Not sure. Firing pin timing perhaps?

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by michaelmew, May 6, 2007.

1. michaelmew

michaelmew Premium Member

I was at the range with my M357-A1 when I noticed something odd. The primers on my spent cartridges have an indentation from the firing pin but they also have a "smear" that continues all the way to the edge of the primer and then knicks the rim of the case. I have not noticed any performance problems though.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Is this even a problem I need to be concerned about? I have pictures if someone will tell me how to post them.

Thanks for the help
    michaelmew

2. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

3. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya Michael* :)

Like this?...

[​IMG]

I wouldn't worry about it unless it starts "doubling", that's 2-rounds with a single pull of the trigger kind-of-thing. The dimple at the rim is from the LCI--definitely nothin' to worry 'bout. <shrug> How ya like tha way it shoots, tho? :twisted: If it'll make ya feel better, call up Jeff at SAI ( Phone number 770-888-4201 ) and see what he has to say about it. <shrug> Then post it here. G'luck with it and enjoy the M357-A1.

Wulf

4. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

If it starts to double on you, and that's a problem, I'll buy it from 'ya. 8)

5. michaelmew

michaelmew Premium Member

Thanks Wulf for the image help!

[​IMG]

Glad to know this is common. I'm always amazed at how even though I looked for similar posts and didn't find one, you guys can always link the exact answer I was looking for (I found bigtaco's explanation particularily helpful).

Thanks for the help. I'll keep an eye out for "double" shots.

One last thing, I don't think anyone mentioned whether or not this will be a problem for reloading. Any thoughts about that?

Thanks again for the help
    -michaelmew

PS. Not for sale. I plan on being barried with it! :D :wink:

6. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hi Michael* :)

When ya deprime, check to see that the primer pocket is undamaged. I reload all my ammo, and to date, none of the primer pockets in the brass that had primers showing primer smearing were damaged. After a tumble and a full length resize/deprime, I just reload the brass as if nothing ever happened. <shrug> I'm more concerned about the LCI marks finally chewin' away at the rim to the degree that further use of the brass would result in extraction problems, which I've yet to experience in my M357-A1. As for extraction problems in my M357-A1, "Flawless Victory", comes to mind. <shrug> I've got some brass that I've used 4 and 5 times. The LCI marks are handy to know how many times you've reloaded 'em. I never load hot with them after the 2nd firing so they usually go into a "for 88 gr to 125 gr only" use. The really +P+ stuff is for once fired brass. I have a few tips I could share with you for reloading the 357 SIG cartridge that will prove useful to you...little things to help ya with the "setback issues" mostly. I don't mean to sound condescending or superior, I assure you. I had to learn pretty much from scratch because the online reloading info for this little bottlenecked round was evasive and lacking ,back in the old days. ;) PM me if you'd like to share in the 357 SIG Reloading Experience. There are only a few Club members at SC that appear to appreciate the 357 SIG enough to reload for 'em, so I won't bore 'em with that info. :roll: Be safe and have fun. :)

Wulf

7. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

do they bury people above ground in Dallas?

smear on the primer is one thing not to worry about to much fairly normal in striker fired pistols.
    but if it pierces primers on weak ammo loads or gouges the casehead then you might want to get it looked at.
    pierced primer is usually due to the load in the ammunition which could be producing high pressure or a thin and weak primer cup. even strong primers can be pierced due to high pressure. but long firing pin could do it.

using cci/speer or cci primed ammo wont have as bad as smear on the primer due to cci being strong.
    Federal primers are thin/soft and go off easy also smear badly.

deburing and polishing the firing pin tip may help. shooting more will do the same just take a little while for it to smooth out. its mostly cosmetic.

good eye noticing, ah you reload. might check for burr at edge of the primer pocket. have reloaded many thousands of rounds of 9mm and 40sw from Steyr and only had a handfull with any issues. casemouth dents are bigger problem and usually from being stepped on. though did have some cases that came out with casemouth dents when the gun was new after breakin that went away.