Steyr Club Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I missed it in the manual, but I want to use this new pistol as my hiking gun. As such, I would like to be able to run +P ammo, but can't find whether the gun is rated for it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
833 Posts
Defiant munitions is awesome ammunition.
I use it all the time.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just curious, and I'm certainly NOT trying to be a smartass, but WHY would you want to use +p or +P+ ammo nowadays? In the past, they used +P and +p+ because the chances of bullet expansion in 9MM ammo was "iffy" at best, But nowadays you can find 9MM ammo that is both effective and isn't going to prematurely wear out your handgun. Specifically, Underwood ammo makes some excellent non +P ammo that is quite effective:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just curious, and I'm certainly NOT trying to be a smartass, but WHY would you want to use +p or +P+ ammo nowadays? In the past, they used +P and +p+ because the chances of bullet expansion in 9MM ammo was "iffy" at best, But nowadays you can find 9MM ammo that is both effective and isn't going to prematurely wear out your handgun. Specifically, Underwood ammo makes some excellent non +P ammo that is quite effective:
As my hiking gun, I am more concerned with penetration through thick bones and muscle tissue (mountain lion, small bear, etc.) than expansion. Thus +P.

·
Registered
58 Posts
As my hiking gun, I am more concerned with penetration through thick bones and muscle tissue (mountain lion, small bear, etc.) than expansion. Thus +P.
Wow....if you are using a 9MM for a hiking gun, then you are REALLY under-gunned. You'd be much better off with a .44 Magnum or a 10MM. 9MM is adequate for humans, but mountain lion or small bear...you are really taking your chances. +P 9MM isn't going to penetrate deep enough to get the job done. It's just going to expand quicker.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You wouldn't want to use expanding ammunition at all or a careful choice anyway.
May cheer you to hear a ranger brought down a small bear with a 9 mm.
357 Sig - the 9 mm Express would be better though.
I would use the hottest ammo you can find, all things being the same otherwise.

I just got in 100 rounds of TCX and it may be called +P, but the Barnes and this successor are long bullets and take up a lot of space in the case, so less powder.
It's been very successful for hunting, but usually in rifle calibers.
Copper does offer near 100% weight retention.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yep....you need REAL DEEP penetration when you are going up against man-killers. Bears have a lot of grizzle to get through and a tough hide. As for mountain lion, I wouldn't use anything less that a .44 mag on them. If you are going into that kind of country, you'd be better off with a rifle. A .30-06 or .308 will take down any North American animal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow....if you are using a 9MM for a hiking gun, then you are REALLY under-gunned. You'd be much better off with a .44 Magnum or a 10MM. 9MM is adequate for humans, but mountain lion or small bear...you are really taking your chances. +P 9MM isn't going to penetrate deep enough to get the job done. It's just going to expand quicker.
Not talking Grizzlies, though. At worst, small black bears, but those are rare. I certainly wouldn't be using hollow points either.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not talking Grizzlies, though. At worst, small black bears, but those are rare. I certainly wouldn't be using hollow points either.
LOL...then I suggest an MP5 or MAC10. Look, you want to absolutely MINIMIZE the risk to you. You definitely DON'T want to go with "good enough". 9MM is a .38 caliber bullet. Would you use a .38 Special on a mountain lion? It's your life, of course. Carry what you want. Just make sure your life insurance is paid up. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts