New with a M40-A1 .... questions

Discussion in 'New Member Check-In' started by alex, Sep 12, 2007.

1. alex

alex Guest

Hi,
    I am new to Steyr M40-A1 but not new in shooting sport. I have been in this sport for 30 years and have many different type of actions. I can't quite figure out what exactly the type of action this Steyr has. My understanding was a traditional double action revolver or pistol allows you to pull the trigger all the way through to cock and fire the gun in one continuous motion. Or you can cock the gun first then pull the trigger to fire it. Single action revolver or pistol can only fire after you cock the hammer or striker first then pull the trigger. Double action only pistol can only be fired by one continuous pull of the trigger all the way through and its hammer or striker stay "down" after the gun discharges, and can't be cocked by the rearward motion of the slide or your thumb.
    Question 1:
    The M40-A1's action doesn't seem to agree with traditional or double action only type configurations. I can't pull the trigger all the way through to fire the gun. The gun must first be "cocked" by moving the slide at least half an inch rearward to set or reset the trigger. If I have a bad primer I can't strike it the second time just by pulling the trigger again. I need to work the slide carefully rearward for half an inch to "re-cock" in order to try firing again on the bad round. It almost seems as the M40-A1 is a single action action pistol. Each time the slide goes reaward the striker is cocked. Pulling the trigger release the striker to fire the gun. The rearward motion of the slide resets the trigger and cocks the striker. If this is true as long as there is a round in the chamber the gun is "cocked". I don't see how one can "decock" the striker to put the gun in the safest possible standby.
    Question 2:
    If there a plug available for this pistol to close off the hole on the bottom of the grip?
    Question 3:
    The design of the magazine follower makes it quite difficult to load the first round. I have several HKS magazine speedloaders for my other pistols but none fits the Steyr magazine. Is there one that works with Steyr magazine?
    Question 4:
    Being spoiled by the fine single action triggers on my 1911 pistols the Steyr trigger in comparsion is very heavy and long. I found that if I do deliberate slow fire by holding the trigger and slowly pressing it to fire the pad of my firing finger hurt from just 20 or rounds. If I do a quick sweeping motion of the trigger finger then my finger doesn't hurt as much. How do you pull the trigger ?
    Many questions and many thanks to you ideas.

2. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

The striker is partially cocked, so the trigger pull completes the cocking and therefore gets under the wire to qualify as a double action.
    There used to be a plug, but they have not been available for a while. Glock plugs don't fit well.
    A bunch here http://www.nextag.com/magazine-loader/search-html like UpLULA and Uncle Mikes Law Enforcement LULA Loader. It is a minor pet peeve of mine that a cheap thumb saver doesn't come with the gun and you may have to pay upwards of $30 for one.
    My M9 has the best non-single action trigger I have ever shot out of the box. Some people here have had heavy triggers. Cleaning and use should free it up.

3. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

I just use my factory Glock Mag Loaders... they work VERY well... and are relatively inexpensive to procure!!!! [usually under 10 bucks]

:wink: :wink:

4. alex

alex Guest

Please provide the model number for your magazine speedloader that works with Steyr magazine.
    Thank you

5. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I had a HKS speedloader for the longest time that worked just fine, but I ended up giving it away to an older friend who had trouble loading his mags. The UpLULA is definitely the way to go if you need a loader.

I believe the grip plugs offered through the club only worked with the original M's, not the A1's (though I'm not sure why?). The gap is there for the attachment of an optional stock and I have never heard of any issues originating from that gap that led to a malfunction or troubles of any type. In short, don't worry about it. :)

You've definitely been spoiled by the 1911's - the Steyr M-A1's have a much better trigger pull than almost any other polymer gun on the market (YMMV, of course).

6. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Here is a great source.... when they have 'em in stock.... They get new stock weekly, so keep checking, or call them....

:wink: :wink:

7. jackpilot

jackpilot Guest

Hop on eBay and search for "GLOCK MAGAZINE SPEED LOADER". They're about $5 - 7 with shipping.

8. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I got this HKS 940 from cheaperthandirt.com. Works great on my M357-A1 magazines, same size at .40s, and also fits my 9mm S&W mags, too. Saves a world of work for my poor, sore thumbs on new mags. And cheap, too, $9.

https://steyrclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=22579#22579

[​IMG]

Been looking for an UpLULA, as Syntax says, supposed to be the best. But everytime I find one on a site, it's always sold out, backorder, et c. I hate to wait on a backorder, so I don't. Midway promised to notify me when their next shipment gets in stock. Must be so good they sell like hotcakes.

9. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Glock magazine loaders in stock here NOW!!!!!

10. alex

alex Guest

Thank you for the model number. I ordered one this morning. My 40 to 9mm conversion kit will arrive today and I will test drive them this Sunday.