Pair of Aces

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Netfotoj, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

My new M9-A1 arrived today and without even firing a shot yet, I'm willing to bet I've got a pair of Aces in hand. Here's my M357-A1 at left and the new M9-A1 at right.
    [​IMG]

I forgot to order a Hogue Handall Grip for the M9-A1 like the black one on my M357-A1. So I asked the gun dealer where I had it shipped if he had a Hogue Handall? Yep, but only one in OD Green. I started to say no without even looking at it, but he pulled it out and I held my tongue. It's actually more Dark Earth or whatever they're calling Iraq/Afghan sand colors. It's a pretty close match to the color of the slide, so I bought it to give it a try.

With a little bit of hairspray and a lot of tugging, I got it on and I think I'll keep it. Gives me a visual check on which one of the twins is the 357 Sig and which one is the 9mm.

More good news. I got my Lyman Digital Trigger Gauge out and my new M9-A1 just slightly edges out my M357-A1 by half an ounce lighter! And this is stock out of the box, while my M357-A1 has Big Taco's trigger smoothing magic plus around 1,000 rounds or more downrange. The M9-A1 measures an average of 10 pulls at 5 lbs., 10.0 oz. while the M357-A1 measures an average of 5 lbs., 10.5 oz. Not a bad start. Range trip Saturday. :mrgreen:

2. nalioth

nalioth New Member

Beautiful couple ya got there [​IMG]

3. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

Looks sweet!!!

I like the color of the grip too.....

4. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Bring out the twins!!!!!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

5. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Nice combo! 8)

Yes, range report. :twisted:
    _______
    mugdava

6. steyrile

steyrile Member

Fraternal twins...
    :lol:
    Health, peace
    steyrile

7. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I've been fighting the bug that ate Chicago for the past two weeks, but if I'm feeling froggy tomorrow, I plan to do the Rooster Cogburn drill once again, M357-A1 in one hand and M9-A1 in the other. I did it last spring with my M357-A1 and M40-A1. Most fun I've had in a while.

That would make it a 5-pistol day. I gotta shoot my brand-spanking new S&W Model 21 .44 Special wheel gun that I've never fired, plus I got some new "full capacity" mags for my Llama IX-C .45, one 14-rd. and one 20-rd! And to make five, my CZ75 SP01 Custom has only had two mags shot through her since she came back from the shop, so she needs some work. Looks like it will be two 9s, 1 .44 Special, 1 357 Sig and 1 .45 ACP. Gonna be busy. :mrgreen:

8. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Yes indeedy, I got a pair of Aces on this deal. Shot the M9-A1 today, right out of the box. Didn't even field-strip it or nuthin', just peeped inside, she looked clean so I loaded up my four mags and took her for a spin. No flubs, dubs, nothing but el perfecto performance!

It was a four-pistol day, new M9-A1, M357-A1, also brand-new never-fired S&W Model 21 .44 Special wheel gun and two new mags to try for my Llama IX-C .45 ACP. Here's the lineup, the M9-A1 is wearing the Desert Tan Hogue grip, the M357-A1 is in basic black, as usual.

[​IMG]

Here's my 10-year-old grandson Logan letting the .44 Special rip. He ain't scare of nuthin', including the Big Bad G29!

[​IMG]

Here's my son, shooting the M9-A1.

[​IMG]

Here's Logan, shooting his dad's new pistol, a Llama Mini-Max .45 ACP, 10 rounds in a mighty small and nasty package.

[​IMG]

And last, here's yours truly doing my Rooster Cogburn imitation, M357-A1 in the right hand, M9-A1 in the left. Got that Rooster gut thing going, too.

[​IMG]

Tried out the Canned Heat ammo in 357 Sig from Georgia Arms in the M357-A1. Hot stuff! I could really tell the difference between right hand and left! That Canned Heat is way hotter than Winchester White Box or any other FMJ or TMJ load I've shot so far.

Only bobble of the day was one of the two new mags I got from CDNN for my M357-A1 may have caused two FTE's on the Rooster drill. Need to open up all of my Steyr mags and count the spring leaves to see if I got any of those dad-blasted Clinton-ban 10 rd. springs.

Both the new mags for the Llama worked without a hiccup, one 14-rd. and one 20-rd. which sticks out from the grip just a bit. And I got Logan signed up to join the 4-H shooting team next Saturday and bought him a military surplus Romanian .22LR match rifle.

As if I needed an excuse to go to the range, I'll now be there at least two Saturdays a month helping out with my grandson's team in .22 rifle and shotgun shooting. Sometimes us grandparents just have to reach down deep and make big sacrifices for our grandkids! :bs: :mrgreen:

9. heavymetalmachine

Looks like a GREAT day at the range..

10. heavymetalmachine

Oh and I got the same ear muffs your sons wearing....

I like them I wear them at work with my ear buds from my mp3 player...

11. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

put the handguns down!!!

get the beagles and some shotguns cause i KNOW there's rabbits in them thar woods!!!!

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee HHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWW.....

nice m9!!

12. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

A good day in the woods, youngins', family and cordite in the air....... :party: Hey, I'm thinking maybe that Roaster recoil, one handed caused them there FTE's..........

13. steyrile

steyrile Member

THAT's a VERY good point!
    Health, Peace, Out
    steyrile

14. Fireof59

Fireof59 New Member

Net,
    I looked at the Hogue grips. Is there a certain model/part number you get for the Steyr. I was thinking about getting one for my M40. There seemed to be a lot of choices...

15. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

See Slip-on Grips FAQ

As outlined there, you can go with either of two Hogue grips, the Hogue Handall for pistols or the Hogue Handall tool grip. Or you can make your own from an inner tube.

I like the Handall pistol grip, available at most gun stores or online everywhere. Syntax and others love the Handall tool grip in the small size, though some claim it's such a PITA to put on, they prefer the medium size. YMMV.

16. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Finally got around to telling the story on my own site of my new M9-A1, which is "Baddest Tactical Pistol No. 4."

In case any of you Steyroids are Internet Explorer browser users, which is probably most of you, my apologies. I neglected to check the two previous pages I built for "Baddest Tactical Pistol (Revolver) No. 3" and "Baddest Tactical Pistols Nos. 1 & 2" to see how they look in IE.

I use Firefox browser and got lazy. Much to my chagrin, when I took a look at them today in IE, I had to go back and fiddle around for several hours to fix them to look right for IE. Have I mentioned lately that I hate Internet Explorer? :evil: Firefox is a better browser, but then it's not a perfect world and I still need to make my webpages work for IE browsers, too. Oh well. :mrgreen: