Newbie with a gun! New M9A1..

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by rcgerrish, Jan 10, 2008.

1. rcgerrish

rcgerrish Guest

Hi Folks,

My name's Ryan, and I just picked up a M9A1 from CDNN. Jumped at the $339.99 price-seems like a fantastic deal. I searched this wonderful forum, and learned: Read the gun safety and user manuals, Download the tutorials, bought cleaning goodies from walmart, clean the CDNN gun before use in case it's been sitting a while, check the 15 round mags for short springs, buy some CCI Blazer Brass and break her in about 500, buy an UPLULA and a couple extra clips, Clean after every use, and remember Bigtacos fancy rod. :)

This is my first handgun, and I'm definately excited to have it. I'm really in to the Euro military vehicle scene, and this gun goes well with my Steyr Puch Haflinger.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and my friend and I's other Steyrs:

[​IMG]

Glad to be here,
    Ryan

2. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Welcome aboard. Nice ride!

Range report required (or at least highly anticipated). :mrgreen:

3. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seems you got it all figured out so have fun..............

4. rcgerrish

rcgerrish Guest

Thanks!

Just cleaned it. I didnt see any old oil or gunk, everything looked sharp. I didnt have any gun oil, so I used 30wt motor oil.

Range report to come in a few weeks.

ryan

5. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I've used the lightest weight synthetic motor oil I can find, 5Wsomething, and it's worked well; 30W might be a bit too heavy, but if you used it sparingly you should be OK.

Another oil I have that works well is a synthetic oil called Trek with Teflon. I got it at a bike shop to lubricate bike chains but it works great with pistols, too.

If you go down to Wally World, you can get genuine Remington gun oil, which has Teflon in it and is highly regarded. I also have some S&W Dry Lube that I usually use to finish up with, a very light spray inside after cleaning and on the outside after reassembling. And while you're at Wally World, pick up some Break Free, I particularly like BF's Powder Blast Dry Cleaner to blast all the gunk out of the innards. And don't forget the Hoppes No. 9 bore cleaner. Finally, get a couple of cans of compressed air from the computer department to blow dry your pistol's innards after cleaning. There are many other good lubes, those are just the ones I like. :mrgreen:

And while I'm selling lubes, get some Slide Glide Lite by Brian Enos. Great stuff for slides. A little 2 oz. tub is only $10 and will last practically forever, or longer than I'm liable to live unless you own a lot more pistols than I do.

I've got a couple of fancy gun cleaning kits, but mostly I use old toothbrushes to scrub down the innards when I'm cleaning pistols. (I've got a couple of denture brushes with pointy bristles that work really great. One of the few advantages of being an old geezer like me with dentures.) You do need a brass-bristle brush and some patches to clean the barrel, but that's about it. You can also pick up a 9mm bore snake from your local gun shop to give your barrel a few swipes when you're too lazy to field strip it. :mrgreen:

6. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

+1 on the Slide Glide Lite :wink:

7. rcgerrish

rcgerrish Guest

I used the Rem oil, Hoppes 9 and a tooth brush. I also got a barrel cleaning kit. I just didnt have any of the regular oil as per the tutorial, and people said they had good luck with 30wt motor oil in the past. (I used very little)

I'll pick up some of the slide guide- sounds good!

thanks for the tips,
    Ryan

8. rcgerrish

rcgerrish Guest

I disassembled the 2 clips that came with my M9-A1 this morning, and behold! 9 coil springs. :(

I'll be calling SAI ASAP. I dont want to fire it without proper springs.

Ryan

9. You're doing things the right way. You shouldn't have any issues.

Good shooting. You should get your mags back fast from SAI they are very speedy.

10. rcgerrish

rcgerrish Guest

Just got off the phone with Jeff and the other nice sales guy there. He's got 2 11 coil springs on the way. They didnt have any hi-cap mags in stock (I asked about buying more) but he said CDNN might have some, although they could be the improper springs. The part number for the hi-cap 9mm mag is #3902050502.

Ryan

11. rcgerrish

rcgerrish Guest

I bought 200 rounds of CCI Blazer Brass from my local sporting goods megastore. $13.99 per 50. How is that price-wise?

12. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Go to Wally World and you can get Winchester White Box 9mm 115 gr. FMJs, 100 rds. for $15.22. It's great range ammo and quite hot, too. WWB is the most popular ammo here.

I picked up a box of 50 CCI Brass at a gun show this weekend for $9 because a friend wanted to shoot my PF-9 and I didn't have any FMJs with me. Sometimes the megastore sporting goods ain't the cheapest. :mrgreen:

13. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

You should be able to get 100 rounds of WWB or CCI (aluminum and brass) for between $12-20. Walmart is probably the best deal in town. 8)

14. rcgerrish

rcgerrish Guest

My Walmart doesnt carry any Brass ammunition! Weird.

15. steyrile

steyrile Member

A bit late but welcome to the club!
    That is a nice ride...
    :party:
    Health, Peace
    steyrile