oh great... 357

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by bigtaco, Jul 14, 2007.

1. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

i never saw the big deal in 357SIG THEN... i shot one.

i thought it was a hot 9mm. i didn't realize it was a HOT 9mm.

thing has serious velocity!!!! and keeps it WAAAAAAAAAY downrange. i was watching it spit dirt all over the place at 75-80 yards, indicating it still had lots of energy left over down there.

a 357 barrel for the s40 may be in order. i took the real-life experience, but consider me a 357SIG fan.

all i have to do now is sell everything i own and cut out all non-essentials (food, beer, running water, you know... the luxuries) and start saving for my first box of ammo. :roll:

2. Dag

Dag Guest

357SIG

Hi bigtaco

Yeah, the 357SIG does get your attention. I shot a friends SIG Equinox, with an aftermarket 357SIG barrel, and that baby POPS! In earlier times, I was a wheelgun guy, and had a 6" 357MAG Dan Wesson, when the barrels could be unscrewed and swapped for a different length. Filled with 125 gr JHPs, it was a powerhouse. Then I saw the cover photo on Massad Ayoob's book StressFire (see below), and I reconsidered. The photo shows Ayoob shooting a .357Mag revolver, 125 gr Federal JHP, and the muzzle flash is the only light source! :shock: I'm shooting .40S&W right now, which is still a great round, especially with modern hollow points. With it's smaller capacity case and using faster powders, the 357SIG seems to have most of the terminal performance, without the drawbacks of the magnum revolver. I gotta tell ya that I really enjoyed shooting the 357SIG, and the 357MAG for that matter. Enjoy your new addiction. :twisted:

Dag

[​IMG]

3. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

Hey BT, if you go through ammo at a decent rate, might just want to setup for reloading! I have to do that for my target rifle because my ammo is a buck per round :( The reloader starts saving me money at about round 500. lol

4. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Oh, great - Wulf finally convinced you to join the dark side... :p 8)

5. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

Dag, current .357 Magnum no longer creates those 6 ft long fire balls. Manufacturers have really worked to get the flash down. I may be wrong, but I think there has been a differance even in the last ten years, which is when I first started shooting with my first gun, a used S&W 66 and the last time I fired .357 out of it earlier this year.

I just bought an Advantage Arms .22 conversion kit for my G23. WWB .40 S&W now cost $25/box of 100 at Wally World. I was shooting about 150 rds a week but I stopped cold turkey. I just can afford to shoot at that price. I also just bought 1000 rds of PMC from Sportsman's Guide since the price hasn't gone up yet. I won't be able to put it through my Steyr, but my Glock should have no problem. My dealer says the all manufacturers are raising their prices again in September by about 18%. :x

6. Ammo08

Ammo08 New Member

I heard a Tennessee cop say that the 357 SIG blinds the perp before it hits him... :D

I carry either my Steyr M9 or a Ruger GP-100 3 inch 357. I feel safe with either, but in the woods it's a 357.

7. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

9mm major can give 357sig a run for its money. 357sig can edge out 9mm but your going to pay for it.

ammo prices and reloading supplies are going to increase 5-15% August-September

8. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

It wasn't Wulf, it was me. Stay tuned for a range report on the World's First S357!

BT took the barrel out of my M357-A1 and put it in his S40 and viola! The World's First S357!

That adventure will be included along with a full range report of my visit to Pittsburgh for a range trip with BT. Later.

9. Dag

Dag Guest

.357MAG and ammo cost

Hi posterboy7

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the ammo companies have been able to do away with that HUGE muzzle flash. Although, when I was shooting the Dan Wesson, I always liked to end my range session with several MAX jacket rounds, you know, something using large doses of 2400. Lots of FLASH and BANG! :twisted:

If the cost of shooting is getting you down, you might want to consider reloading. Right now, I can reload 40S&W 180 gr cast bullets for ~10.5 cents a round, roughly $5.25 for a box of 50. :) I use an old single stage RCBS Rock Chucker press, and it takes me about 30 minutes to do 50 rounds. If you're interested, take a look over on the Ammunition and Reloading Forum. Sorry, gettin' off topic.

Dag

10. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

Actually my dealer has another floor above his shop that he is going to turn into usable, non-store space. I suggested going in together on reloading equipment and he liked the idea, suggesting we put the set-up up stairs since his wife and my wife both forbid reloading at home. Lucky for me, his shop is only two blocks away! He shoots 9mm and .223 mostly and I shoot .40. If all goes well I might get a .357 Sig conversion barrel for my M40-A1 and reload 357 Sig too. :twisted:

Until then, I am going to be running a lot of .22 LR through my Glock.

11. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

bout time you got aboard the 357sig train........ :lol: BTW Big Taco, if you get the WWB 357sig, its gonna pop a lot more then a good self defense round will..........the HP's are actually softer recoiling.........

12. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

It wasn't Wulf or Netfotoj, it was Me! 8)

Nothing puts a smile on Your face Like pitting the bullseye w/ some HOT 357sig rounds! The 357sig Brotherhood grows. :lol:
    _______
    mugdava

13. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

i've noticed that about wwb in general. it is hot snappy stuff across the board.

14. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya BT :)

I been workin' on a few heavier bullet reload recipes for the 357 SIG usin' 38 cal 135, 140 and 158 gr JHP's resized to 0.356". For the 135 and 140 gr'ers, I even gotta a couple o loads that don't require the resizin' part, but ya gotta adjust the powder for the slightly oversized bullet diameter when using 357 SIG published reloading tables. <shrug> The 158 gr JHP's are on the "best to resize 'em first" list, tho...for safety and performance reasons. I never really appreciated the 147 gr 9MM component bullets for the 357 SIG because of setback issues I've encountered reloading them. <shrug> IMHO, the 357 SIG would have had a more appropriate bullet selection if it had been engineered to use 38 caliber bullets rather than 9MM. Anyway, after I have the loads refined, I'll make 'em available via PM or at the #Steyrclub chat room for those who are interested. I'll keep ya in the loop, Bro. Take care. :)

Wulf <-- headed back to 'is overcrowded reloadin' area

[​IMG]

15. Rockbuster

Rockbuster Guest

I am a new S9 owner (as of last week). I picked it up for $300. I got hooked on Steyrs bad because I just ordered a MA1-40 from CDNN - too many good deals out there. Anyone know where I can get a .357 barrel for my new MA1-40? KKM? BarSto?

Thanks.

Rockbuster

16. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

IBG is who you need to contact about the barrel. Their US importer is MDW Guns, I believe...

17. Dag

Dag Guest

Welcome

Hi Rockbuster

Welcome to Steyr Club. Sorry, MDW Guns no longer carried IGB :( (see below).

Bar-Sto doesan't show an offering for Steyr, but maybe they'd do a custom for you. Don't know. :?: Good luck with your search.

Dag

[​IMG]

18. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Contact IGB direct then - I know a few forum members have been ordering products from them - at this point I assume they just went direct. Whatever the case, please let us know. :)

19. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

If I recall correctly, shooter got one but I don't remember from whom. PM shooter and ask him.

20. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hi Guys :)

You can order direct from IGB Austria. Email Carmen Schranz at [email protected] . That'll get ya current price and shipping to your area code.

Wulf