P99

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by socofn, Aug 15, 2007.

1. socofn

socofn New Member

Even thought I love my M40, I am looking at the walther P99 and really like the look and feel. I was wondering if anyone else has strayed and what their experience is with the Walther P99? thanks in advance. JP

2. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya soc* :)

Walther P99's are great fun. Little more recoil per caliber than the Steyr counterparts, the trigger's travel quite a bit more, but all in all, very accurate and very dependable, IMHO. I hadda P99 9MM that my gal really liked at first, but happily upgraded to an S9-A1, first op. Again, IMHO, onna the best options in today's market for a reasonably priced SD firearm. Enjoy! :)

Wulf

3. jetsiphon

jetsiphon New Member

I had one and sold it. I wish I hadn't have sold it.

4. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

I have a P99 AS in .40 S&W (home defense), a P99 Compact QA in 9mm (potential carry gun) and a SW99 in .45. I highly recommend any one of those guns. I would only recommend the Compact in 9mm. It is important that you learn about the two primary trigger types, the AS (Anti-Stress) and the QA (Quick Action). For a full size gun I prefer the AS, and for a compact carry type gun the QA is my preferred. If you go to the Walther Forum http://www.waltherforums.com/vb/ and do a search under AS and QA the trigger types will be well described.

Walthers are some of the very best guns made, but often overlooked. Ypu will find them accurate, reliable, extremely well built, and as cool as all get out.

Buzz

5. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Buzz (or should I call you Que when we are talking Walthers?): I don't own one but I have shot about 400 rounds thru 2 P99s, and the trigger is a very long pull with greater recoil as Wulf says. It is a nice gun, but the trigger and low bore axis on the Steyr makes me think you might not like the P99 as much as you would if you had only shot Glocks, HKs, or SIGs before.

6. socofn

socofn New Member

Fortunately or unfortunately the only 2 pistols I have ever owned was a Baretta 9mm, which I upgraded to an M 40. My experience is a little limited. Thanks for all the input and help. JP

7. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

If you are talking .40, I think you will like the shootability of your current M40 a lot more than the P99.
    I have only shot 50 rounds of .40 in the P99 and I did not like it nearly as much as the 9mm.
    But I must admit to being biased against the .40, compared to the 9mm and .45.

8. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Hey SELFDEFENSE. That's a good point about comparing the P99 to the Steyr, Glock, Sigs and HKs. I've done that a good bit as my "arsenal" is made up largely of Walther, Sig, Glock, Steyr and HK, I've found that each gun has something about it of merit that allows me to justify owning it. HKs being supreme in reliability, modular, and nicely accurate. Steyr for shootability (low recoil/flip), Glocks for reliability and durability, and Sigs and Walthers for bit of all of the above. Yes, the Walther P99 in .40 has more muzzle flip and recoil (recoil isn't an issue with me) than the M40, but it is a sweet shooting gun and an accurate gun nonetheless. I have real difficulty with 40/9mm comparisons as I think that shooters of each caliber are looking for different performance and should understand that there will be compromises with either. I think that the Walther in .40 tends to minimize the compromises that one makes in going with the .40 and offers a platform that features the best features available.

On the other hand, the M40/M40A1 is very arguably the king .40 of the lot. There is supreme shootability, durability, more than acceptable accuracy for a combat pistol, and a gun that was designed arounfd the .40, not adapted to it. The only fly in the ointment have ben some reliability issues that while mostly resolved, still raise enough doubt to put some off. While Glock could score similar marks (except lower in shootability) I would never own a Glock in .40.

Of course .357 Sig is the real king :twisted:

Buzz

9. madecov

madecov Active Member

I just qualified with a P99 for work.
    It is a very nice gun and the ergonomics are about as good as the Steyr.

Walther just doesn't do any real advertising here in the US.

The manual of arms on the Walther is very different since it has a deckocker on the slide and paddle magazine release.

All in all a very nice firearm.

10. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

hehehehe...

