Picked up a Taurus TCP

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by Waltherfan01, May 22, 2013.

1. Waltherfan01

Waltherfan01 New Member

Today I was able to take my Taurus TCP out for a spin, and I must say she handles like a dream. Between me, my wife, and a friend of mine, the little TCP shot 80 rounds of cheap Russian ammo ($8 for a box of 50), and 50 American Eagle (or some such) flawlessly! I had no failures to feed or to extract. In fact, the only problems occurred when my wife shot it: the slide would lock back on each round (I think she was limp wristing). Neither me nor my friend experienced any difficulty or problems. The only complaint I have is the gun powder blown back all over my arms from the cheap Russian stuff. All I shot was FMJs, no hollow points, though I'm pretty sure she will gobble those up like a champ. In comparison to my normal carry gun, a Bersa Thunder 380, I have to say that recoil was no more prevalent, and in some ways the TCP was more comfortable to shoot (the Bersa's beavertail digs into my hand, leaving a nasty bruise after 50 rounds). I will say that after 130 rounds of ammo my trigger finger was sore from the snap. Groups were consistently well within the 8, 9, and 10 rings for all three of us. I would trust my life to this little shooter.

2. pepitomenegazzo

pepitomenegazzo New Member

I have the same gun for back up.... and it spits JHP like a dream.. I use Hornady Critical Defense on it.

Its a great little gun!!

Greetings

3. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

I also acquired one of these. 100% reliable so far with FMJ. My only negative is that there was a good amount of recoil transmitted to the web of my hand which did sting a good bit. I am generally not at all recoil sensitive so I suspect it was due to how my hand fits the grip. Next time with the gun I will alter my grip to see if it helps. I will then assess the gun further to see if it will be used further. I will keep the gun either way as it was so inexpensive and wouldn't bring much in a sale or trade. I might also try a grip sleeve. I would add that I think this is more an issue peculiar to me as I have not heard other complaints such as mine. I know it isn't a range gun, but no gun should hurt to shoot from the first shot. I will also try different ammo.

4. Waltherfan01

Waltherfan01 New Member

My buddy was breaking in a Diamondback DB9 at the same time I was breaking in my TCP. I have to say that the DB9, though slightly bigger, was a lot snappier and it did hurt my hand. Buzz, try looking at this link, http://gallowayprecision.com/taurus-performance/738-tcp-performance/ They say they will soon have an 11lb recoil spring for the TCP which would reduce felt recoil. I think I might pick one up when they get them in stock. That spring and a nice grip sleeve might help the perceived recoil on this little shooter.

5. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Thanks Waltherfan. Will definitely follow up with that. For now until the spring is avaialable I will try different ammo. My first time out was with S&B which does tend to be hot. Nonetheless, an impressive little gun.

6. elsullo

elsullo Member

I really wanted one too, until I discovered that it is a SINGLE ACTION pistol! With the gun chambered it is fully cocked, and with the manual safety off as in normal carry, the only safety is the long trigger pull. Just don't pocket carry without a pocket holster!..................elsullo

7. Waltherfan01

Waltherfan01 New Member

Elsullo, the TCP is DAO, not single action, is hammer fired, and has no manual safety. It's a great little shooter to boot! I carry in my front pocket in an Uncle Mikes pocket holster. The gun just disappears! You should really consider picking one up :)

8. elsullo

elsullo Member

Aack! You are correct. I mixed this up with the Taurus PT709 Slim---THAT is the single-action one, as is the new Millenium G2..................elsullo