New Year Shuffle

Discussion in 'Anything Else' started by Buzz, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

With the start of the new year I have done some shuffling with my "arsenal". I sat down and evaluated what I had and what I wanted. I ended up getting rid of:

1. Taurus Judge .45/.410- What was I thinking when I bought it? A neat looking gun that is pretty much limited to snakes. If I wanted to shoot .45LC it wouldn't be The Judge. I ended up getting almost as much as I paid for it due to the demand.

2. Glock 21- I had four Glocks and didn't need five. For a .45 I have the G36, a gun that I love, and if I was to replace the 21 it would be with a 21SF in OD.

3. PX4 Storm in .40 S&W. It's the right gun in the wrong caliber. I may replace it in .45, or not.

4. 3. CX4 Storm in .40 S&W. It's a nice gun but in the wrong caliber. I may replace it in 9mm or .45, or not. It was a choice between the keeping the Storm or getting the UZI, and the classic won out.

Acquired:

1. HK P9S in 9mm (shown below). I had one of these that I sold in the mid 90's and have regretted it since. I finally found the right one. I consider it to be one of the finest semi-autos ever made, if not the best.

2. Vector UZI model B 9mm (shown below). A classic that I've wanted since the first time I saw an UZI many years ago. It's a heavy brute!

3. Mauser K98- another classic.

4. The traded guns also went to contribute to two S&W M&P revolvers from 1918 to 1930 (4" and 6") a four inch Model 19 Combat Magnum (pinned and recessed), a S&W Model 581, and a S&W Model 13-3.

I've always loved trading guns, but I'm done with that. The rest are keepers. I wanted some of the classics which are opportunity guns that you have to act on. The traded guns can be had pretty much any time. I never considered touching any of my Steyrs.

Anyone else shuffle their collection from time to time?

[​IMG]

2. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I've done a bit of shuffling lately, but think everything I've got now are all keepers. Newest is twin for my M357-A1 at left, M9-A1 at right with Hogue "OD Green?" grip. Looks tan to me.
    [​IMG]

Bought Colt Huntsman .22LR...sold it two weeks later for $75 profit and...
    [​IMG]

Used cash to buy S&W Model 21 .44 Special from Colt sale, plus bought CZ75 SP01 Custom with an unexpected bonus of cash from sale of my domain name.
    [​IMG]

Bought S&W 22A-1 with money from sale of S&W 669 9mm, below bottom right...
    [​IMG]

Other "keepers" include Llama IX-C .45 ACP, G29 10mm customized, Kel-Tec PF-9 and Walther P22.
    [​IMG]

The one I wish I'd kept, FEG Hungarian-made Browning Hi-Power clone:
    [​IMG]
    Great shooter, DA/SA trigger. Swapped it for Kel-Tec P-11, then sold P-11 and bought PF-9. All the other FEGs I've seen since have horrible SA triggers. :mrgreen:

3. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Starting in Dec 2006 I went on a pistol binge, after years of only owning two pistols. Well in California going on a pistol binge means buying one new pistol per month! :evil: It all started w/ a Steyr M-A1. :shock:

Acquired:

Steyr M357-A1
    S&W M&P 9mm
    Sig P226 .357 & .40
    HK USP Expert .45
    HK USPf .45/Match,Custom Sport clone
    2 x HK P7M8 #110 & #111
    Sig GSR 1911 "TTT"
    Springfield Armory TRP Operator
    Steyr M9-A1
    Walther P22
    Steyr M357-A1
    S&W 22A-1

Got rid of:

Glock G20C. My brother wanted it, so He got it. If they do a G20SF, I'll buy it.
    Ruger P95DC. Didn't see much range time, low man on the totem.
    Para Nite-Tac P14-45 LDA. Nice, but not really for me.
    Walther P22(getting rid of). S&W 22a-1 shoots circles around it. Too small!

I'm kinda in up-grade mode now. A few of my pistols could use a little up-grade or custom work and the following is planned or underway:

S&W M&P 9mm Very soon is gonna go to "BTC" for a trigger job, tail bob, and Ameriglo "BTC" Operator night sights.

Sig P226 .40 Is on the way to Sig for a "SRT" & "AEP" trigger up-grade
    _______
    mugdava

4. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Hey Mugdava, sounds kinda like my story.....

