Ok, I'm getting a Steyr M9-A1, but which .22?

Discussion in 'Anything Else' started by smores, Oct 12, 2006.

Which .22LR pistol should I get?

1. Walther P22

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. SIG Mosquito

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. smores

smores Guest

I have been looking at the Walther P22 and SIG Mosquito

***Walther P22***

Pros:
    -cheaper ($320 at my shop)
    -proven to be reliable (newer version with good ammo)
    -will fit my girlfriend's hands better
    -magazines are about $20

Cons:
    -small (not TOO small, but it is tiny, which isn't always 100% bad, with concealment in mind)
    -accessory rail is not standard

**SIG Mosquito***

Pros:
    -larger frame (90% of P226, which is a good sized gun)
    -has nicer looks, IMO
    -accessory rail is standard Picatinny size

Cons:
    -expensive - about $100 more than the P22
    -yellow dot sights (I'm used to white)
    -mags are between $30-40
    -I hear it has similar feeding problems the P22 had when it first came out.

If anyone has some experience with either or both pistols, please leave comments (good and bad)!

2. Deluxe247

Deluxe247 Supporting Member

3. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

is one of the answers going to be........"its for my wife, or i'm trying to get my wife involved??? that should answer a few questions....the Walter would be a better pick if her hands are small. I'm not sure concealability is an issue, its not a carry gun....cheaper is good. I always think trigger is important, but I haven't shot either of these........I'm leaning Walter...

4. Lurker

Lurker Guest

I haven't shot the Sig but I'm really fond of my P22. Very handy size, really easy to customize, ie barrels, sights, grip back strap. It has an internal key lock, and magazine diconnect which I'm not crazy about. Trigger pull in DA is good and crisp, probably about 5lbs or so, in SA it's about 2 or 3lbs. Trigger reset is real short so when you aren't shooting it for accuracy and just nailing cans it feels almost full auto. Depending on what you want to do with it I suggest you buy the 5 inch barrel model with the stabilizer, reason being that although finding barrels to change out(really easy) is common I have yet to see the stabilizer available seperately form the gun. Plus threaded barrels for a suppressor are easy to come by...just a thought.
    Bad points are in my hand the magazine without the finger rest is just a little to short. For a while when I first got it it would occasionally kick a shell casing back into my face(happened maybe five times within the first 200 rds). Previously mentioned magazine disconnect. It is a little difficult to reassemble until you get the hang of it, the barrel is fixed to the grip frame so you have to lift up on the slide to clear the barrel as you slide it forward. But the real difficult part is when you put it back on, you have to pull the guide rod all the way through the guide rod hole on the slide compressing the spring then hang on to it while you try to put the slide back on the gun. It's a little difficult until you get the hang of it.
    Accuracy is quite good, I'm sure the gun can shoot circles around me anyday. At 7 yards I'm getting consistent groups of 3 inches unsupported, but I think the pistol can do much better than that.

Hope this helps and hope you enjoy either one you get.

5. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Didn't Sig discontinue the Mosquito because all the warranty returns and reliability problems? You will find a new thread every week on Sigforum with someone complaining about how how unreliable their Mosquito is and how Sig customer service has been dissatisfactory.

In any other case, I'd snatch up any Sig over any Walther, but I'm going to have to say this is the exception.

I'd get a Ruger Mk before I got either, for what it's worth.

6. Deluxe247

Deluxe247 Supporting Member

+1

This is the better choice for a .22 handgun that will last forever w/o many problems.

-D

7. Flashpoint

Flashpoint New Member

Between the two I'd get the Walther. They seem small they shoot alright. The one I shot had a FTE while I was shooting it, but the laser the guy had mounted was fun.

What I bought was a Smith and Wesson 22a with a 5" barrel. The only prep that I've done was a few squirts of CLP. I've run about 1200 rounds through it with a problem. If you wanted to shell out a few more clams take a look at the Browning Buckmarks. They're what I was originaly looking at but found the S&W to be about $100 than the Buckmark I was looking at.

8. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

You need to define the purpose for getting this gun.

9. smores

smores Guest

I want a plinker, something I can shoot all day with, as well as a beginner gun for my girlfriend and maybe younger brother.

I'm not too crazy about the Ruger .22 pistols, for whatever reason I dislike them. The main concern is getting something relatively inexpensive and reliable.

10. Flashpoint

Flashpoint New Member

That's exactly why I picked up the Smith and Wesson. The second time I took it out a man and his 10-year-old daughter where at the range. She was shooting a 22 rifle that was her great grandfathers, I asked the dad if she would like to try my 22 and she did. I loaded up a couple of mags and handed them to them, when he brought me my gun back he told she was asking him to buy one for her. The next time I went to the range I took a friend that I had known since she was 12 (know 21). After she got used to holding and manipulating the S&W I let her run with it and I started shooting my Steyrs. She did real well and wants me to take back out again. I've also let my sons ( 5 and 8 ) shot it, but it amounted to me holding the bulk of the gun while they shot it. The five-year-old's hands weren’t quit big enough for the grip but his big brother didn't have any problems.

Also it's about the cheapest .22 I could find that wasn't a Loricen. Some people have complaints about them, but I think they have gotten a hold of some of the earlier models. Mine been 100%, though I would say that after running 1200 rounds through it without cleaning I'm pushing my luck.

11. FlaChef

FlaChef Guest

If yu don't want to spend big bucks on a bullseye .22 and you don't want a Ruger then look at the Berretta NEOS line as well as the mentioned S&W and P22. I would do a little diggging over at sig forums to find out the status and if any improvemnts have been made to the skeeter (early P22's had the same list of problems). For me the deciding factor was how much more solid the Skeeter felt.

Now I won't go back and love my Ruger (partly because I won it I admit), I also love the pocket J frame that skeeter got turned into, so all is good.

12. ScottW

ScottW Guest

For general plinking it's tough to go wrong with the tried & true models, Browning Buckmark, Ruger Mk, etc. I know you don't want a Ruger, but I'll just say anyway that my plinker is a Ruger Mk II Gov Target Comp and I love it. Dad still hasn't given me his S&W Model 41 LOL. I like a little longer barrel for the longer sight radius. In addition to the models already listed by others, you might also check out the Sig/Hammerli Trailside. I think CDNN may still have them and the prices were decent last I checked.

13. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Speaaking of Beretta NEO's, i like the ease of disasembly and cleaning. Otherwise I like your first choice, Walter.....

14. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

If you want a plinker that your girlfriend can get into shooting with, do what I did. Take her to the gunshop, and let her pick it out. My girlfriend has long moved to the M40 and .223 (hell, she even shoots the .308), but she still loves to shoot that stupid little Marlin .22 because it is her gun. Make sure it fits her, and teach her how to use it. Shooting is so addictive, all you need to do at that point is add bullets.
    Good luck.

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Sig Skeeters are problem prone, although newer ones are much improved according to owners at SigForum.

Walther? I love my P99, it's my favorite 9mm, but the P22 feels like a toy, and a cheap POS to me.

You should stick with a Browning Buck Mark or S&W 22A. The Browning is probably better quality, but costs more. The S&W grip is a bit chunky but if you like it then it's worth a look and you get excellent customer service from S&W with free 2-way shipping.

Rugers are super also, just very tricky to strip and reassemble.

A friend's Beretta NEOS has been perfect for the first 1000 rounds or so, I just don't care for the smallish grip and unorthodox styling very much.