+p+ in a S9?

Discussion in 'Ammunition and Reloading' started by icecreamman, May 22, 2005.

1. icecreamman

icecreamman Guest

got hydra shok jhp 124 gr +p+ for my s9 as a defense round with the occasional range trip

am i messing up?

for some reason i don't think they're rated for +p+ though they were designed as a 40 originally and 124 is hardly a hot round so how'd it get rated +p+ to begin with?

2. Guest

Guest Guest

I am no expert but I don't think you'll break your S9 with +p+ ammo but you are certainly shortening its life span (or at least major parts) if you shoot lots of them ... however, your wallet will likely break first! :lol:

Keep in mind that Steyr wundernines are "scaled-down .40's" ... also many foreign 9's are built to handle NATO-spec ammo which is much higher than the SAAMI-spec ammo used here in the States.

Another issue to consider, however, is that not all +p+ ammo is created equal. All you know is that they are above +p pressure levels ... you just don't know HOW MUCH over it is though. Hope this helps!

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Oh and just in case you were wondering ... I NEVER have and likely never will shoot +p+ ammo in any of my guns. I don't even shoot +p but wouldn't object to doing so. IMO, there are enough good-performing standard pressure loads that work in 9mm. Two such examples are the 124 grain Speer Gold Dot and the 147 grain Winchester Ranger T's.

4. icecreamman

icecreamman Guest

well, they're gone then
    only put a clip through it to make sure it'd run em

thanks for the info

5. FlaChef

FlaChef Guest

people have run thousands of rounds of +p and some occaisional +p+.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Yup, as stout as Steyrs are, I have no doubt they can take it but if you don't have to then why stress the pistol with +p+ loads??

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Since most European 9mm Parabellum handguns are fed a steady diet of warm 9mm loads I'd sa ythe occasional +P load thur the S-9 or M-9 would be just fine. YMMV.