Night sight longevity

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by Buzz, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

All of the guns that I own with night sights came with them installed. I'm going to be adding some night sights to some guns and a question occurs to me. These sights have a limited life, usually around ten years, it seems. And, it's not like you can turn them on and turn them off. Do they come marked with their production date so one can determine how long they've been sitting on the shelf? Their value would be greatly affected by this factor.

Buzz

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I believe the date of manufacture is usually stamped on the packaging the sites come in. At least this has been true of the trijicon and meprolights I have seen in stores...

3. DAIadvisor

DAIadvisor New Member

Consider purchasing rechargeable sights that glow after exposure to light - short burst of tac light on the sights, and they glow for about 40 minutes. No fear of running them low with time. :) They are also 1/2 the cost of tritium.

4. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

But they lack the ability to show you the exact orientation of your pistol as it sits on your nightstand in the dark. To me, this is one of the key reasons for having tritium sights - you never know if that home invasion might come at 11PM right after you lay down, or at 4AM when the "stored glow" on the paint of your sights has worn off. Personal preference I guess.

5. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Also, if you hit the sights with light in a low light condition you stand to screw up your night vision.

I have those re-chargeable sights on my Beretta PX4 and on a 90-Two that I'll be picking up this week. For me the sights are better than nothing, but not by much. They do glow nicely, but if the time comes that I really need them recharging them will be the last thing on my mind. They need to be there ready to go from the git go.

Buzz

6. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Last night I decided to try out the effectiveness of Beretta's re-charge Superluminova nite sights. I use my new 90-Two upon which they are standard, the gun is shown at the link below with a little friend. http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/7350/img2531nt6.jpg

After a full cahrging (hard to know what that is) they were glowing super bright, more than I've seen tritium glow, obviously glowing in a very well lit room. After five minutes they has simmered down a bit and were still nice and bright. At ten minutes the brightnness was way down and just useable, At 15 minutes they were about at the point that I would consider replacing Trijicons with fast acquisition of the front dot difficult. At twenty minutes they were a faint ghostly glow and basically useless. Same with thirty minutes when they were basically gone. I tested each time interval is various light conditions. Comments are based upon very low light conditions but not complete darkness.

The problem remains that they do require a fairly precise application of light to fully charge and that general light conditions in the room will not fully accomplish this. They are fine as they come with the gun, but for serious night sights I'd go with tritium (Trijicon, Meprolight). My PX4 has the same sights and are pretty much the same if not identical in effectiveness.

BTW, MY steyr GB has the same type of sights, years ahead of their time and very similar if maybe shorter in duration. I think a few other guns I have have this style night sight.

Buzz