Picatinny to Picatinny rail adapter.

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by TheGuyver, Mar 1, 2006.

1. TheGuyver

TheGuyver New Member

Guys, I'm thinking of doing this for my Bushy, but it would work for any rifle with a under foregrip Picatinny rail.

I'm thinking about taking this scope mount;

[​IMG]
    (Clicky for a larger image)

And then having a gunsmith create a picatinny to picatinny adapter, so I can mount the actual Steyr M40-A1 to the fore rail of my Bushmaster Bullpup, to use the Pistol itself as the foregrip. So in actuality, should the need arise, I can use the rifle for long range, while taking care of short range problems with the .40, all at the same time.

The Scope mount it'self seems to be made from stern materials, and run on both sides of the slide, so they will provide enough support the front of the bullpup, which isn't that heavy to start with. The final picture should look something like this;

[​IMG]
    (Clicky for a larger image)

What do you guys think?

2. DKHAN

DKHAN New Member

I think that this is a sick world and I am a happy camper. 8-O I love your idea and wish you the best. Mechanically it should work much like a m16/m203. I have seen them adapted w/shotgun in place of grenade launcher (see Predator w/Arnalhd). The only question would be the cycling of the pistol. The mount would need to be very secure on top of the pistol slide and might interfere with brass ejection. I wonder if it would be possible to modify the pistol (ie shut off the gas ?) and make it function like a pump shotgun (fire a round and rack the frame )? That way you could control the extraction of the brass. Otherwise you have a moving front foregrip while shooting.I wonder if you could make the mount attach to the frame of the pistol instead of the slide ? That way it would cycle without interference. Anyway it sure sounds like fun, good luck and keep us posted.

3. TheGuyver

TheGuyver New Member

The IGB mount attaches to the P'rail on the frame of the Pistol, not the slide, it comes around the slide on both sides, in fact, in the picture, the slide is not even attached to the pistol to show this. The pistol will not move at all when firing. Take a closer look in the upper picture. :)

The mount is also designed not to interfere with brass ejection, that's why I want to use it, and not make my own. I can always reinforce it if needed, but it doesn't look like it would need it.

4. Sound25

Sound25 New Member

I might be wrong, but I think that the mount attaches to the polymer frame, not the slide, so it should be a stable platform, without the gun actually moving, the brass should not be happered... Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Guyver, this is an awsome idea, and I wish you the best of luck. I would love to see the pictures of the finished model, and videos if you can post them. Once I buy a bullpup for myself, I think that I will do this myself if it works out for you!

5. TheGuyver

TheGuyver New Member

I've got a Gunsmith/Machinist looking into this, it may constitute an SBR or AOW, but that would just constitute extra Taxes, and paper work to do this. I'll post more as this topic matures.

6. Syntax360

Syntax360 Moderator

Wow - i'm impressed. Nice workup of what the product will look like. Very innovative idea - I sure hope you pursue it so we can all see the finished product.

I especially like the red dot/laser sighting ideas. I was beginning to wonder how you planned on aiming the M40.

Good job!

7. TheGuyver

TheGuyver New Member

Well, I got to see a pic of a prototype, half finished. I'm likeing it so far, the smith is building a slide on style with allen set screws. The finished producht will be more like what BSA Red Dot scopes use to attach to the frame, just to make it easy. Or, I may redesign and go with a quick disconect.

8. TheGuyver

TheGuyver New Member

I've just about finished the design on the adapter, and I like the way it turned out.

[​IMG]