Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NRA-ILA has announced a new weekly report, the Outrage of the Week.

Here's the lead-off report of this new feature:

Outrage Of The Week!

Friday, November 02, 2007

We're pleased to announce a new feature in the Friday Grassroots Alert -- the "Outrage of the Week!" Each week (or as often as we can), we will report on a true outrage that affects the pro-Second Amendment community. In order for this section to succeed, however, we need your help! While NRA-ILA staff will keep its eyes and ears open for outlandish statements and activities on which to report, we want you to do the same. If you see something that you feel would be a good candidate for the "Outrage of the Week!" section, please send it to: [email protected].

Kim Peters, 17, practices at the Ben Avery Shooting Facility. The Willow Canyon High School senior is a skeet shooter.

17-Year-Old Future Olympian Disciplined For Shotgun Shells In Vehicle:
In yet another case of over reactive, one-size-fits-all, "zero-tolerance" enforcement, Arizona high school senior and shotgun-shooting Olympic hopeful Kim Peters was recently charged by local school officials with "possession of a dangerous instrument" and subsequently suspended, an October 29 azcentral.com article reports.

What was the "dangerous instrument" that Kim was in "possession" of, and why did school officials feel the need to suspend her? Well, apparently a security guard writing parking tickets noticed two unopened boxes of shotgun shells on the back seat of Peters' SUV as it sat in a school visitors parking lot. Hence, the "dangerous instrument(s)" in this case were the unopened boxes of shells the student-athlete used in practice for her sport, and the "possession" was because the unopened boxes were sitting on the back seat of Kim's parked, and presumably locked, vehicle.

After discovering the shells, the student and her vehicle were "thoroughly searched" by school officials. No firearms of any sort were found, nor were firearms involved in the incident in any way.

The 17-year-old Peters -- one of only 18 athletes in the nation to attend this year's Junior Olympic shooting camp in Colorado Springs, CO -- practices 12 hours a week and has won many trophies. Peters said that her hectic practice schedule and the fact that she was running late on the morning in question were to blame for her forgetting to remove the shells from her vehicle.

The family is fighting the local school district over the excessive punishment, fearing that if the charge is not expunged, colleges will refuse her admittance. So far, school administrators are not budging in their decision and have rejected the family's first appeal.
So, in their zeal to enforce "zero-tolerance" rules, these high school administrators have thrown common sense out of the window. This accomplished, Olympic-class shooter, who practices multiple hours per week, now faces an uncertain future due to the rigid, overzealous enforcement of a general rule, by administrators who refuse to reasonably consider common sense and extenuating circumstances. That's outrageous.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Outrageous!!!

·
Premium Member
5,073 Posts
Come on guys! That's dangerous stuff! This was OBVIOUSLY a disaster waiting to happen!!! :shock:

Don't you know?! - That could have gotten in the wrong hands and someone might have "thrown it on the ground or just hit it the wrong way" and god only knows what could have happened!

( :roll: :roll: :roll: )

The school officials should be ashamed.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I go with my Steyr S to study, to work, to the shopping, to cinema..

I`M A DANGEROUS THING !!!

I have 9mm ammunition in my car, in my laptop bag, in my wife car ..

WE ARE A CRAZY FAMILY !! jejeje

·
Registered
106 Posts
i agree it's a stupid rule and there was no one at risk., but thats what zero tolerance means. 0. None, zip, zilch.

Change the rule. otherwise it must be inforced or it would be .035% tolerance

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Latest outrage of the week

The death of Washington Redskins' player Sean Taylor has prompted another call for banning guns by the Brady Center. Guess they didn't read the part about Taylor being armed with a machete and the perp had a gun?

It ain't funny that Taylor took a knife to a gun fight. If he had been properly armed, he might be still alive.

Brady’s Shamelessness—Will They Ever Learn? This week’s outrage comes, not surprisingly, from the Brady Center. You may recall back in May, we reported on the Brady Center prescribing its remedies for the horrific Virginia Tech slayings well before any of the facts were known. Not content to stop there, they even sent out an extremely distasteful fundraising solicitation seeking contributions in the amount of $32—one dollar for each of the Virginia Tech slayings.

You’d think the Brady Center would have learned its lesson after being pilloried for this stunt by Virginia Governor Tim Kaine (among others), who said, “People who want to take this (the Tech shootings) within 24 hours of the event and make it, you know, their political hobby horse to ride, I've got nothing but loathing for them. To those who want to, you know, try to make this into some little crusade, you know, I say take that elsewhere. Let this community deal with grieving individuals and be sensitive to those needs.”

Once again, though, the Brady Bunch has proven it has no learning curve.

Unable to refrain from commentary in the wake of the murder of Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor, in a November 28 press release Brady President Paul Helmke once again looked into his crystal ball and prescribed the public policy solutions he promises would prevent similar, future shootings: “…Brady criminal background checks on all gun sales (emphasis added). We should ban military style assault weapons. And we should give our law enforcement agencies the power to stop trafficking in illegal guns.”

Despite acknowledging at the outset of his remarks that “there are still many unanswered questions about the circumstances,” soothsayer Helmke apparently already knows how to prevent future criminal attacks, even though law enforcement is engaged in a high-profile, ongoing investigation to determine the facts of the case.

If past is prologue, one can only expect a forthcoming plea for money from the Brady Campaign. This time, no doubt, for $21—Sean Taylor’s jersey number. For the sake of decency, let’s hope we’re wrong.

If you see something that you feel would be a good candidate for the “Outrage of the Week!” section, please send it to: [email protected]. Please be sure to send additional background and citations where available.

·
Registered
278 Posts
School boards have adopted sweeping "zero tolerance" to take the easy way out.

Because the rules don't require a decision, the board can't be held liable and no one can be fired.
Job security is what is really at the heart of these regulations.

·
Registered
925 Posts
The Brady Campaign is full of people who have been proven wrong again and again. Their view of the Second Amendment has been proven wrong by the majority of law review articles and well known even "liberal" legal scholars. Their views of crime in relation to firearm ownership has been proven wrong again and again by the raw statistics.

Either they are idiots or more likely they are people out to keep their comfortable jobs and salary.

I disagree strongly with them, but at least when they started you could say "they want less crime," which is something we all can agree on, but now they have been proven so wrong for so long in their approach you'd think they would come to grips with the real world. Meanwhile, their efforts serve as one more destraction from the real issues that cause crime and could be solved. Sad really.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
CRAZY........!!!!! we are getting soooooo screwed up...... :wall:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts