No loaded chamber indicator?? M40 A-1

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Roby Allen, May 5, 2013.

1. Roby Allen

Roby Allen New Member

Just curious I bought a M40 A-1 today at local gunshot. I have owned a M40 for quite a while and noticed the M40 a-1 doesn't have the loaded chamber indicator. The instruction manual indicates it should have one so I am a bit confused. I knew the manual safety was gone and the addition of the rail but I am wondering if this is correct.
    Any help would be appreciated.

.......................Roby.....................

2. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

they ditched it though think they re-engineered it back in.

3. Roby Allen

Roby Allen New Member

Thanks for the reply. Mr Apathy. I liked it and the manual safety but I wanted another Steyr as the M-40 has served me well. I liked having another 40 sw that took the same magazines so I didn't have to re stock mags and ammo. I like the new grip better but until I run a few boxes of ammo through it I want know if I like it better than the M40.

4. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

I loved my original M40 and M9 with the LCI and manual safety but I am more than happy to have a A1 with none of those. gun is great. after a while I got compfortable without the safety but when I went and did competition shooting they made me put the gun safety on. I was quite good at turning the safety off in one stroke of the finger but it got tiresome.

hope ya got a good supply of ammo its getting kinda scary with govt buying all it is but I think if DHS was going to do anything they would be getting more than just 40sw if news agencies and watchdogs are doing theyre job reporting whats going on then not much to worry bout.

5. tuicatuica

tuicatuica New Member

I think that LCI's are un-needed. You should know if you have one in the pipe! Also, help me on this one - I believe that only Steyr's and Glock's trigger is in a rearward position when "uncocked." Anyone know of any other pistol brand that does this? Thanks.

6. EarlyBronco

EarlyBronco New Member

Agree 100%, I'm not a fan of LCI's never have been (press check, here) but if its your preference, see if someone would be interested in trading you their M-A1 slide assembly w/LCI for your slide assembly. (Correct me if I'm wrong guys but isn't it a straight swap?)
    I thought only the 1st series M-A1's had LCI's, the 2nd series M-A1's had the rollers in the slide instead (only so much real estate on the inside, back of the slide so something had to go= bye-bye LCI on the 2nd series)
    My 1st series M9-A1 has a LCI and I would love to be rid of it, any 2nd series M9-A1 owners wanna trade??? Lol

7. Talyn

Talyn New Member

LCI's are awesome if somebody has a gun pointed at you and its blatantly obvious (ruger LC9) if there is a bullet in the chamber or not.

8. tuicatuica

tuicatuica New Member

I had not considered the "gun pointing at you" scenario. Thanks Talyn.

9. EarlyBronco

EarlyBronco New Member

It's a good point, that's why I always liked revolvers, not necessarily pointed at me, but....easy to tell.
    Of course, if someone's pointing a Steyr (among others) at me I'm SOL, but then again, I really don't want any of em pointed at me, if I can help it lol