Yep. Think of it as a 9MM Mag with less recoil than the 40 SW and more performance. That's why the military and LEO organizations are expressing more of an interest. Hava great weekend, Boys. :)

Wulf

11. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Wulf warned me ahead of time that I wouldn't like the M40-A1 as much as my M357-A1, but I bought it anyway because of the great deal from CDNN. If I had bought the 40 first, I'd probably been happy as a clam. But it just wasn't as much fun as shooting my 357, so in the end I decided to swap it for a subcompact S&W 669 9mm.

And if I wasn't satisfied with a Steyr M40-A1, I seriously doubt I'll ever consider a .40 made by anybody else.

12. nuj

nuj New Member

hi socofn,
    i know that it's already september and i hope this will help you in some way. if you're planning on buying a walther p99 in any model or already acquired one, just DON'T DRY FIRE it without a dummy round. the gun is ok but firing pin is a really weak. i had two of them, both in 9mm and 40 cal., broke due to accidental dry firing, that's the reason why i sold them and got a steyr instead.
    so just remember to buy a dummy round if your planning to dryfire the gun alot ok

13. socofn

socofn New Member

Thanks NUJ. I apperciate the valuable input from everyone. JP

14. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

I have two P99s - one the compact .40, the other the f/s 9mm. I love 'em both. Along with the MA1, probably the most under-rated, under marketed polymer gun.

15. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

Walther - all I can say is I loved how soft the trigger was when at the gun shop, have not fired one so I cannot comment on that aspect.

40 Cal - I don't get why so many don't like this round. I am just really confused. I don't see much difference between it and a 9mm as far as recoil, flip and whatever. Hell I don't see much diff in feel between a 9mm, 40S&W or a 45ACP. Maybe thats because I like guns in the 7inch range, not to much bigger and not too much smaller but I have yet to feel like ohh my gosh....kinda seems like the difference between a computer that is 3ghz and 3.4ghz....almost not perceptable to me....and I shoot equally well with all of them...although admittadly I am not the fastest shooter (which I could shoot like that dude in worldpax's siggy)

16. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

My take on the .40SW is exactly the same as yours. Having said that I reload .40SW and tend to shoot 'em on the light side. But even the factory stuff is not the arm wrestler many make it out to be - keep in mind, with practice comes proficiency. And although today's 9mm is much improved in terms of its stopping ability, all things considered I'd rather go against a bad guy with a .40SW, .357 SIG or .45 ACP. But by no means should anyone feel under-gunned with a reliable, high capacity 9mm.

17. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I'm not a .40 fan and I thought I would be, just judging by numbers and being a card-carrying member of the "bigger is better" school of philosophy. But when I bought a M40-A1 and shot it double-handed, .40 in the right and M357-A1 in the left, I just plain didn't like as much as the 357. I burned up 50 rounds thinking it might grow on me but it didn't. Just something a little bit strange, sort of an odd torque or something that I just didn't enjoy shooting. It's just different and not as much fun to shoot as a .45 ACP, 10mm, 9mm, .38 Special or 357 Magnum.

So I asked myself, why keep a pistol I don't enjoy shooting, when there's so many other pistols out there I want? I decided what I wanted most was a subcompact in 9mm or .357 Sig, so I went looking for a trade and found a S&W 669, a 3.5" barrel 9mm with alloy frame and 15-round mags. It ain't a S357-A1, but it's a sweet-shooting little pistol so I was happy to work out a trade with the dealer.

And I kinda doubt I'll own another .40 since if I didn't like the Steyr version, can't imagine anybody doing it better. Now if somebody offered me a free .40 auto, I wouldn't turn it down. But I must just sell or trade it.

So I guess the old saying "different strokes for different folks" applies to .40. Does for me anyway. :mrgreen:

18. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

Strokes for folks is right because I will never get why a dude would want a chick to stomp on his nuts....the thing you say about the 40 is weird because that is how I feel about the 9mm. It whips more than pushes and the 40 pushes more than whips (in my hands). As I am a big dude (but short) with bones the size of 2x4's push works better for me (well thats my opinion and I am stickin to it).