New Year's Eve Party - Hico, TX

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Syntax360, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

We're seriously thinking about busing down to the 'ol Hico to unleash some more mayhem to ring in the New Year. I'm thinking 2-3 carloads of people, guns, fireworks, and other assorted arson-prerequisites. What better way to welcome the New Year than with a heaping serving of freedom? :salute:

Thread with pictures from our last Hico rendezvous:
    https://www.steyrclub.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5246

Post up if you are interested - it should be pretty epic...

2. Narsil

Narsil Premium Member

Sounds awesome! Can you move it a couple miles east of the ol' Hico? Say Tampa'ish?? ;)

3. silver x0ne

silver x0ne New Member

I'd be more than happy to make an attempt at going again... I'll have to see how things pan out with the baby but I may be able to make it :)

4. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Woohoo - some SBR love would definitely contribute to the mix :D

5. JaegerWulf

JaegerWulf Premium Member

Definately interested in this. Hey... I got a notification.... Gotta check that out too. Notice I'm not on much anymore (family and school, yay!!!).

Alright, we carpooling or what? What time do you want to meet, etc.? I just got my Steyr M9A1 and my wife's Walther PPS 9mm.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  6. Bone_Enterprise

Bone_Enterprise New Member

A 310 mile drive from my part of Texas to Hico, think I will have to unfortunatly pass.
    Little bit of a drive to go all that way, then turn around and come back. =P

7. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I should have a definite timetable setup tomorrow, but I'll also be jetting up north, so I do not know if I'll get to post up or not. I'll definitely let you guys know in the next couple days. Right now, we're trying to decide on an overnighter NYE party or just doing a New Years Day thing... I'm leaning towards the former, but waiting for the greenlight from our favorite Texanese host. He just hopped off a plane from Japland, and I figured it'd be alright to let him catch a few z's before locking him into decisions about the particulars... :lol:

Stay tuned :)

8. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Alright gents, this just in - we're planning on hitting Hico New Years Eve and doing up the festivities. We'll crash there and do most of the shooting New Years day. That way, those who just want to shoot can show up New Years Day without having to stay over if they do not wish. Spread the word and hit me up with firm numbers if you and yours are coming to either or both days.

9. JaegerWulf

JaegerWulf Premium Member

Cool. So far me its me and my wife for New Years Day certainly. I'll get back to you on New Years Eve.

10. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Excellent - keep me posted... I'll be calling everyone Thursday to confirm.

11. silver x0ne

silver x0ne New Member

Tons of fun, boo to all of you who didn't want to go :)

12. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

NO PIX - just a virtual meet!:joker:

13. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

No, my laptop died and I'm not about to edit and chop a bunch of photos and videos on my netbook :lol:. I'll get them posted up this week. Just a teaser - i have a pretty epic one of me completely failing with the 'ol AR :rofl: Everyone who was there knows what I'm talking about...

14. silver x0ne

silver x0ne New Member

haha! FAIL! :)

15. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Alright, picture time first and vids will follow...

We all arrive in Hico at roughly the same time - about 11AM. We tossed everything in the back of a truck to drive down the shoot site, and I snapped this "truck full of mayhem" shot before we set out:

[​IMG]

We were a lot less organized this year, especially with our picture taking. We got some good videos, but most of the pictures I took were of the newbies. There were other cameras, but I haven't gotten with the other guys to see if they have pulled their pictures yet. Anyway, I used all that bubble-wrap in the back of the truck to build BBG - bubble-wrap bad guy:

[​IMG]

He didn't last long. We filled him up with a few mags pistol and rifle ammo, and then we let the shotgun dogs loose on him and the whole thing was pretty much vaporized (I still really, really want a Saiga 12 :D)...

Speaking of shotguns, here's one someone snapped of me during setup:

[​IMG]

16. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

We also did some horse trading before the shoot. One of my buddies bought my Stag AR-15 from me; here he is standing around looking broke :lol::

[​IMG]

Here's one a snapped of our host before he ripped up the hillside with the MSAR:

[​IMG]

He lives in Japan and only returns once a year, so ya... there's more than just a little pent-up crazy that needs to be unleashed.

This picture is one of our first time attendees checking out the MSAR before sending some lead into the hill:

[​IMG]

17. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

You will have to forgive a couple of the guys for shooting stances and such... I brought a coworker along and it was his first time shooting. I did my best to give him a 5 minute crash-course in how to stand and such, but it seems that was all for naught (you'll know him when you see him). There were probably 3 other guys there with limited-to-no experience on a long gun; we decided to abandon proper stance instruction, etc. and just have a fun afternoon blowing the holy hell out of anything downrange. We'll teach the fundamentals next time :lol:. And on to the shooting:

David letting loose with an AR:
    [​IMG]

AK-guy doing what pinko-commies do:

[​IMG]

My school buddy cracking off his maiden rounds through the new-to-him Stag:

[​IMG]

18. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

A friend of the host showed up and brought some really cool converted Stens, a Saiga, and a host of other cool things. Here he is racking a few off on the suppressed Steyr:

[​IMG]

Another friend with his somewhat-recently-acquired M9A1:

[​IMG]

I'm still waiting for the extractor kits to arrive from Jeff - this guy has had a few FTE issues with some Federal. We ran about 4 other brands of ammo through his pistol w/o issue, but I suspect his problems have more to do with how he is shooting and less to do with the pistol: when silver x0ne, myself, or any of the other more experienced shooters ran his gun, we were able to rush rounds through it w/o any problems, even with the Federal. Who knows? We'll see what happens after I put the extractor kit in it. :shrug:

Same guy running my MSAR:

[​IMG]

It looks like a toy in his hands. :rofl:

19. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Aforementioned coworker shooting the MSAR:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

David, our host, and his pinko-commie buddy swapped guns and tried their damnedest to play a duet with sonic cracks and exploding cartridges:

[​IMG]

The first thing Rusky-guy (rocking the AR in this picture) said after the performance was, "Ya, that's it - my next gun is going to be an AR-15." :)

20. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Yours truly lighting something up downrange with his new(ish) M&P AR-15:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I lifted the Eotech from my old Stag at the end of the shoot - my buddy didn't have optic-cash this trip, but he hopes to next time. I don't know if I'll sell him my 512 and get an Aimpoint, or if I'll just keep my Eotech...

Coworker doing a damned good job demonstrating how not to shoot an AK:

[​IMG]

I have a hilarious video I'll post later of this - he beats the shit out of his shoulder when he fails to embrace the pain (buttstock a good 2" off shoulder).

Because I am a complete asshole, I decided to let him follow that performance with a tube through my Mossberg 590. The shotgun did a pretty great job wrecking his shoulder, and firmly pounding into his brain the stock-to-shoulder imperative.

[​IMG]

He attempted a hip-shot after the shoulder-pounding, and the gun literally jumped out of his hands for a moment (I would kill for a video - it was so funny). It was the last round of the tube and he didn't try to catch it (it just worked out that way), so no worries about him accidentally blowing his face off trying to catch a falling gun.