Odd holster mod

Discussion in 'Holsters' started by ryoko, Jul 17, 2007.

1. ryoko

ryoko Guest

Ok, sometimes when you can't exactly think of something yourself, posting to a forum like here will give some great and innovative ideas, so lets try it out.

I have a waistband style holster. I know most of them are pretty bad, but this one is custom made by someone I know and it works great. 2 foam wedges around where the gun is inserted make nice slim lines. There is a rigid material that forms a "box" where the gun is inserted (one piece at the front of the gun, one to the rear. The inner and outer sides are cloth like material). It is the perfect size to allow it to go in and fully cover the trigger. For ccw use it is great, it works great for 10 to 20 draws flawlessly. Unfortunately when constantly drawing say 50 to a hundred times for practice (Yes I do it that much at times) the box shape will colapse, as the outer edge is only fabric and my pants+belt basically crush it.

So I've been thinking on a solution. Metal like a wire will colapse and make things worse. Spring like metal might work but at the risk of finish damage to the gun, and loss of comfort. Plastic might snap. So I'm left with some kind of rubber. So what kind might work best? It needs to be thin to accept the pistol without making too much buldge to hinder ccw. O-rings... possibly automotive? Is there anything 'box shaped' or better U shaped that might work? Ideas would be great.

Now I appologize in advance, but No I do not own a camera to take a pic of the holster. If I had the cash for one I'd buy ammo (Or a new gun). Sorry.

So any thoughts. There are some really creative people so I'm sure I'll get some new ideas.

Thanks all,
    -Ry

2. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

Ummm, Kydex is great for holding form (youre talking about IWB right? My Kydex holster holster that I made reholsers no problem at all. Thats the route I would go.

3. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Ya - kydex is definitely the easy fix for this problem...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Blade-Tech is my personal favorite...

4. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

a little kydex insert would fill the bill. very unlikely it will snap.

5. ryoko

ryoko Guest

Wow, seems like kydex is the thing. Thanks everyone.