Odd Primer Strike...

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by jologs, Feb 7, 2008.

1. jologs

jologs New Member

Hi,

I'm a newbie and I have an M40-A1 for my first gun.

I noticed that the primer strikes of my M40-A1 seem to drag in one direction (probably upwards). Is this normal?

I've fired around 200 rounds with only 2 FTFs early on.

Here's a pic:

[​IMG]

2. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

It's normal enough that it's been given a name here, primer smears. Doesn't hurt anything so keep on shooting. Theory is the loaded-chamber indicator, LCI, is causing it. Don't matter.

Just enjoy. :mrgreen:

3. jologs

jologs New Member

Cool. :D

Seems like there's really nothing to worry about...

Thanks! :beer:

4. Ger42

Ger42 Guest

Just received an email from my "other" employer regarding the "primer smear"....he is the Steyr Distributer for Canada...I have the same mark on my primers from my M9...heres what he told me

Okay its NOT the LCI. The LCI is at 12 o'clock and is flush to the breech when a cartridge is in place and exerts very little pressure.

That is smear caused by the striker being forward when the gun cycles and it stays in the base of the cartridge. The extractor holds it and as it gets pushed out of the chamber the extractor pushes the case across the striker and then the ejector punts it out to complete the operation.

This is common on any striker fired pistol but more pronounced on the Steyr because it uses a round firing pin. The Glock uses a elongated firing pin and the smear is not so noticeable.

Phil

Again...still nothing to worry about....just wanted to clarify what the mark is

Ger

5. keroppl

keroppl New Member

My mom's M&P does the same thing, so yeah its common.