outshot with my own rifle!!!!

Discussion in 'Other Rifles' started by bigtaco, Jul 14, 2007.

1. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

went shooting with netfotoj, one of the many north carolinians that makes me proud to call NC my "home town" (state, but you know... same difference)

and his accomplice-in-paper-destruction-crime, hereto referred to as can0beans bested me with my trusty mosin-nagant.

a nice tidy grouping at 50 yards that resulted in a very dead piece0paper.

film at 11

2. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Here's the proof: Five rounds of 7.62x54R from BT's Rooshian rifle at 50 yards, fired by Can0Beans. And this young whippersnapper, my son-in-law, doesn't even shoot regularly, hardly having the time to shoot his Ruger P95. I was too embarrassed to ask if he had ever shot a bolt-action rifle before. He might have said it was the first time!

[​IMG]

I should be even more embarrassed than BT for being outshot with his own rifle. I just bought a 30'06 Remington 742 and zeroed it in, firing the U.S. version of the same round as the Rooshian, and Can0Beans outshot me, too. And I've been shooting rifles for about roughly the same time those two guys have been in the world!

BT and I both shot five rounds at the same size target at the same distance and our targets were so bad in comparison to the one above that I didn't even both to take pictures of them. Oh well, sometimes you get the bear and sometimes the bear gets you. And in this case, it was a Rooshian bear! :mrgreen:

3. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

.30-06 = 7.62x54R ? Wow, you learn something every day on this forum. At least I do! :D

4. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

ballistically speaking.

the 7.62-54r is a really interesting round. the longest serving military cartridge in the world, it is a .308 equivalent in many ways. case length, recoil impulse, bullet weights, inherent accuracy.

but it's ballistics in terms of muzzle velocity and energy are much closer to the 30-06, without all the shoulder destroying recoil. and the russians figured it out a decade before the western world.

shoots like a .308, hits like a 30-06, and costs less than 9mm per round (widely available surplus).

with the availability of scope mounts that attach to the rear sight, and more makers of long eye relief scopes... a good used mosin-nagant m44 can be a poor man's scout rifle for a few hundred bucks.

too bad about the safety.

5. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

outshot with my own rifle!!!!
    -----------------------------------------
    Hate when that happens (and it happens too often)

6. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

Were you guys shotgun patterning :lol:

My g/f can outshoot that Rooshin rifle with an ar and surplus ammo with her eyes shut and pulling the trigger with her feet :lol:
    Thats at 50 yards??? It looks like its about 8 MOA :shock:

7. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

my "excuse"...

is that i've never fired that rifle at a black bullseye. with the black rear sight and the black post, lining those up onto a black target was giving me grief.

i normally use the redfield orange diamond targets.

my group was tighter than that, but about 4 inches too high.

back when i practiced... which means back in the good old days, that rifle would shoot 3" at 100 yards.

8. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

"my 'excuse...

is that i've never fired that rifle at a black bullseye. with the black rear sight and the black post, lining those up onto a black target was giving me grief
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks BT, I'll have to remember that one . :)

9. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

:wink:

Just giving ya crap, mostly because its an infidel rifle!!

10. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Infidels, indeed, but allies back in WWII, as in the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

The Rooshian is the first military bolt action I ever shot and I sure hope the U.S. Springfields were/are a lot easier to shoot than the Mosin-Nagant. Just cycling the bolt was a big deal to me, but of course, I was firing it from the "wrong" side, so that further complicated matters for me. But how in the world soldiers went to war and actually won battles with those Mosin-Nagants sure raises my respect level for the "Red" army. Well, at least they helped win WWII vs. the Germans. If I remember my WWI history accurately, the got their behinds waxed by the Germans in that one and basically quit and went home when the Commies killed the Czar and took power.

I suppose you would definitely get a bit quicker at working that bolt if somebody was shooting at you, but in my case, I'd probably be graveyard dead after the first shot. How the Rooshians fought with that rifle, or for that matter our guys with their bolt-action Springfields in WWI and WWII until the M-1 was introduced mid-war, raises my respect level a lot for both armies. And or course, the Huns used bolt-action Mausers in both wars.

But I think I'd like to try a Springfield or a Mauser before I plunk my money down for a Rooshian. Any of my fellow Steyroids have experience with Springfields or Mausers?

11. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

You really didnt want to be a Rooshin soldier. About 1 in 4 got a rifle, and they just sent hordes of people across the fields at the germans. If you tried to come back, the officers would shoot you. so when the MG42's needed a barrel change after killing 500 russians, the next 500 would overtake them :roll:

12. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Mausers are pretty plentiful and the Springfields are rarer until 2009 when the CMP releases some of their supply. The weekend boys all bring out there military rifles and hang out and talk guns every sat here at the range. Everything form Rooshie to M1 Garands.....Most everybody likes the Springfield and you can get Mausers in good shape but I'd go with the Swiss rifle. They are inexpensive and well built. And since the Swiss didn't go to war the barrels on most are pristine.......pleasant recoil for a 7.5 Swiss round. Ammo isn't as cheap, but they can be reloaded too. They have their own website, share tools that you might want to modify your Swiss...Just got my rebuild M1Garand from CMP......very cool.......