Not feeling real confident

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Boriqua, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Boriqua

Boriqua Guest

I ppicked up a steyr M9-A1 about three weeks ago. Took it home and field stripped it so I could clean off packing goo and reoil and learned that the trigger just wouldnt pull. You could make it pop the firing pin but only with a great deal of effort. It was never fired.

I brought it back to the store and they kindly replaced it. This time I brought it straight to the range and fired about 100- 200 rounds and it was fun. Brought it home and field stripped it and oiled it. Brought it to the range next day and it fired about 1 mag then the trigger locked up again. Had a range officer mess with it and try to fire it and he said "aint you"

Back to the store. They sent it back to steyr along with the first one I got and I spoke with Jeff at Steyr. He said something had gotten into the guns and corroded the firing pins and there was rust inside. He did a bunch of things and sent them back.

2 full weeks back and forth which isnt bad but I was pretty bummed I had owned something for 3 weeks and held it once.

Yesterday I pick it up and go right to the range. Fire 100 rounds but the trigger feels different. Well I guess it was supposed to. I bring it home and after making sure its unloaded I take a look at the trigger. As I am doing so I hold it up to the light with the barrel pointed at the cieling and the safety slides back into the trigger ?!?!?

Thank goodness I didnt wear this gun home .. no holster ... because the safety only worked while the barrel was pointed down and gravity slide the safety out!

I remove the slide and there is a wee tiny spring that looks like it aint seated properly. After messing with it some I get it in to what I think is its little notch and it works. But now the question

When it fires .. it is awesome and you really cant miss unless your blind. But after all this would you trust this gun in a gun fight? Should I ever consider carrying this gun or should I just sell it and its bad mojo and move on to another springfield? I am going to the range again today to see if that wee spring was blown out while firing. If it is then it will be another two weeks or more back and forth to Ga. That tiny spring in the notch doesnt give me the warm and fuzzies as my only safety :(

Alex

2. mikey

mikey Guest

Rusted firing pins?????

Give me a break! (not you, Boriqua, I'm talking about Steyr). I absolutely love the handling qualities of the Steyr “M” series pistols . . . but it’s stuff like this that makes me hesitant to wholeheartedly recommend these pistols to others. It’s ridiculous to have to tell people “they’re great pistols, once you get all the problems sorted out.”

C’mon, Steyr: you’ve been making this piece for upwards of seven years now - you mean you STILL haven’t gotten your act together? :(

3. scoutdawg55

scoutdawg55 Guest

Boriqua, I would be completely confident with your new pistol, that spring coming out of the notch is very,very rare. 4 pistols and 3 rifles later, I beleive in Steyr and think they still have it together.

4. amonkey

amonkey New Member

Confidence

Well,
    I think this is a common issue with Steyr M series.
    I love my M-40. But little things keep it from being 'The' pistol.
    Perfect concepts in an imperfect piece.
    Gunfights are full of unknowns and surprises. The last thing you need is a pistol to go click, instead of bang. Please don't trust your life to a machine that has let you down at the range. Too many things have gone wrong and you have to trust your tools.
    I feel funny about talking someone out of a Steyr, as I have great admiration for such a brave design, but winning a firefight is more important.

5. mikey

mikey Guest

I guess that’s why I’m so upset. If this were a pistol I cared nothing about, I wouldn’t be giving it a moment’s thought. But, this isn’t a piece from some fly-by-night operation: it’s from Steyr-Mannlicher, one of the great, historic names in firearms. And, from an ergonomic viewpoint, the Steyr “M” series pistols (especially the -A1 version) are arguably the best designed ever - from any maker, anywhere in the world.

But, corroded firing pins in a batch of brand-new pistols? And then, with the firing pin now fixed, the trigger safety isn't working right?

The Steyr M-series pistols SHOULD be Glock killers . . . so why are these kinds of QC problems still cropping up?

6. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

well boriqua, in your case you had a couple of duds that steyr fixed. on the third go around, it went bang every time.

the only concern is that the trigger safety popped out of it's little notch.

i, for one, see very little to feel safe about in the trigger safety mechanism in the first place. all it does is keep the trigger from being pulled, unless you pull the trigger safety, which is nearly the entire width of the trigger. can't think of too many situations where the trigger would be unintentionally pulled, but the trigger safety wouldn't be. (same feeling for glocks too)

so, i would say, never carry any gun without a holster that fully covers the trigger gaurd. shoot that bad boy a little more. develop some trust in it. see how it goes.

it seems you had some trouble right off the bat, but everything should fall into place now. keep us posted.

7. scoutdawg55

scoutdawg55 Guest

Boriqua, just for curiosiy's sake I called Jeff at Steyr and in passing asked about the pistol with the corroded firing pin, he said it was NOT a NIB pistol but possibly could have been sold as one. He also said it had a peculiar smell, which tells me it may have been a flood gun that was cleaned up and resold. In my opinion I don't think this is QC issue at all. But we all know what opinions are like. And by the way I DO CC my M40-A1 with complete confidence.

