Next

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by Buzz, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

In another thread discussing the status of Steyr/SAI it was asked which gun is next while we wait for more from Steyr. Assuming you have all that you want that you can have right now from Steyr, what gun is next for you?

Having fleshed out my Ruger P Series mini-collection (other than the P95) I have my eye on a used IMI Baby Desert Eagle semi-compact in .40 S&W. When I pick up my PPK/S from layaway on Monday I may well put it on layaway, or of it is gone go with a full size new Baby Eagle. I once had a Desert Eagle in .357 magnum, and the Baby Eagle has enough similarities to satisfy in lieu of droppping a grand to replace the magnum.

BTW, another potential "next gun" is a gun at my indoor range, a range gun Steyr M357A1. He has offered to sell it to me for $400 out the door. It's a proven range gun, but it's a range gun....Opinions?

Buzz

2. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

M357-A1s are pretty scarce. If you don't want it, someone else here may be interested. That must be one fine range you go to, to have such a rare pistol available to shoot. If it's not shot to pieces, it would be a good buy.

For my next pistol, I sincerely wish Steyr would bring some new choices in, like a S357-A1 or a large-frame .45, 10mm or 357 Sig. But doesn't look like anything is on the horizon anytime soon.

I got Sig fever recently when I saw a buy on a P226 in 357 Sig for under $700, but now it's gone and I didn't have the money anyway.

I'd love to be able to hold and shoot one of the Sig knockoffs from Serbia, currently imported by EAA as the Zastava EZ, but it's only available in 9mm and .40, not 357 Sig. At least I can afford one of those, well under $500. :mrgreen:

[​IMG]

3. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Buzz - What are they getting for the IMI Semi-Compact?

They are going for about 470.00 NIB around here....

Be sure to order the hogue rubber grip directly from Magnum Research for it!

I have several of these beauties.... and they are still my favorites to shoot!

4. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

My next gun is definitely a long gun - either a M1A Scout, a PTR91KFM, or an AR of some assortment - money and my mood when I have the $ will determine which I go with probably.

If I was shopping for another handgun right now, it'd be another M9A1 so I could move my current nightstand pistol to full-time CCW - I get sick of taking all the gizmo's off it (ya, I know - a good problem to have) so I tend to opt for carrying one of my other pistols instead. :( I also wouldn't mind having a P22 + can or an integrally suppressed Ruger .22 of some assortment...

5. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

6. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Buzz - I have not fired the semi-compact or full-compact...

All mine are full size....

Full-compact has to small of grip for my tastes...

Semi-compact just a shorter muzzle end, so I would assume [uh-oh] they have just a little more muzzle flip[?]

is the 299 NIB?

how many they have at those prices?

:?

7. mrboma

mrboma Member

8. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

MrBoma -

I just held one of those in my hands last week....

not very pricey... and interesting indeed....

Maybe I should pick one up....

9. mrboma

mrboma Member

Babyj,
    That's just mean! I demand a range report if you pick one up.

Here is the "other next" I am looking into. Too bad I would have to sell a few other toys to cover it.

[​IMG]

10. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Walther P99 or another 9mm Steyr
    Then Beretta M9, or Sig P226
    Then, thru the darkness of night, with the moon shining bright, it's Superfly: gold Desert Eagle .50 AE

11. steyrcase

steyrcase Member

I've got 10mm fever, I held out for a 10mm Steyr as long as I could.
    Last week a deal on a Dan Wesson Pointman Major passed in front of me and I took it.
    One lost sale for Steyr.

12. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

I'd pass and wait/find a new one.

This is what i'm wiating for:
    FNP-45 due out before Christmas

[​IMG]

13. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

babj615, the gun is lightly used for $299. I haven't seen better prices but then again I haven't looked all that much. If the semi-compact is still there tomorrow I will take another long look and look at the full size as well. One of them will be mine. Hopefully someday I can sneak up on a replacement for my Desert Eagle in .357, and incredibly sweet shooting gun. The one that I had was beat to hell in a lot of little ways but only cosmetically. I restored it (including new factory grips) and it was wonderful, like new. Selling it was , stupid, stupid, stupid, as opportunities to acquire an easily restorable gun for next to nothing don't often present themself.

