No Steyr rifles in Iraq!

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by AMX, Mar 29, 2007.

1. AMX

AMX New Member

Just on the evening news over here:
    According to the Wiener Zeitung, quoteing one Lt. Cdr. Scott Miller, US Central Command, no Austrian weapons have been found in Iraq.
    There have only been insubstantiated rumors.

Link to original article (German)

Haven't seen any independent confirmation yet, but the accusation didn't have that, either...

2. Zundfolge

Zundfolge Member

So how would you Steyr bashers like your crow? :twisted:

3. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!

HaHaHaHaHa

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

4. tglahn17

tglahn17 Member

5. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Google translation

Here's the Google translation of the German newspaper report. The translation is a bit strange, but it's a heck of lot better than trying to read German, at least for me, who don't know a weiner schnitzel from a hot dog.

Wonder why the London Sunday Telegraph hasn't picked up this story yet? Don't hold your breath. You might get blue in the face before they admit their slanderous, half-cocked, all-bull story was wrong, wrong, wrong.

6. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya *foto* :)

Thanx for stayin' on top of this story. I'd love to see a retraction and an apology for this scandalous and wholey unsupported story by The Telegraph and their scumbag affiliates. IMHO, they are pig sh*t! I did like their story about their editor dickin' Mexican mules in TJ, tho! :p Ay Dios, mio! :shock:

Wulf <-- thinkin', "F**g*t The Telegraph!" :twisted:

7. squirrelpotpie

squirrelpotpie Premium Member

Its not about weapon choice, its about target choice and since Steyr is not encouraging the targeting of Americans in Iraq this whole thing should not be an issue.

Lets not buy into the underlying premise of some sensationalist media, that if a particular weapon manufacturer's weapons are used to kill people it is somehow the manufacturer's fault.

8. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Well said! :D

9. nc_gunner

nc_gunner Guest

+10!!

Wonder what will happen regarding the embargo if the story about the weapons being in Iraq proves to be wholly unsubstantiated. I also wonder what this might do to the administration's claims of Iranian interference in Iraq.

10. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

The German story adds this as the last line:

So that answers the "how long" question I've heard often asked about the embargo of Steyr rifles to the U.S.

All you Aug fans should get your chance Jan. 1, 2008. And you better move quick because 2008 is also an election year and could well decide whether those "evil" assault weapons get banned again.

I for one plan to get me one of those Kel-Tec bullpups before the ban hits the fan. I haven't seen one but it sounds great for lefties like me with the forward shell ejection. And I can't afford an Aug, even if I could legally buy one.

Speaking of Augs, I just ran across this photo on the SAI site of an Aug with a grenade launcher!

http://www.steyrarms.com/fileadmin/downloads/pictures/AUG A3 w grenade launcher.jpg

11. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

i heard that the kel-tec was gonna be $$$$$$$$$ close to aug-a3 price anyway.

when i saw that bullpup, i figured it would be a great gun in the $600-700 range. what i heard was $1800-2000.

anyone else heard a price for that sweet kel-tec bullpup.

12. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Member

Heard about the same as you did.

KT has a forum for the RFB, it's got some nice pictures and videos of it in action.

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=499

13. Its about damn time this mess has been cleared up.

Over at AR15.com there are people who were crying out for Steyr to be burned at the stake, but of course none of them will admit they were wrong.
    :roll:

The AUG A3 will be able to be sold to LEOs in 2008, but us civilians will still be screwed unless Steyr finds a way around the import restrictions.

14. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I was googling for more news and noticed that a more English-friendly translation of the "No Steyr rifles in Iraq" story is now up on the Steyr-Mannlicher site. http://www.steyr-mannlicher.com/index.php?id=253&L=1

15. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya *foto* :)

Thanx for stayin' on top o' this story. :) I owe and other interested SC Bro's owe ya, bigtime, Bro. 8) Hava great weekend. :)

Wulf <-- thinx *foto* deserves a standin' ovation...so he stands and claps alone in the puter room...'is ol'lady thinkin' he's crazy

16. mikey

mikey Guest

I see from this updated translation that Scott Miller has apparently been demoted from a “Lieutenant Commander” to a mere “Lieutenant.” :D

I still wish there was more of a follow-up to this, however. I’ve been chomping at the bit to post this info over on FALfiles (where the members there creamed Steyr pretty good) but I’ve been holding off pending further info.

17. loneeagle308

loneeagle308 Guest

Who was the die hard Steyr moderator who instantly was going to get rid of his Steyrs and assume vomiting in the toilet for purchasing a Steyr? I am still laughing cos usually my foresight is not too good. But when I quoted at the time; on uncollaborated information; seems to have hit the mark.

18. loneeagle308

loneeagle308 Guest

anyone going to let him know it was blasphemy or did he bury his Steyr's already? Either way, what a jack arse...

19. mikey

mikey Guest

In fairness to Ripped, the evidence - at the time - seemed pretty damning. Nonetheless, I agreed with all the folks who said “Let’s wait a while, so we can be completely sure about this." I have to admit, though, that I still wasn't all that comfortable with what I’d just heard.

Of course, as it turns out, the whole story (apparently) was a hoax. Quite a relief for us Steyr fans.

And, as for Ripped, sometimes a guy’s just gotta follow his conscience. I’ve got no hard feelings against the guy.