...When they started getting serious about a lifetime gun ban, I decided it was time to Shiz or get off the pot!!!!

My lil adventure started sometime in NOV 2006, when I stumbled across my first Steyr, an M9.

Then I found a Steyr M9-A1.
    Then I found CDNN...
    Next came an M40-A1,
    Desert Eagle 50 AE
    Baby Eagle 40 S&W
    Walther P22 with AAC Pilot and Green Laser Module
    HK P7M8 MINT [safe queen]
    HK P7 PSP [daily carry]
    NAA Guardian in .32 ACP
    Steyr M40
    Kahr P9
    Kahr E9
    AK-47 Pistol
    Glock 19
    Glock 17 [#2 - carbine project]
    FNH FS2000 [my first rifle :mrgreen: ]
    Steyr S40
    Savage Arms Model 10 Choate
    Steyr S9
    Kel-Tec Sub2000 in Glock 9mm X 2
    Steyr M9 [number two - project :mrgreen: ]
    SKS with a Dragunov Kit
    Steyr M357
    AR-7 Survival Rifle
    Steyr M357-A1
    EAA Witness in .45
    Mossberg 500

and over 12,000 rounds of ammo in house!!!!

Geez, I still feel like I am just getting started....

...still a bunch on my list.... which one next????

:stupid: :stupid:

5. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

It's good to see that others have been acquiring with an eye towards increased regulation. I'm afraid that it's inevitable. When I look at a gun a first question that I ask is whether it will be obtainable down the road. Some guns will be, but there are other guns that the gungrabbers will go after immediately. I put those guns first in my priorities. That's one reason why I snatched up Saigas, a B&T TP-9 and a PLR16.

The really sad thing is that if there is a new weapons ban parts of our collections will quadruple in value (or more). With the last ban I made a boatload of money, but this time that isn't a concern as I have no intention of parting with a single gun. I think these little shuffles for me are more about adjusting. That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see some selling of less "at risk" guns in favor of picking up guns that may well be unobtainium down the road.

With other guns it's different. For example, I just picked up five pre-lock Smith & Wesson revolvers. Other than loving revolvers, and especially Smiths, it was largely because pre-lock Smiths are becoming harder to find with prices begining to rise steeply.

Bottom line is that for me funds aren't unlimited, so some trades here and there become desirable. Selling off guns for the money to use for something else other than guns is one thing (been there, regretably done that) but trading or selling to adjust a collection is another. Of course, the guns dealt now may well come to be the ones whose loss is regretted later.

If you've read this far for your reward here is photo of a late 1920's vintage S&W M&P with new Hogue grips.

Buzz
    [​IMG]

6. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Hey Buzz!

Very nice acquisitions! I wanna hear more about HK P9S 9mm! :notworthy: Many times I've heard HK lovers praise the P9S in either 9mm or 45acp as the best shooting HK ever made. :shock: Sadly I've never even held one, but I'm fairly certain I need one before they become unobtainium. :wink:

Hey Babj!

The disease started w/ a Steyr for the both of Us, and at about the same time. I'd never seen a Steyr M-A1 before, but there one was in a large, full page add on the inside cover of the October/November issue of Handguns magazine. After doing a bit of homework(TY - Steyrclub!), I went to Range Masters of Santa Maria and ordered a M9-A1 sight unseen! Went home went to sleep, blah. Woke thinking I wonder how that Steyr M-A1 would be in 357sig(never held a Steyr and never shot 357sig). So I called up Range Masters and asked if they had ordered my M9-A1 yet. They hadn't, so I asked if I could change my order to a M357-A1 instead of a M9-A1. After checking they said "no problem", and it was on it's way. Then the others followed in the order I listed. :shock:

But enough of that. Tell me more about that Desert Eagle 50AE and the FS2000! :twisted: :notworthy:

It's a little tricky for me here in California, but I bought a Fulton Armory FAR-10 stripped lower and registered it. If(when!) they get listed, I'll have 90 days in which to register the lower(weapon!) as a Assault Weapon or forfeit it. Something to suppliment my M1A SOCOM II and Remington 700's

I'm w/ You on that. While there's money to be made w/ all the hoopla, it's all about getting what You want or what's right for You. I'm in much the same place as You right now, I don't want to sell, but there are a few things left I'd like to acquire(like a P9S or a Desert Eagle in 50AE!).