MrBoma, I own "The Judge" but have not fired it yet. It was a real impulse buy. I have the Stainless shorter (4 inch?) barrel. I have a box of 45 LC, and whata round! With the looks of the gun I couldn't pass. It looks like something styled for "Streets of Fire". It has a very nice trigger. As babj615 points out they aren't at all pricey. American Rifleman just did a review. BTW, that STI 1911 is incredible. When I get serious about 1911s (right now I have an RIA Compact) I will go STI.

Syntaz360, I have a PTR91 KF. It is a real piece of work. The workmanship on it is superior to HK. The aluminum fooreguard, which is set for any rails that you'd want to put on, is a real peice of work. It's so nice in fact that I took it off and replaced it with a wide forearm. BTW, for the short K you need to use an HK93 forearm that goes on with the most minor of fitting on the guard at the magwell cutout.

Netfotoj, is that Zastava the same gun as the Charles Daly CZ99?

14. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Bling!!!

It's funny, lately all I'm seeing is the .50 Desert Eagle. Shooting that gun has to be an experience.

In my list of guns that I truly regret selling my .357 DE is right up there, along with my P9S.

Buzz

15. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

The DE 50AE is quite an experience!!!!

Always puts a smile on my face...

...and everyone at the range stops what they are doing to come see what the hell just made that "BA-BOOM"!!!

My local shop has 2 or 3 of the 44 Magnum DE's avail, used.....

I will prob order the .44 Magnum and .357 barrels soon for mine!

16. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Yep, that's it. It's apparently a copy of the Sig 226. Here's a post I found on http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=202592

Here's a fuller history up to the present. http://www.cz999.org/

So Charles Daly dropped the pistol in 2006 and it's now available through EAA. Sure looks like a Sig 226 to me.
    Zastava EZ
    [​IMG]
    SIG 226
    [​IMG]

17. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

I just picked up a Walther P22 on Thursday. It wasn't on my list, but because the case was broken I got it a really really good price. :) My partner and I and a couple of our friends shot it yesterday in our friend's yard. It was excellent cheap fun. My partner loves it and I am looking forward to putting a can on it. It was a great decision by Walther to put threaded barrels standard in the P22. My partner also wants a PPK/S, which is at the top of my list too.

"The Judge" is very hard to come by in stainless, so if you see one and you think you might want it, I recommend snagging it. The shop I help out in has a special edition one that is blued with a stainless cylinder and accents.

The gun that is really at the top of my list is the Mossberg 590 tactical shotgun. That has been pushed back, however, since I couldn't pass up on the P22. I am also probably going deer hunting this year, for the first time, and may have to get a gun for that, though my partner prefers that I borrow one. That would be sensible but not as much fun. :twisted:

I could get an AR or Sig 556 and put an appropriate scope on it, but that just doesn't seem right to me. There is a used, scoped H&R single shot .223 in the shop that I would love an excuse to buy. My dilemma is that in Indiana you can only hunt with shotgun or a pistol caliber rifle (like a .44 Mag lever gun ) but in Michigan you can hunt with a rifle. I could end up hunting in either or both states, but I will probably end up hunting only in Michigan.

So many guns, so little money.

18. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Posterboy7,

I get confused reading your posts when you refer to your "Partner"...

Is this your "On the job Partner" or "Significant Other"????

I assume the latter, but don't understand why you wouldn't then say "Wife"?

...and we all know what happens when someone assumes something...

...just trying to get the "Whole Picture" when I read your posts... and not correctly understanding your meaning of the word "Partner" can dramatically change the context of many of your posts...

Please explain???

19. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Enjoy the P22. I really enjoy mine but don't shoot it enough.

BTW, if reliability is ever an issue go to a hyper velocity round like CCI Mini-Mags and your problems will disappear.

Buzz

20. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

I picked up my used Interarms PPK/S today out of layaway http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/6633/img2448ng5.jpg and put that used Baby Eagle in .40 S&W that I referred to earlier on layaway. I hope to have it this time next week.

The gun has a fair amount of holster wear but I had a Dersert Eagle that was worn about the same amount that looked NIB by the time that I was done with it. They did have a brand new full size Baby Eagle in 9mm for $469, but the $299 price tag really grabbed me, plus I liked the balance of the shorter barrel as well as the beefier caliber.

Unless a dirt cheap P9S or HK4 shows up I have no other gun purchases planned for the foreseeable future.

Buzz