OR State IDPA results with M40A1

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by ThaiBoxer, Sep 8, 2008.

1. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

I took second in the SSP Expert class, losing by a wide margin to the 1st place SSP Expert guy, who took 2nd overall in the match and is an M-class Open shooter. Scott Springer won the match and shot ESP Master, probably with an XD-M. I placed 11th of 48 overall. I earned 3 procedurals for mental errors, and one more that was a BS procedural (in my opinion), but I signed the sheet before they awarded it, and so it didn't stick to my score.

Hey BigTaco, that means I encountered the "BS procedural pnealty" in IDPA, and it kind of chapped my heinie! I also made some mistakes from "playing IPSC style", by reloading while moving into "unknown" areas in a house clearing. Basically, I reloaded from slide lock while stepping forward, but the SO did explicitly tell me not to do that before the stage. I also double tapped the first target in a "one shot per" limited count stage, nice figure-8 holes but still an oops!

I shot my M40A1 with a Dawson fiber optic front sight and PT rear sight. I used 170 gr LSWC bullets on 3.5 gr of Solo1000 powder, and it "match chrono'd" at a PF of 132. That was about 5 PF points lower than my results on my CED chrono. This load is a minor PF .40, and shoots softer than most 9mm. Accuracy is pretty good from my M40A1.

My gun function was flawless. I had case gauged 250 rounds before the match, and culled out about 30 rounds that did not chamber in the very tight case gauge chamber. After the match I loaded up mags with these culled rounds and shot them machingegun style from the M40A1. Every dern one chambered and fired without a problem! Makes you both happy and irritated, at the same time!

Go Steyr!

2. Soverign

Soverign Premium Member

3. JaegerWulf

JaegerWulf Premium Member

Awesome! Keep us informed! If you ever get any videos of you shooting, let us know.

4. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya Ben :)

Congrat's and good shootin', Bro.

Wulf

5. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

nice!

i'd love to think that the steyr was the reason, but i suspect you practice very diligently in addition to a certain amount of natural talent, leaving nothing to chance.

it must be nice to see it all come together at states. i'm glad you shot well.

6. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

I have a long way to go if I am to start winning matches. Transition time, faster reloads, and overall better execution are my current targets for improvements.

The Steyr is a pretty good Production/SSP gun. Yesterday I was able to shoot the new .40 upper I bought from this board on top of my M9A1 lower, and really enjoyed the factory tri traps.

7. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

I'm watching your progress wistfully, as there isn't a group close to where I live doing IDPA or even IPSC. Well, that's not quite true, there's one group, but they get together at 6:30 PM and they're about 30 miles from here. 30 miles on the freeway in Houston during rush hour is 2 hours for me to get to them. Somehow I don't think I'll get excused from work to go shooting.

We've got an indoor range about 3 miles from where I live, they do some tactical training, but it's far from IDPA. I'll have to settle for that for the time being. I shoot Georgia-Arms 165 gr FMJ there. It seems to work for me. At 24 cents per shot, it's almost a cheap as reloading them myself. Damn, and I opened my big mouth and told my wife that. There goes any chance of getting another reloading set.

It's great hearing your progress, and go get 'em!

8. jamesdmanley

jamesdmanley New Member

reloading is cheaper when you reuse brass

9. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Nice going.
    Its hard to transition between the different types of shooting associations when you are against the clock and running on reflex.