plasti dip grip test

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by MrApathy, Apr 29, 2007.

1. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

testing out applying plasti dip spray color black to a mossberg 500 pistol grip I had lying around.
    cleaned the grip then applied duro all purpose spray adhesive to the grip. then gave it a coat of plasti dip spray.

not done yet.

been experimenting with a shotgun with folding stock and have done mods to the stock to make it better.
    one was to make the grip friendlier to my hand which worked great but recoil from pistol grip alone is still bit much.
    rubber slip on grip doesnt fit the handle to well. dont want to put grip tape on this hell I had a fairly smooth finish on the grip
    fired 3" magnum shell and got a instant blister on my thumb from friction. glass filled plastic. set out way to lessen recoil.

post more info when I get results.

the black plasti dip was $5 a can of 11oz
    adhesive was $10

http://www.plastidip.com

2. madecov

madecov Active Member

Post pics of the grip as things progess

3. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

oh.... i knew you hurt your thumb on the pistol grip, but it never dawned on me that you were shooting 3" magnum...with ONLY the pistol grip.

that's a serious load to take in the web of your hand!!!! if it's a home defense shottie, you may find 2 3/4 with No. 1 buckshot is much more comfortable to shoot.

i find high powered rifles to be more comfortable to shoot than a lot of those magnum 00 and 000 buckshot loads.

maybe you could find a forward grip. that may help as well.

keep us posted on your progress.

4. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

Na wasnt so much the thumb but center of the hand where it meets the wrist. When I hurt my hand it was 2-3/4" magnum 00 buckshot 9 pellet probably just a little shy the recoil the 3" 12 pellet has.
    took a belt sander to the grip and gave it a testing and works much better.
    used 3" magnum 00 buck after modded not before and my hand only got slightly sore nothing like before.
    before modding my hand hurt good for 2 weeks. 1 week it had to be in a metal shunt reinforced
    hand and wrist brace. was not a fun time.
    firing the 3" magnum 00 buck the gun jumped good wound up with instant blister on thumb trying to hold the pistol grip was very small though compared to blister you may find on a toe or foot.

anymore firing 2-3/4" shells magnum buckshot or rifled slugs is quite tolerable from the reshaped grip.

dont plan on shooting 3" magnum 00 buck much wanted to test the modded pistol grip. pretty sure when I do use it I will have the stock
    extended. its a ATI sidefolding stock. made mistake of buying some 3" magnum anymore I stick with the 2-3/4".
    adding nylon strap to handguard pump in mossberg fashion.

5. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

glad it's working better. how's the plasti-dip holding up?

i've felled quite a few 135-170 lb. deer with 2 3/4 00 buck. i would consider it an excellent home defense round.

6. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

the coating is going slow with the spray can. wonder how the spray on truck bed liner works that could be another possibility.

dip may work better for getting thick coat faster dunno for sure.

coating as much as I can every 30-60 minutes. needs 4 hours drying after final application.

dont doubt 00buck for defense. its not my first choice(7-1/2 is) though 00 is a close second.

7. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

spray is best when done in thin coats otherwise it globs.

my first test grip is dry. not very thick probably about the size of a piece of paper nothing for cushion.
    it is definitely non slip. if you dont like it when its applied just let it dry and you can peal it off like a orange.

its strong stuff when dried. resist abrasion fairly well. not stretched to easily. strong.

used a bottle on a grip. after pealing off the coat I applied its about like snake skin.

I bought some neoprene rubber tool box matting that could be used to cushion a grip.

spraying your grip with spray adhesive then a layer or two of plasti dip then let it dry add some more adhesive.
    taylor some neoprene matting cuttings to how you want apply to the adhesive covered part then spray a layer of plasti dip to cover it and close it.

8. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member