Night Match! M40 and M40A1! Flashlight!

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by ThaiBoxer, Dec 13, 2008.

1. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Tonite will be my first nightmatch, supposed to be an USPSA format match. It is cold (30s) and rainy here. Taking my carry/house M40 with tritium PT sights, and my game M40A1 with Dawson Precision FO front and PT rear (no pics), really want to see how the tritium sights work. Will use my Custom Carry Concepts quad mag holder and a Grandfather Oak kydex belt holster, because it fits with M40 and M40A1. NexTorch tac light from CED. Shooting L10 Major, with 180 gr. lead loaded with 4.8 gr Solo1000. We shall see how the flash, light handling and sights work.

Cool!

Go Steyr!

2. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

Blast 'em dude, blast 'em!

Looking forward to the range report.

3. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Aww, fiddlesticks. Cancelled due to weather. What a bunch of sissy-boys.

4. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

yeah really.

i remember shooting idpa one summer and "they" decided that since it was so hot, "they" would waive the cover garment requirement.

as if any of us CCW holders were going to open carry because it was hot, that any of us expected the bad guys to take a day off for heat... i mean, c'mon!

this is "real world"... no one says, "nah honey, it's too hot/cold/rainy/snowy for bad guys to mug us, let's just leave the guns home today. or we could open carry."

i know you'd have shot with freezing cold shaking hands, too bad no one else would go for it.

how do you like the custom carry concepts quad carrier? they're pretty spiffy i think!

5. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

I like Rich's quad better than the BladeTech quad, have 3 of Rich's and 1 of BladeTech. I'm after Rich to make me one with the outer mags angled and the inner mags straight. He says he may get some free time for new stuff in Jan.

6. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

rich's stuff just blows me away.

i'll agree that some sort of space between the two mags or an angle would be the icing on the cake.

7. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

So then, Taco Grande....been to a match lately? As a shooter? All work and no play makes Billy a dull boy....Hope you get out and pop some caps, if you haven't lately. Or do they shut down in Dec-Jan-Feb?

Cheers,

Ben

8. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

our last match is the end of october.

east huntingdon typically does an all steel match in november.

but i must admit to not competing lately. i HATE going on sunday and shooting poorly, but can't put the 200-300 rounds a week into proper practice. time, money, driving all over etc... (excuses, excuses)

i know... i know... dry fire, reload drills and shoot airsoft in the house and i'll be "good enough".

"good enough" isn't something i handle well. i should just suck it up and shoot mediocre, but i look at the scores at the end and i know that with a little practice i could have knocked several seconds off.

keep in mind that the guy i normally shoot with earned a spot at nationals after top showings at states and the regional match. when i'm 5-10 seconds off his time, i get bummed out. he's known to fire in excess of 600 rounds per week on average. he dry fires 15 minutes in the morning, 15 at night. he orders pallets of bullets and powder.

to me, it feels like playing a pick up basketball game and my neighbors are shaq and kobe, a little turkey ball with roethlisberger and ward, a coffee shop poetry reading hosted by maya anjelou, a free style contest with RZA talking smack.

that's just my perception. he's a really nice dude, but i feel some unrealistic performance anxiety. this guy is my buddy and in production division, he typically finishes 2nd or 3rd. when i finish 10th out of 30, i almost feel bad for holding up the range. ipsc around me is super competitive and sometimes that much competition takes all the fun out of...

competition.

ironic, i know.

9. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Jeez. Go smack around some little kids or something, and feel better....;)

All in fun,

Ben

10. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

The night match is a go for this Saturday. And I got a kitchen pass to go shoot it, too!

Woooo Hooooo, baby!

11. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Excellent.

Will be watching for your report after!!!

12. TDR911

TDR911 New Member

Train in the worst conditions as they come up. You never know when the BG is coming. Then you are prepared. Besides there will be many more perfect days to shoot.
    I love nasty, dirty , sloppy, cold missarable days to waller in the mud and have fun. Just to look at my wifes face when I come home & she says , What the hell happened to you? . Plastic on the seat works great to preserve the mess.