Only gun I ENJOY shooting

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by SELFDEFENSE, May 26, 2007.

1. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Took my Colt 1847 Walker (World's first .44 magnum. Most powerful handgun in the West and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, Amigo?) out yesterday for the first time in a couple of years. It is a blast to shoot when you disappear in the smoke cloud, after the softest slow-push recoil you've ever felt, and you see that at 25 yards you are in the x-ring. :lol:
    All my other guns I shoot for selfdefense purposes (go figure), but this gun is actually fun to shoot and at least as accurate as any of my other handguns. Only problem, reloads take forever.

2. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Was at the range a while back and guy comes up with three blackpowder pistols, two .44s and a .36. He let me shoot one of his .44s and you're quite right, it was a blast. Put all six rounds in the black, two in the X-ring. First round was barely in edge of the black, I was just pointing, put my finger on the trigger to take up slack and Boom!

Must have been about a 1 lb. trigger or less? As you described, very gentle slow push for recoil.

Later while he was slowly reloading and I was still shooting my M357-A1, he got ready to shoot again so I paused.

Boom!-Boom!-Boom! all at once. He got a little careless with sealing the ends of his chambers and three chambers went off at once! He survived and so did the pistol, but if all six had gone, he might have gone with them and me, too, if his six-gun turned into shrapnel.

I think I'll stick to smokeless powder guns.

3. SELFDEFENSE

A chain-fire is the bane of blackpowder shooters. Have to make sure the end caps are on correctly. With a big gun like the Walker if you have 55 grs. of powder in each chamber and you get a chain-fire, it is serious business. With 60 grs. of powder you can get a 200 gr. conical lead bullet going 1200 fps out of a Walker. That is serious ballistics.

4. West01

West01 New Member

My favorite is the Navy Colt 1851 .36 Cal..... "Wild Bill" Hickok gun :twisted:

I have an Uberti reproduction and it is more fun than a barrel of monkey. You have to pay attention and be very careful but no smokeless can give you that much thrill. The soldiers that fought the civil war had more guts that we can ever imagine.....to fight with weapon like these. :twisted:

Cheers!

West01

:D

5. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

Thats what people in the future who use energy beam weapons will say about our time!

6. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

I have an 1851 Navy in .44, was my first pistol. Paid $35 for it at a gun show, and replaced a $2 spring.

I have been watching too many pirate movies, reading pirate books, and making up pirate stories with my 4 y.o boy. Went into a shop 2 weeks ago and walked out with one of these .50 caliber toys:

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eshop ... Code=P1100

[​IMG]

7. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

I had a friend who right out of college taught at a nature camp in Michigan. In addition to biology she taught kids about the local history, including a demonstration firing of a musket pistol, sans lead ball. One day while teaching a class out in the trees, she became distracted or just ditzed out while tamping and forgot to remove the ram rod from the pistol before she fired it. She fired the gun and shot her ram rod into the forest. I can't remember if she found it but she immediately saw the humor in the situation.

8. some_finn

some_finn Guest

Ever so slight muzzle flash from my 1860 Army replica :)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Here's a video I made shooting BP ammo in my Uberti S&W Russian replica :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. West01

West01 New Member

Whoa!

What a beauty!

Excellent post Some_Finn!

Cheers!

West01

:D

10. SELFDEFENSE

Finn:

Slick looking Russian. Just love a blackpowder cloud. :D

11. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

some guy at the range let me shoot his .50 caliber something or other black powder pistol. he described the recoil as "a firm push". BULLCRAP!!!

that thing hit like a sledgehammer. but it was quite accurate.

i can't imagine what a 1860 battle field looked like after a day of constant black powder firing. could they even see each other?

12. SELFDEFENSE

The way they charged shoulder-to-shoulder you didn't need to see them. Just fire into the moving cloud.

13. czgunner

czgunner New Member

I LOVE those break tops.
    I've been looking at those for a long time!