newbie needing help!

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by nayr, Oct 26, 2007.

1. nayr

nayr Guest

Im a newbie at this new hobby so bare with me. :?:

Ok i just got my m40a1 today and would like to know if you guys can tell me where and what site i can watch how to field strip my m40-a1. im kinda stuck after sliding the disassembling lever... and i dont want to cause any kind of damage to it. i asked the gun store (turners) if they can demonstrate how to field strip it, unfortunately their policy prohibits it and they dont want to be liable for any kind of damage they might cause....

any help would be appreciated. thanks

2. butch_d

butch_d New Member

Click the Home button on the top of the page, you'll see a section on tutorials.

I'm sure you'll learn a thing or two. :wink:

3. nayr

nayr Guest

thanks for the help butch... ill check it out right now.

4. nayr

nayr Guest

ok this is cool, after some more reading and with butch's help i was able to finally field strip my m40-a1... all i need now is some ammo and off to the shooting range i go... cant wait till tomorrow yahoooo :D :)

5. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Howdy, nayr :)

And welcome to The Club :). Just a reminder about field strippin' your Steyr M or S Series auto loading pistol:

Always make sure that your autoloader is empty before pulling the trigger to decock it for the take down, and always make sure that you've decocked it before engaging the takedown lever and removing the slide from the grip frame. :shock:

It may seem lika little thing, but this is the first step for a very good reason when performing the Steyr M and S Series disassembly. If ya engage the takedown lever and remove the slide from the grip frame when your M or S Series is cocked, your reassembly will present a problem for ya, but that's another story. ;) Be safe and have fun and let us know how it goes at the range. :p

Wulf <-- hopin' not to sound condescending

6. nayr

nayr Guest

hey Wulf, thanks for tip and the concern. indeed i am taking every precaution dealing with a weapon like this. fortunately i dont have any ammo yet so i know im safe for now. i will let you know how it goes on the range.

let me just share something with you guys what the main reason why i got my self a handgun is because of the adrenaline rush i felt after going with my brother to the shooting range. he has an Springfield xD 9mm and it was a thrill just shooting although the only problem i had was the grip of the xD was just uncomfortable when firing. So i checked out steyr and it did feel good, lucky for me the m40-a1 went on sale... :) thats about it guys.

7. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

eh.....

I am sure you are well aware of what you are doing, but this statement makes me 'uneasy', to say the least....

...it is a well known fact that 'unloaded guns' kill more people every year than loaded guns do....

YOU ARE NEVER SAFE AROUND GUNS....

THEY ARE ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS LOADED........

OK, I'm done here.....

8) 8)

8. nayr

nayr Guest

ok its been a month now and i still havent fired a single shot out of my m40, work has just been a grind. i can finally say that i will be heading out to the open range this saturday with my brother.

for my first question. whats the best and easiest magazine loading tool do you guys use? these ammo and magz are a pain to load...

for my 2nd question. maybe its just me, but do you guys have trouble cocking the gun with a fully loaded magazine? the magazine will only hold 10 rounds (cali law prohibits more than that). but im just having a lil bit of a hard time... can someone confirm this?

thanks for any info you might be able to help me with!

9. xjrat

xjrat Premium Member

Nayr, Ya the 10 rounders are NOT easy to load I have a them also
    I don't however have an easy loader. I just use my awesome manly
    strong hands, I can bend steel, crush beer kegs, rip phone books in half,
    punch holes through brick walls. Still after loading a few of the 10 rounders
    my hands are tired...
    What part of Ca are you? I am in Ventura area...

xjrat

10. nayr

nayr Guest

:D hey Xjrat, im located in the LA county between glendale and pasadena are. unlike you, i just have man hands but are putting in a few rounds my thumbs start to hurt. :oops:

thanks irkedcitizen for the info. ill be sure to look that up... thanks guys for the help.

11. IrkedCitizen

IrkedCitizen New Member

No problem. They are supposedly the best mag loaders on the market. They are constantly out of stock and on backorder.

12. nayr

nayr Guest

Went to the indoor gun range today using my (m1-A40) for the first time and shot about 15o rounds (break-in) for about an hour. Gun performed really well and the trapezoid sight was awesome. There was a relaxed feeling when gripping the hand gun. Recoil was as stong as my brother's 9mm Springfield Xd. There was one minor thing that happened with my handgun and that was one of the rounds got stuck right before it entered the barrel. My brother was shooting and when he came to the 3rd round of the magazine then it jammed. luckily one of our friends, a more experienced hand gun user was able to assess the situation and got the stuck ammo out for me. Overall i give it a 9.95 out of a 10.... I was also advised that since the gun is so new, i should try loading 9 rounds instead of 10 to eliminate that problem in the future..

One more thing to add here, both my brother and our friend like the performance of the steyr. i think they will be investing in getting one. hehehe.

13. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

What brand ammo were you shooting?

14. As far as the magazine issue you should be fine as long as your magazine springs are the right ones (see magazine tacked thread in this forum).

I would suggest use of Winchester White Box pistol ammunition during your 500-round break in period. Avoid range reloads, Wolf, and Remington UMC if you want to be trouble free.

15. nayr

nayr Guest

hey syntax, ammo i had available was wincherster, remington and magtech...

i dont know if it makes any difference but are there any ammo that suits well with the steyr?

16. nayr

nayr Guest

syntax, did you have problems using ammo with your steyr?

17. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

Just wanted to reiterate this point to the newbie, which I am one to as I took a long 10 year break from guns....what babyj said is the golden rule of guns....as I have been around a lot of guns in my life I started to take things for granted and I was messin with my gun when I was about to pull the trigger to dry fire it and it occurred to me I better check the loaded indicator and the see if I had a mag in and sure enough even though there was no round in the chamber there was a loaded mag in. Of course this was not a close call but it was a reminder to me that all it takes is a lack of good habits to end in catastrophe.

18. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

We have a thread going in the ammo forum on these matters, and the consensus seems to be that UMC is the primary offender. I've never had a problem with CCI brass or aluminum, and only had an occasional hiccup with WWB during the break in period. You should not be getting many failures... Get the pistol good and broken in (say 500 rounds or so). If you plan on picking up some more mags, it would be good to scratch or etch numbers into the back of each and note which mags you are having failures while using. The final step is to send the pistol in to SAI - they will likely change the extractor and plunger and they will make sure the pistol is good to go before sending it back.

I suspect your problems will disappear by 500 rounds, but if not, let us know...

19. nayr

nayr Guest

god advice there syntax... as the title states i am a newbie with guns.. but now that ive gone 2x to the range gives me a little bit of knowledge to my gun's working condition. i will etch my magz to see which one gives me the problem as you have mentioned. i still have about 350 more rounds to go before a good break-in period... hopefully both myself and my handgun will turn for the better target and shooting wise... :D