New to the group

Discussion in 'New Member Check-In' started by fnewendaiku, Sep 18, 2007.

1. fnewendaiku

fnewendaiku Guest

Hi everyone!
    I'm new to posting here at Steyrclub, but been reading for quite a while. I'll be happy to report that the first gun that I've purchased for myself was the M357-A1. A friend of mine resigned from the Texas State Troopers and had a lot of spare 357sig laying around and he knew I was looking for a gun. I was thinking of getting the M9, but the surplus of ammo turned my decision to the sig load. Been taking it to a few ranges and uncle's ranch. Pretty fun to shoot (especially in the evenings when muzzle flash is visible).

In any case, I just wanted to say hi to everyone and am looking forward to talking to you all.

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Welcome to the club! Mind telling us where you got you M357A1 from? Those things are highly sought after and I'm sure other members would appreciate a lead in finding one...

3. NicoX

NicoX New Member

Congratulations to U.
    Then put some pics of that beauty! :D

4. fnewendaiku

fnewendaiku Guest

I'll post some pics tonight when I get home from work.
    I was lucky enough to find it on gunbroker.com. Paid about 400 for it in March of last year. Now just have to source some good priced ammo.

One question, I just emailed SAI asking if they sell a drop in .40 cal barrel, or would I have to buy a slide and barrel from them. Jack said that I could get a drop in barrel from http://www.impulsegunbarrels.com. Anyone know of them?

I have a holster question, but I'll put that where it belongs...

5. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

impulsebarrels.com is IGB Austria's page. There are boatloads of threads about this company and their products - a simple search should yield many results.

6. TheGuyver

TheGuyver New Member

Yes, more commonly refered to as just IGB, they are quality barrels, amoung other products.

7. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

If the police come knocking on your door, don't be surprised. They'll be there to arrest you for highway robbery because you got such a great deal on such a highly sought-after pistol, the current crown jewel of Steyr MA1s.

I paid $500, plus shipping and FFL transfer fee for mine in December 2006 and haven't heard of one any cheaper. Until now.

As for ammo, Wally World usually stocks Winchester White Box in 357 Sig, both FMJs and HPs, best price I've found but it keeps going up. About $20 for 50 rounds currently. But shooting is so much fun I figure it's well worth it.

Congrats, enjoy your shooting and post some pics and a range report ASAHP. :mrgreen:

8. squirrelpotpie

squirrelpotpie Premium Member

Hi Fnewendaiku,

If you are interested in a drop in .40barrel for your .357 you might consider the clearance conversion kits available through CDNN.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/st40coki1mag.html

you'll get a Steyr M40 slide, magazine, barrel, guide rod & spring for less than the cost of a drop in barrel alone from IGB.

also, last i heard MDW still had a drop in 6" barrel in .40 available.

http://www.mdwguns.com/current_special.htm

happy hunting,

9. rlwood29

rlwood29 Guest

Squirrelpotpie (or any others), have you tried this conversion kit? I believe I saw somewhere that the gun was build for 40 S&W so they all work off the same frame but is really as good as having the M40 A1. Also, if it is, could you get a 357 Sig barrel at some point and have three guns in one with nothing more then changing barrels and slides? No springs or anything? Sounds too good to be true, or is something more like yes it works but not like having the true pistol in that caliber.

10. squirrelpotpie

Hi rlwood29,

here is a recent thread that addresses some of your questions.

https://steyrclub.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... conversion

the gist of it is that going from .40 to .357 or .357 to .40 just requires a new barrel, going from .40/.357 to 9mm or vice versa also requires a slide and bending the magazine feed lips to accommodate the different cartridge size. (yeah, you're better off investin a few bucks in extra mags)

unfortunately, although the Steyr M & S pistols are highly modular and allow component swapping the .357 barrels are rather scarce.

11. fnewendaiku

fnewendaiku Guest

Thanks alot! I missed that one... I'll look into the kit. 6" is a bit more than I'd like for the gun. Seems a bit big for it, wouldn't you agree? Now since I got my internet working again, I'll snap a few pictures and post.

12. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Kinda big for a holster, but it shoots a neat little pattern at 25 yards and the longer pipe makes for some hotter 40's! :twisted:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a240/ ... 1_0489.jpg
    _______
    mugdava

13. fnewendaiku

fnewendaiku Guest

Well, after about two hours of telling the tech support guy what to do with my internet connection, I finally stabailized my connection. Here are some of my pictures of my m357.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not too impressive, but what can you do with a little point and shoot cam?

14. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

That thing is sweet!!! I'm jealous :D

15. squirrelpotpie

nice pix

i see you've got the older M357 slide on the new A1 chassis,
    which nicely illustrates the interchangeability of parts on these fine pistols. congrats.

addendum
    - looks like the serial numbers on the top & bottom match, so it must have come that way from the factory.

oh and thanks for the 6" .40 barrel picture & report, mugdava
    am strongly considering following your lead when funds permit.

16. rlwood29

rlwood29 Guest

Well I just ordered my conversion kit from CDNN (9mm to 40 S&W). I hope it works out. I will let you folks know when I get a chance to try it out. Thanks for the info here.

17. fnewendaiku

fnewendaiku Guest

I thought the exact same thing when I got it, but noted the matching serials. It has a weird striking pattern on brass. I might have to show you what i'm talking about later on when I have a spent brass.

18. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Called CDNN today in hopes of snagging one of their 9mm conversion kits for my M357-A1. Sorry sold out.

Only .40 kits left and only a few of those. He who hesitates is lost. Also he who's slow to rake up cash, like me. :mrgreen:

19. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

I noticed that over the weekend!! Won't be to long till all the Steyr handgun stuff is GONE :cry: