Steyr Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just came back from the shooting range with my M40-A1. I was not able to get through one magazine with out a "Fail" issue.

The first type of ammo used was jacketed hollow points, which when being fed into the chamber, got hung up on the barrel feed ramp and jammed. So technically, the previous spent round properly ejected, but the JHP jammed during the feed. The gun was meticulously cleaned before going to the range. Last year, SIA sent me a new extractor which has been installed.

The next 2 types of ammo would Fail to Eject. So the spent casing did not clear the chamber, and prevented the next round from loading. ( See image attached)

The magazines are original and have the words stamped on them:
"Restricted Law Enforcement."
"Gov't Use and / or Export Only. 9/14/94"
"GSI Trussville,AL"

The first was an unknown brand, copper jacketed hollow point.
The second ammo that jammed was American Eagle 155 gr, copper jacketed semi-wadcutter
The third that jammed was Winchester 180 gr Winchester FMJ although I had fewer FTE with this.

We had 2 different people shoot the pistol today. My 15 year old son, and yours truly, 55 years old.

This has been an ongoing problem since I bought the gun several years ago.

Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have not been at this a long time, but the back of each shell casing looks pretty beat up to me. Is the .40 cal this "abusive"? Look especially at the ones that look like there is a line from the center of the casing to the outer rim. As if the extractor slams into the back of it leaving a dented line, and the chipping / rounding of the outer case.

Your thoughts?

Wood Circle Gun accessory Cylinder Metal Automotive tire Wood Circle Plant Auto part Wood Circle Close-up Gun accessory Metal Wood Circle Font Metal Gun accessory Wood Currency Coin Button Jewellery Hand Guitar accessory Musical instrument accessory Bumper Finger

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,073 Posts
The first thing I would do is change magazines - weak Steyr springs have been the source of a lot of personal grief in my experience. Their springs suck and they have changed configurations many times over the years, seemingly arbitrarily. If you search the forum, you should be able to find compatible Wolff springs (I *think* S&W M&P springs might work, but you'll want to check that) - that would be a cheap enough thing to replace/test. You might also buy (1) new magazine from Steyr Arms' website - when it arrives, compare the length/# of coils to your existing spring(s). You might be shocked at the difference, and if your old springs are obviously permanently-compressed, you could send pictures to Steyr Arms and likely get free replacement springs.

We also ran into issues where Steyr was shipping 9mm mags with .40S&W followers and some folks blamed that for issues, but since we're talking about a M40, I doubt that's an issue. I would contact Steyr and have them send you a "new" extractor/plunger/spring for good measure, too - that ought to cost nothing and would address the other big "known flaw" with these pistols.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your reply. I will surely follow your suggestions. I really want to make this pistol one I can rely on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Syntax360.

My new .40 cal magazine arrived from SIA. I took it apart and compared it with the mag springs of the originals and was quite surprised by what I found. The opposite of what I expected! See the comparison photos. The mag spring on the left is the new one that just arrived the other day and has never been used. The 2 on the right are the originals.

I did notice that when I was manually feeding ammo out of the magazine using with my thumb, the brass case hung up on the magazine case. I took one of the old mags I don' care about, and using a bench grinder, removed a few thousands of an inch, creating a small concave relief in the center of the magazine chamber. Maybe that will help!

Font Art Wood Electric blue Handwriting Wood Font Audio equipment Electronic instrument Rectangle

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have not been at this a long time, but the back of each shell casing looks pretty beat up to me. Is the .40 cal this "abusive"? Look especially at the ones that look like there is a line from the center of the casing to the outer rim. As if the extractor slams into the back of it leaving a dented line, and the chipping / rounding of the outer case.

Your thoughts?

View attachment 2715 View attachment 2716 View attachment 2717 View attachment 2718 View attachment 2719 View attachment 2720

Those lines from the primer to the inside edge of the case are from the firing pin dragging on the primer - common with striker fired pistols.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts