Pair of .22s for a 9

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by Netfotoj, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

With cash in hand from the sale of my S&W 669 9mm (plus a little extra from some website work), I went down to my favorite gun store in fabulous downtown Wagram, NC, with two weapons in mind: a .22 auto target pistol and a Ruger .44 mag. carbine. You might say the big and the small of it all. I had been in the store a few months before in the summer and discovered they had three Ruger .44 mag carbines, but had pistol buying on my mind then.

But guess what happened since then, deer hunting season. Not a single Ruger .44 mag carbine to be had. "They sat here for months and then flew out of here when hunting season started. Come back in January when the bills come due and you can probably get one then," the gun salesman/gunsmith said.

So I dropped off my Llama .45 with the gunsmith to get an ambi safety installed to make it lefty friendly for me and then browsed for my second objective, a .22 target pistol.

First I found a S&W 22A-1 target model with 5.5" bull barrel and Hi-Viz sights, exactly what I had considered earlier but had elected to get a 9mm auto instead. So I got it.

[​IMG]

I went on my merry way figuring I'd look elsewhere for a Ruger .44 mag carbine.

But when I went back the next day to get my Llama with ambi safety installed, I made the fatal/happy mistake of browsing around a bit more. There in the counter alongside a pair of Colt Woodsman .22 autos (priced at $900 and $1,000 respectively!) was an identical looking Colt Huntsman .22. I had to pick it up and that was it. A bit of dickering and it was mine for a mere $300. I've been wanting a Woodsman for decades since I shot a Navy buddy's but they are not only scarce, they're too durned expensive! And I discovered with a bit of research that the Huntsman is a later post-WWII version of the Woodsman.

[​IMG]

I also discovered with a bit of googling that Huntsman's are going for $500+ at online gun auctions! I won't sell mine if it will shoot worth a lick, but it's nice to know what it's worth.

I'll be taking this pair of .22s plus my "wife's" Walther P22 up to Pittsburgh for Christmas and should be able to file a range report there, with the assistance of BigTaco, too. :mrgreen:

2. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Very Nice, Netfoto....

Wish I could go shooting with you guys.....

Merry X-MAS!!!!

3. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Re: Pair of .22s: Range report

Went shooting with my son-in-law in Pittsburgh over the holiday and put some rounds through my CZ75 SP01 Custom, Llama .45 ACP and two .22s, S&W 22-A1 and Colt Huntsman.

The CZ shoots fine, but occasionally jams, so I sent it back to Angus Hobdell to sort that out. The Llama shoots fine, but the right side of the new ambi safety I had installed just before the trip went flying off the frame somewhere during the first magazine. Back to the gunsmith with that.

Finally, both .22s shot just fine. The 30-year-old Colt Huntsman outdid the brand-spanking-new S&W, but nothing wrong it that a little sight adjustment won't fix.

Here's the Colt Huntsman target, 11x17" Red Man, 21 feet, offhand, nine rounds at the head (mag's supposed to hold 10 but will only take nine. No biggie for me).

[​IMG]

And here's the SW 22-A1, 10 rds. at the head, just a bit off to the left. Also shot a tighter group with the Colt.

[​IMG]

After less than satisfactory results with the 9 and the .45 it was nice to see something work right. Gotta sit down with my bench rest and zero the SW 22-A1 and then get it a 'scope. Also ordered the big, fat wooden target hand grip from S&W for the 22-A1.

4. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

The Colt Hunstman .22LR got turned into a S&W Model 21 .44 Special revolver and I just got a new set of target grips for the S&W 22A-1 model. Ain't she purty!

[​IMG]

Also picked up a TruGlo Red Dot 2.5x scope that I'll be trying out on the SW22A-1, hopefully next weekend. This week's been a disaster with the meanest flu bug in the history of man. :evil:

5. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Hey Net,
    Have you lost that little white plastic piece in the Smith 22 while cleaning yet???? I had one fly across the room :doh: Called Smith and they sent me two just in case........ :lol: O, the Smith's paint job came off with the first cleaning. Evidently the Smith guy said the sub contractor used the wrong paint. They sent me a free mailer and returned a refinished gun free of any charges.....that was years ago............glad you got the wood grip...that was on mine.......you got a better shaped grip then I had on mine........

6. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

What little white plastic piece? Haven't seen it yet, unless I lost it and didn't know it. It still shot fine after the first and only time I stripped it and cleaned it. If it's there, it's still there.

These are the "Silverwood" grips I've seen come installed on a couple of SW22A-1s:
    [​IMG]

S&W was sold out and couldn't even give me a date when they'd be back in stock as they are made by an outside supplier. I finally found them at Big Buck Enterprises, but they also had the different ones, which I bought, for $5 more. Feel pretty good for my big hands.

I'm planning to put the 2.5X Red Dot I bought on it this weekend and try it out. :mrgreen:

7. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Yep, those are the grips I have. I worked them a little in the wood shop and put some skateboard tape on. Maybe they redesigned the insides to despense with the little plastic piece, but its attached to some other part and a spring, so if you didn't strip it totally, you may not have noticed it........when it goes, you'll know. :lol: