New Toys....

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by CGuns, Jan 15, 2006.

1. CGuns

CGuns New Member

I recently acquired a milled receiver AK from Arsenal that has a Steyr Hammer Forged barrel. The accuracy is amazing, using the poor, short radius standard AK sights. Furthermore, I believe ammo quality really hinders the accuracy of 7.62x39 AK's.
    In order to get the Steyr barrel, I had to select a model with a thumbhole stock.

My parts shipment just got into the U.S. from South Africa. I bought South African R4/R5 rifle parts. (South African Galil Copy, but even more robust than the Israeli model.)
    Parts included:
    Tritium Flip up night sights, front and rear
    Dust Cover with top mounted rear sight
    New front sight assembly
    Nylon folding stock, plus all components

Now I need to get it all installed!

I am shooting tomorrow, so I will be bringing this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. madecov

madecov Active Member

Steyr barrels are really nice.
    My FAL (kit gun) is an STG (Steyr). and is very very nice.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

:::DROOOOOOL!!!::: Holy cow CGuns, nice arsenal you have there!

~Rick

4. ministerofdeath

ministerofdeath New Member

Nice AUG...you lucky SOB. :D :D :D

If ya don't mind me asking what did you pay for the Steyr AUG and how long ago did ya get it?

5. CGuns

CGuns New Member

Agreed.

I think they build the best production barrels. In this Arsenal AK, it is also hammer-forged. I am very pleased with it and the accuracy.

6. CGuns

CGuns New Member

My stockpile of 7.62x39 Steel Core was added to this past weekend.
    [​IMG]

7. CGuns

CGuns New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did not get around to doing the formal testing like what I wanted, but will do so on Saturday.
    This will give you some time to come up with interesting things for me to try.

We made some 304 Stainless Steel targets and stands. They are 1/2" thick.
    We tested them with the following ammo for penetration on 1/2" thick steel plates and got the following results. Next saturday, I will use my digital Mitutoyo calipers to give penetration depth measurements...

NOTE: Stainless Steel plates and target stand were brand new, never fired on prior to this test!

7.62x39
    -Russian Wolf FMJ, 123 grain- Did not penetrate 304 Stainless Plate. Penetrated a bit less than 3/16". This has a lead core.
    -Jordanian Steel Core, Armor Piercing- Did not penetrate 304 Stainless Plate. Dented the rear of the plate and created a serious bulge. Penetration depth was over 1/4".
    Conclusion- Armor Piercing ammo does penetrate better than lead core ammo, despite others observations and posts online. While there is not a tremendous variance between the two, the armor piercing Jordanian steel core did penetrate BETTER. My next test will involve Yugoslavian M67 ammo, brass cased. I will also test Chinese Norinco Steel Core versus the Jordanian Steel Core.

-Malaysian 55grain FMJ- This round penetrated almost the entire thickness of the 1/2" steel plate. It penetrated MORE than the 7.62x39 rounds tested above. This was impressive, but expected, because of the increased velocity.
    -Armor Piercing SWAT ammo, gotta talk to my buddy about what it was...It had a strange black case. He had some from SWAT as he is a SWAT team member. This round nearly cleared the entire thickness of the 1/2" steel plate. It penetrated more than the 55 grain FMJ. Easily 3/8". Very impressive.
    Shot using a Colt Defense M4 and an original Armalite AR-180.

-Winchester .308 FMJ
    Blew Huge Holes Through The Plates. What Did You Expect? .308- There is no such thing as cover.
    Fired from a 18" Belgian Para FAL (!) All original (!).

12 Gauge Slug- I used my S-12 and shot a 2/34" 1 oz Slug from the Winchester Super X series at the plate. It hit the plate and made a huge, shallow crater. Not a lot of penetration but a nasty, wide crater.

Also tested 2 Saiga-12's. My buddy brought one and I brought mine.
    Both started life as 22" Full Choke S-12's.
    I machined my barrel down to 19.5". (All machining done in metric, as the barrel is 580mm long. If you want specs, I can provide them).
    My buddy has not shortened his barrel. There was much more recoil with the non-modified S-12. I found this very interesting. This is the fastest Semi-Auto 12 gauge action in the world.

[​IMG]

8. CGuns

CGuns New Member

The Microwave that visited the firing squad. I have video.
    On the count of 3, I opened up with the Belgian FAL from the prone position, using the bipod. The S-12 with my buddy at the trigger opened up with 00, #4 and Slug. Look at the Slug entrance and exit holes. They are huge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EXIT WOUNDS
    [​IMG]

9. CGuns

CGuns New Member

I wonder who and WHAT launched this....Hmmmm....

[​IMG]