Performed My Duties As A Steyr Ambassador - Range Report

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Longshot, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Longshot

Longshot Member

My brother in law bought himself a Sig 229 .40 for his birthday and said he was proud to have paid less than $600 for it :shock:. We went to a range this Monday to get acquainted with his new toy and I brought my M40 (CDNN $325 in '05) as not to be empty handed. Let me apologize upfront to anyone that's got a 229 for what I'm about to say. It was not a good experience for my bro in law. I went first with my trusty m40...1st shot center of the 10 ring...9 to follow inside a 3 inch group from 20 feet. I'm sure many out there are better, but I can expect that every time. 200 rounds 1 FTE and I may have limp-wristed, popping from target to target during that final magazine flurry. The Sig however would not stay inside 6 inches. 100 rounds no failures, but the trigger was squishy and oddly beveled...I felt like I could not resist pulling it right. The top of the handle was bulky and did not support a tight, left thumb, right thumb fit (my hands are not small). A lot of light on each side of the front sight. I'm not the most disciplined shooter and we only tried 2 different types of ammo, REM 180 gr JHP's and BLAZER 180 FMJ, but c'mon...neither of us could keep this thing on a paper plate for a whole mag. So I kidded him a little and said, "shoot mine, make sure it's not just you...keep the traingle just inside the rear sight and the point on what you want to hit". He shot a 4 inch group from 20 feet...when we left he asked me where I got mine and how much I paid for it...he said he was going to buy two.

-Longshot

2. Longshot

Longshot Member

Oops!

$325 in '03 from CDNN....not '05

3. DoctorW

DoctorW New Member

$600 less for a P229 is really a bargin!
    But I do not really like Sig anyway. I found Sigs always kick harder. I can easily feel that P229 kicks harder than Glock23, and P226 kicks harder than Glock19, although the Sigs are much heavier than Glocks.

To my opinion, M40A1 kicks just like Glock19, softer than Glock23. That is really amazing.

4. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

It's an amazing gun that tightens it grip on your heart the more you shoot it....now if I can only get this trigger to a clean crisp 3-4 pounds....

5. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

...thats cuz SIGS have a barrel bore axis that is about 6 feet higher than the Glocks/Steyrs......

:roll: :roll: :roll:

6. Longshot

Longshot Member

He didn't do it!!!

He changed his mind and traded it in for an H&K USP .40...guess we'll have to go out again this weekend and I'll see if my M40 and I can beat another high-dollar pistol.

-Longshot

7. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Re: He didn't do it!!!

It's a tough job, but some Steyroid has got to do it!

Give 'em heck. :mrgreen:

8. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

In terms of accuracy and utility, the Steyr is the equivalent or better of any factory pistol out there. It's probably on a par for reliability with any of them. Glock might have a slim edge in abuse tolerance, but I don't know that.

I'm not a bit surprised that a Steyr M-series shot better than a Sig, and Sigs are nice pistols. I'd expect that, over many pistols, they'd average out to be close to each other in terms of accuracy. The Steyr gets the advantage in recoil control, in my experience.

9. I'll take the Steyr any day of the week and twice on Sunday over an HK.

The HKs have to be about the most over priced pistols on the planet in my opinion. The ergonomics suck and the trigger pull and resets are long and heavy. Muzzle flip compared to a Steyr is insane with the HKs.

I know the Steyr through cdnn or even new through Davidson's isn't expensive, but it will out perform more expensive pistols all day long. Price is no measure of how good a pistol is.

10. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

I can't hit much with an HK.
    The more the power of the cartridge the better the Steyr feels compared to others. Would love to feel a .45 M Series

11. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Yes, I would too. The 1911 is an easy shooting gun, and with a Steyr bore axis I'd love to know how fast that second shot lines up.