Night Match! Steyr M9A1 takes 2nd overall

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by ThaiBoxer, Dec 12, 2011.

1. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Had a fun night match with one of my M9A1s with Trijicon night sights. Night matches have made me a believer in the use of night sights for getting hits in low light, where you can see the target but regular sights are pretty hard to see. Results aren't posted online yet, but The MD told me today I took 2nd overall. My buddy Mark beat me with his 1911, he was very smooth that night. I smoked them all on 1 stage, but I got waxed good on another. Finished the night by running 15 rds thru my Poseidon silencer in total darkness, no muzzle or eject port flash at all.

M9A1 fxn'd perfectly.

Go Steyr!

2. blueorison

blueorison Member

GO BEN!!!!

A 1911?!! Congrats to your friend and I hope you smoke him next time!!! Must have been using light .45 handloads... grumble grumble.. I'm sure you'll get 1st next time.

I've used my Steyr in nightmatches, and you're right, it is easier with glowing dots; the silhouette of the black sights against the flashlight is much harder to pick up vs illuminated sights.

3. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Way ta go, Ben! :thumbsup:

Keep up the good work, Bro...ur SC Bro's are proud of ya.

[​IMG]

Wulf <-- thinkin', "no muzzle flash at night?" ... WTF?! :popcorn:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  4. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

5. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

... an' still, "Great showin', Bro". :thumbsup:

Wulf <-- wonderin' how ta tame the muzzle flash at night w/ 'is M357-A1 beastie :popcorn:

6. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Lighter powder charges, heavier bullets and faster powder?

7. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Slide still cycles? ... or ya gotta go into "cycle-the-slide-by-hand mode"?

Wulf <-- kinda curious :popcorn:

8. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

So with a little trepidation, I'll volunteer that using fast powder, with small charges, gets you pressure enough to cycle the slide, and nearly complete burning before the muzzle is reached. The downside is that that combo is really sensitive to the +/-0.1 grain accuracy of most powder throws. But hey, what's a flattened primer or two.

Hey Wulf, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from Carter's Country Treshwig!

9. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

TREASCHWIG?! You're out in Spring, TX? They still pronounce it, "Sprang" 'round there? :lol:

Happy Holidays <-- right back to ya, Bro! [​IMG]

10. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Does the M357 use the same spring as the 9/40? If so, I'd say load 3.6 gr Solo1000, a 147 gr pill, and test. That is my current 9mm load.

My .40 Lite loads are much less powerful than most factory .40 loads and run perfectly in all my Steyr .40s.

11. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Thanx, Ben.

When I get caught up with snow removal projects up here in this lit'l 8K' high mountain community, I'll check it out. I haven't tried any Solo1K, but I got some Bullseye that I occasionally use to flatten primers. :thumbsup:

Hava great Holiday Season an' g'luck w/ your next comp, Bro. :thumbsup:

Wulf <-- learned a long time ago about the need for caution an' fast burnin' powders and pressure spikes! ... an' scary monsters! [​IMG]

12. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

Yup, Sprang it is! Although more to the Tomball side... The Awl Bidness is doin' jes' fine - saw a semi hauling 3 40' sections of 3" DOM pipe this morning - hmmmm, can you say deep water completion?