8. madecov

madecov Active Member

Considering all of the metal parts on the Steyr are Tennifer treated It would have to be something really major to get it to rust.

I'm not saying it can't happen ( as in a flooded gun) but you almost have to work at it to get a Tennifered gun to rust.

Internal moving parts very rarely if ever rust

9. scoutdawg55

scoutdawg55 Guest

Madecov, as in a Glock the firing pin is not teniferd I dont't beleive. Not sure.

10. scoutdawg55

scoutdawg55 Guest

Also it wasn't just water that could have gotten in the gun. There were alot of other chemicals in those flooded areas.

11. madecov

madecov Active Member

I've carried 1911's, My Steyr, Glocks as duty pistols.
    In the rain, in and out of the car with high humidity and condensation/I've had some rust issues on a 1911 but never the firing pin, usually the sear spring. Something is up with the gun described.

12. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

i agree with madecov that something was up.

i'm not sure if the firing pin is stainless, but it sure looks it. and good luck getting stainless to rust... unless you leave carbon on it from the machining process. but no factory anywhere would let stainless on the street without removing the traces of carbon left by tools.

something way weird happened to get that firing pin to rust.

13. mikey

mikey Guest

Actually, if I read the first post right, there were (at least) TWO Steyrs discovered with rusted firing pins . . .

But, nonetheless, I’m wondering now if the gun dealer *may* have (intentionally?) sold damaged Steyrs, passing them off as new. Though I was angry with Steyr, if it’s true, then it’s certainly not Steyr’s fault.

I sure would like some kind of investigation, however. I kind of doubt that Boriqua was the only victim here. What, exactly, DID happen to these pistols, and how did they find their way into the marketplace?

14. FlaChef

FlaChef Guest

New Orleans left-overs? :lol:

15. mikey

mikey Guest

A possible explanation . . . but I am still left wondering. If it were flood damage, wouldn’t some of the other non-polymer/non-Tennifer parts (I'm thinking especially of the magazines) have been affected to at least some extent? And wouldn’t the (paper) owner’s manuals have been ruined in a flood as well?

There’s still a lot of unanswered questions here . . .

16. madecov

madecov Active Member

The consumable accessories are easily replaced.
    new box, key manual and magazine

Old flooded gun that had been cleaned.

17. mikey

mikey Guest

Yes, but by whom? It's fine to sell flood-damaged items . . . if there's full disclosure of the situation right up front. However, the fact that the pistol's "consumables" may have been replaced - and then the pistols sold to the buying public as new-in-box - only makes things seem even fishier to me.

If these really are flood damaged guns (and I don't think that's been confirmed yet) then someone (dealer? wholesaler? supplier?) seems to have committed fraud here, and Steyr should be raising hell about this. So, why isn't anyone pressing the issue?

I'd also guess that for every Steyr that got flooded, there must have been 20 Glocks that ended up the same way. Why haven't we heard of anything similar from the Glock fanatics?

Until I get a better explanation of what happened, I'd be really leery of buying a new Steyr without at least stripping it down to firing pin level for inspection. But that's something few "ordinary" buyers would ever think to do, and many gun stores would probably not permit it anyway.

All in all, this isn't exactly going to do anything to enhance Steyr's reputation in the marketplace.

18. Boriqua

Boriqua Guest

Well the gun is back on its way to Steyr again. When I went back to the range the trigger would not reset properly and started locking up again. The flood theory is just what I had come to as well. When I was given the second pistol the magazines were wrapped up in thier protective plastic but there was rust inside the magazines pretty bad. It cleaned out but I was curious about the rust. Doesnt matter now since the gun is on its way back for the second time. The dealer thinks the integral safty on the side is making contact with something. Sigh ... To make myself feel better I bout a .40 Springfield sub Last week. Damn little bugger is fun to shoot and easy to carry and after its first 300+ rounds I can report it had not a single malfunction. Every round fed and every round ejected. Hmmmm My new carry gun. Yea ... and I get to play with it instead of just ship it around.

As stated previously it is a shame. The balance and ergo on the steyr are awesome. I will keep everyone posted on the ongoing saga when I get it back.
    Alex

19. kcevans

kcevans Guest

Good luck with your piece, I had mine for around 6 months, I loved the way the pistol handle and shot, but after a couple FTE and the pistol going full auto twice I said to heck with it and went back to Sig. No matter what you have to have full trust in your equipment, esp if your going to use it for CCW.

20. Wow,

I've seen a lot of posts about extraction issues, but this is the first one I've ever seen about rust or the trigger having that many issues. Weird.