Night Sights Installation

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Illini, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Illini

Illini New Member

I just ordered a set of night sites for my M1 to replace the factory ones. How do I replace them? Do I move them from left to right or do I move them from right to left? I have used the search function on this forum, and have found different opinions on how to do this. I know on my Glock that I moved them from left to right. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks... Illini

2. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

I was very careful when I performed my first sight install on an M9 with night sights I obtained via Steyr USA. And I still managed to damage the finish on the slide, requiring a complete refinish at an additional cost of $140. Afterwards, I let my gunsmith install them for me, and he let me watch him. He used a plastic punch and mallet, and had to custom fit the sights by sanding the bases slightly to get the right fit. My mistake was to assume they would fit correctly as shipped, and force them in with a sight pusher, which makes it very easy to damage the slide.

BTW, my gunsmith did install them from the right side of the slide. Not certain it matters, but that is how he did it.

3. nickyill

nickyill New Member

I'm a newb - so forgive my ignorance...I've seen three-dot night sights available, are these "stock/trap" night sights? I'd like night sights as well, just love the stock set up so well I don't want to convert to 3-dot....sorry for the hi-jack of the thread as well!

4. Illini

Illini New Member

The ones that I have ordered are Trijicon 3 dot night sights. I am still looking for more definitive confirmation of the removal of the factory sights. I believe that it is left to right when viewed from behind. Can someone else confirm?...Illini

5. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

No, any night sights will be three dot - you would lose the traps.

6. triplepete

triplepete New Member

I just replaced the trap sights on my M9 with Trijicon 3 dot nights after borrowing my friends universal sight change tool. I tried using hammer and drift but those stock trap sights dont budge. Even with the universal sight press the front was a bugger and I ended up ruining the front sightto get it out, the slide is fine.

After removal of front dove tail, I noticed the slides front dove tail tapers toward the middle so either way it goes in or out doesn't matter. The new Trij front is tapered on one side anyway so it only goes in one way. The back was much easier but press still needed.

The universal sight press is available on Brownells website.

7. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  8. Illini

Illini New Member

I got them installed using a brass punch and a 5lb mallet. I have never encountered more difficulty than with this gun. The front sight was tough, but the rear was even worse. I like the new sights much better though...Illini

9. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

This post of phenomenally incomplete....

It is critical (and good form) after everyone chimes in to help with your question that you share with us also from which side of the slide you removed/installed the sights, as well as post photos of your new 'precious' for all to gaze at in wonder and amazement.

Yes. Really.

10. Illini

Illini New Member

I will try and take a picture and get it posted this weekend...Illini

11. Illini

Illini New Member

Here it is

image.jpg

Attached Files:

12. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

She's a beauty!!!

13. mlk18

mlk18 New Member

I have installed night sights Glocks, S&W M&P's, S&W 3rd Gens, Berettas, Rugers, Brownings, etc. I have found the easiest method is patience mixed with a good padded vice, a plastic punch, a brass punch, a hammer and a good file. Patience being the most important item on that list. Very few night sights are "drop in" parts and most need a little fitting. Penetrating oil can also go a long way in helping remove the old sight.