Please tell me more about this one. That's stunning!
    _______
    mugdava

7. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

It's a S&W .38 special 1905 Hand Ejector 4th Change Military & Police. It was built some time around 1927. It's original finish (around 95%) and is mechanically top notch. The bore is bright with no pits and strong rifling. It looks like it was shot very, very little. I think the gun sat in someone's sock drawer for a lot of years. It came with rubber Pachmyr grips. I paid $200 for it. I added the Hogues, which look to be Pau Ferro.

I stopped in a shop one day to pick up some ammo and there it was. It isn't my suual shop but for used guns they have ahd some gems, including an Ortgies that I picked up. I saw the gun in the case, looked at it, and put it back. I left the shop only to get three miles away and turned around and went back to get it wondering waht i had been thinking passing on it. A day later I went back to get the six inch version (circa 1918 in almost as nice of condition) that was sitting right next to it. That gun is shown below pending new grips which will be the same Hogus except for a square butt.

(Note: I think the gun below was re-blued at some point as the trigger and hammer are blued rather than case hardened)

Buzz

[​IMG]

8. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Netfotoj, is that Model 21 an original or a Classic?

Buzz

9. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Neither. The original stopped production in 1960. Mine is a Model 21-4, the one resurrected when Clint Smith convinced S&W to bring back the model with the special Thunder Ranch Revolver in 2005. The TRR model has a removable rail under the barrel, plus it has the TRR logo and engraving and I'm sure costs a heck of a lot more than the plain-jane one I have. This one was NIB and the gun shop owner said he got in a recent estate sale. I stole it from him for $425! I want some of those Hogue grips like you have. It does buck just a bit.

[​IMG]

Here's the Classic Model 21, with square butt instead of round, that S&W is now offering.
    [​IMG]

10. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Actually, your "plain Jane" with a round butt (I think I may have dated her) appeals to me a lot more than the other ones, and $425 for that was felony theft! I've had an interest in the Model 22 (that one over the 21 more to keep from having to stock another caliber) and would love an older one. I don't know if they made them with round butts, but that would be my preference. Round butts offer more options for grips which can either be smaller or hand-filling.

Buzz

11. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Here's the tail end of my shuffle. It's an HK VP70Z. I had one back in the 80's and it was a mighty fun gun. I know that it's considered to be the dog of the HK world, but it's got a lot going for it. I've always said that if I stumbled across the right one, in person, under $400, I'd buy it. This one was sitting right next to my P9S.

First off, the dreadful trigger can be fixed. What amounts to a 20 bazillion pound pull can be brought down to a 5 lb. long Glock-like pull with a Wolff reduced power striker spring. I think this gun may already have one, but I'll spring for one just the same to make sure. This trigger is already 100% better than my first VP and certainly won;t affect accuracy as I do a lot of DAO shooting.

The gun only has four moving parts. There's a dead minimum to go wrong and realibility is about as good as it comes. For a SHTF gun, truck or home defense gun it is an excellent choice. It has a fixed barrel so accuracy is potentially outstanding with a new striker spring, or, with a stock with practice. On the downside, to make a 9mm blowback design work, they cut the rifling very deep which results in what is estimated to be a 150 fps loss in velocity. It also holds 18 plus one rounds.

My first VP70Z lead to nightmares where I would be pulling the trigger to save my life and it would never break, but this one with some work (or even as it is) will be sweet dreams. The "Volkspistole" was the very first production polymer gun, and the 18 round mag gives the gungrabbers fits, so there is value in that alone :twisted:

Buzz

[​IMG]

12. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

When Clint Smith talked S&W into reviving the Model 21, the N-frame models had been changed to round butts vs. the original square-butt frame, so the Thunder Ranch Revolver and the Model 21-4 "Plain Jane" both have round butts. For the Classic Model 21, they brought back the square-butt frame. Those Classic grips look way too skinny for a powerful round like .44 Special. Mine bites just a bit so I've ordered some Pachmayr rubber grips for it. It's my first adventure with .44 Special but I think I'm going to love it. Already do. I was looking for a .38 Special when I found it and I figured .44 beats .38. :mrgreen: