P22 vs. Neos

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by Netfotoj, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I'm debating a purchase of a .22 semi-auto that hopefully will kill two birds with one pistol, to mangle a phrase. I want a .22 to alternate with at the range with my M357-A1 and my S&W 1076 10mm. Theory is by mixing .22 in with the two higher powers it will help with concentration on the basics, good grip habits, sight picture, et c., and also head off any tendency to develop a flinch from too many high-powered rounds at any one range session.

Second bird: My dear wife is gunaphobic and I'm hoping the .22 will get her over the fear and actually learn to enjoy pistol shooting. She shot my .357 Magnum S&W Model 19 revolver once with .38s and admitted afterward she "sort of enjoyed it." The Model 19 was sacrificed to buy my M357-A1 so now I'm looking at two .22 semi-autos at my local gun dealer.

Like-NIB Walther P22 is her admitted favorite are handling it at the dealer. The small grip and the light weight is what she liked about it.

Other gun I'm considering is a NIB Beretta Neos. Both are same price.

Dealer also has a well-used High Standard for same price. It's one of the 20-some-year-old models before the current company bought the name. Bore looks good but the slide has three big ol' rust splotches, so if I get that one I'll have to pony up to get it reblued. Call me a neat freak, but I can't abide a gun of mine to be rusty. Plus, it's all steel and quite a bit heavier than the P22 or Neos, so it's my wife's third and distant choice.

So there's the possibilities. I suppose I could shop around and find a good used Ruger or a Buckmark in the same price range, $250, but the wife likes the P22 fine and puts the Neos a close second, so why look more?

I know several of you Steyroids have P22's and I've seen mention of a Neos in a few posts. Help me out here, what should I get?

2. squirrelpotpie

squirrelpotpie Premium Member

Hi NetfotoJ,

Don't have either one but your best bet is to get the one SHE likes. Especially, if your aim is to get her in to shooting. There are probably more durable and more accurate 22s out there but the Walther is probably just fine for its intended purpose.

I do have a ruger MK III that shoots with extreme accuracy, but is a real pain to reassemble - ya gotta have everthing just right and give it a few whacks.

3. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

would recommend a visit to http://rimfirecentral.com
    lots of info on 22lr pistols. probably the best source for info on Walther P22 they can be finicky and require some tuning.

dont know much about the NEO's but have seen one operate smoothly throughout a fellow shooters range visit.

4. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Been there, done that, plus a few more. My search found both yeas and nays on both P22s and Neos, about equal on both. I figured Steyroids are "smarter than your average glocker" so I'll let their comments decide it.

But my gut tells me squirrelpotpie is right.
    Helloooo, P22.

5. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya *foto* :)

Let me tell ya from the voice of experience, go with the Walther P22 and don't bother with the 5" bbl neither. I was kinda doin' exactly what you are attempting, "gettin' a gal interested in shootin' but not wantin' to overwhelm them with recoil and noise", if I get your intent. I got my gal a Neos with a 6" barrel and she kinda liked the Starwars look to it and the grip felt good to her.

[​IMG]

Hell, it felt good to me, too. <shrug> But, the trigger was sh*t. <shrug> We took it out often and she got used to it in less than 1500 rounds she was gettin' bored with the game of dancin' cans. I wanted a P22 for myself and finally bought one that was very cheap because it was "burned", or whatever. I got it for $120 on Gunbroker. When it arrived, I called up Walther and made arrangements to send it in to get the grip frame replaced. They sent me a prepaid sticker and a box to send it to them directly through FedEx and I sent it back to them and they sent it back to me good as new. No FFL required, only someone 18 years old to sign for it when it got back to me. Long story short, they sent it back "pristine" and didn't charge me anything! I mean fuckin' nada. Problem was, soon as it hit my g/f's little hands, it was her's. We sold the Neos to a guy that still has it and loves it, but IMHO, its no match for the compact and accurate little P22. God how I miss buyin' a brick o' Wal-Mart 22 LR ammo for $9.00. I made the mistake of puttin' a P99 9MM in her hands less than a year later and that's her's now, too. (Wulf <-- cursin' under his breath.) Now, I'm reloadin' the shit outta 9MM ammo for her to play with. As a final note, I recently bought onna the last S9-A1's form Davidson's. It's an absolute sweetheart to carry and shoot. Needless to say, it's her's now, too. I sold the Walther P99 9MM to recover the capital to onna my shootin' buddies for $600 and some dirt work round the house...bout $800 on the deal. I got no complaints and he's thrilled with it. IMHO, the Walther P99 is a superb firearm. I still have a Titanium P99 40SW. <shrug> Sorry to take up so much of your evening, but I thought it may lend some merrit to your situation. G'luck, *foto* and have fun with it. Best way I've found to get them interested is teach 'em a little safety first, then throw a can out pretty close. Let 'em dance it away from 'em...they call the shots of how far is too far away. They'll get it in no time, as long as they feel secure and confident. Also, make damn sure they have matching eyewear and ear protection, "latest style"... for them to accessorize, if ya catch my drift. Eventually, SAI will have it together and the new S9-A1's will be available to you. Heaven forbid should she ever have one in her practiced little paws.... 8-O

Wulf

6. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Wulf,

You're onto me. My plan is P22 today, S9A1 tomorrow; then S357A1?

And thanx for the tip on the lousy Neos trigger. I was leaning that way, despite my sweetie's preference for the P22. Now I shall stick with Plan A.

Knowing S&W service stands behind Walther's P22 is a real big plus, too.

BTW, my AMT .22 mag allows you to dry fire safely when the safety is engaged. Can you do that with the P22 or Neos without damaging the firing pin? I asked the gun dealer to let me try out the triggers and he refused.

Just curious. Is it a case of gun dealer ignorance or a lousy Neos trigger that will kill a sale if dry-fired?

7. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

dry firing rimfire is not considered good for firing pins and strikers.
    more so than with centerfire.

+1 on S&W service

8. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Winner is....P22!

Thanks for all the advice, fellow Steyroids. In the end, Wulf's advice that the Neos trigger sux, plus squirrelpotpie's sage advice to get what the little woman wants led me to the Walther P22.

Picked it up Friday after work. Just got back from the range. She's a sweet little shooter and I got her dialed in so the sweet wife can try her out next weekend. Sights were a bit off and oddly enough, the adjustment was the exact reverse of the millet sights on my S&W 1076, but I finally got it.

Here's a target with 10 rapid-fire rounds at 7 yds. (the little holes are .22, big ones are M357-A1's #-o). Target is 11x14" small man.

[​IMG]

It was a bit chilly today, so I didn't linger. More on the P22 next weekend.