Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i've never owned a pistol. basically, just as a background, i wanted to get into pistols, but i had a unique problem. i have smaller hands. so, on many full size models, its very difficult for me to reach the magazine releases. This especially annoys me, because here in Hawaii, we cant have pistol mags over 10 rounds, so double stack mags and the wide grips that accommodate them serve no purpose here.

so while searching around, all of the thinner pistols i could find were were carry pieces, which i didnt want, because i cant carry legally in hawaii anyways, and i wanted a gun i could take to the range and fire all day with, so i wanted a heavier pistol. a friend pointed me here, and it appears the M9-A1 fits all my wants: not super light, thinner grips, and reliable. so i just had a few questions.

are there any ammo types to avoid?

how heavy is the trigger pull?
doeas anyone know the exact circumference of the grip so i can possibly compare it to something else, since there are none in Hawaii for me to handle in person?

There are no Steyr Dealers in hawaii. how would i go about ordering a NEW pistol and getting it over here? as in, what stores/people could i contact to get this deal done?

and Lastly, since this would mainly be a range gun, any idea when and how the L9A1 will be on release? and if it will take the standard M series magazines?

thanks guys. any other opinions you have on my situation are appreciated as well.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Welcome to the SteyrClub!

Since many of our members have smaller hands - not everyone has the kind of catchersmitts that my cousin does - nor do most of our wives, I can say with near certainty that you will love the Steyr grip. When you look at the pictures of the Steyr, note how the grip is scooped in at the back up at the top. That's one of the things that makes the gun easy to manipulate.

Call SteyrArms and talk to them, explain your concerns and they'll work with you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you've never handled a S9-A1 you should. The MOST ergonomic pistol I own.
yeah, i really want to. i wouldnt have even known about it except for a friend all the way in maryland, because not a single shop on the island has them. i can find any variant of 1911, glock, sig or S&W, but no Steyrs.

i likely wont be purchasing til summer. im visiting cali in the summer, are these on the DOJ list there? maybe i can handle one in cali?

·
Premium Member
5,073 Posts
The small grip on Steyr pistols should make it an excellent choice for you. I'm struggling to think of any more common pistol it is similar to - even guns like the M&P have fatter grips.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Aloha or is it mahalo? I always get those mixed up. Welcome to the club.

I got small hands myself, but I'm a lefty shooter so mag release I use with my trigger finger. I find the 1911 to work well with most smaller hand shooters.

Find a local ffl who will work with you and they can order it for you.

I don't have an m9c, but I have a c9, my trigger pull is no heavier than my glock 19 gen3..so I'm guessing around 5-6lbs or so, but I never measured it.

No idea on measurement, but my c9 fits my wifes hands fine and she can hit all the controls. Hope that helps?

No issues on ammo brands yet, but I haven't shot them all through it yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aloha or is it mahalo? I always get those mixed up. Welcome to the club.

I got small hands myself, but I'm a lefty shooter so mag release I use with my trigger finger. I find the 1911 to work well with most smaller hand shooters.

Find a local ffl who will work with you and they can order it for you.

I don't have an m9c, but I have a c9, my trigger pull is no heavier than my glock 19 gen3..so I'm guessing around 5-6lbs or so, but I never measured it.

No idea on measurement, but my c9 fits my wifes hands fine and she can hit all the controls. Hope that helps?

No issues on ammo brands yet, but I haven't shot them all through it yet.
haha, aloha is hello/goodbye/love, depending on the context, and Mahalo means "thank you".

yeah, i guess that helps. while i've never shot any pistols ( i will soon, Hawaii requires you to take a live fire class to obtain a pistol permit) i used to have a 1911 in airsoft and that mag release was just a little hard to reach. so that's why i was looking for something smaller.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I also have small hands and I own an S9-A1. It fits perfectly in the hand and is only second to the Walther PPQ (with the smallest backstrap) in terms of ergonomics. Also since it has a 10 round capacity it would be appropriate for your location. Keep in mind though, they are prone to have extractor problems so if you are new to pistols that should be something you may have to learn to fix.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also have small hands and I own an S9-A1. It fits perfectly in the hand and is only second to the Walther PPQ (with the smallest backstrap) in terms of ergonomics. Also since it has a 10 round capacity it would be appropriate for your location. Keep in mind though, they are prone to have extractor problems so if you are new to pistols that should be something you may have to learn to fix.
i thought about that, saw a lot of things online about them, but i also heard that Steyr has awesome customer service, and some stuff about using a 1911 spring?

im not terribly worried about it. if it comes, i can figure it out. it will be a learning experience.

that said, thanks for getting me to get into contact with Steyr. i didnt call, but emailed, and got a nice personal response from some guy named Jeff. i had no idea that any gunshop could order from them without being steyr dealers, because other companies just simply wont ship here due to things like that.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have what I consider somewhat small hands - same size as my wife, which she thinks is great since the guns I buy for myself are comfortable for her - and the M9-A1 has worked great for me. For a range gun, comfort should be a high priority, since you won't enjoy shooting an uncomfortable gun. Frankly, I think that a lot of people with carry permits choose the wrong gun, as most folks seem to buy the smallest gun they can and despise shooting it, thus having very little experience with a weapon they hope can save their life. In your case, since carrying isn't a factor, you should have no trouble finding a gun that is not only a good fit for your hand, but also big enough to provide a more pleasant shooting experience (more accurate, less recoil) than a small gun.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nice to see someone else from Hawaii here! I've been looking to acquire an M9-A1 and just recently decided to pick one up; I am anxiously awaiting its delivery :drool:. As others have mentioned in this thread, you can purchase a pistol from an online retailer or private seller and have them send it to a local shop (or individual) that has an FFL and is willing to handle the transfer for you. This shouldn't be too difficult depending on what island you are on. I'm on Maui, and I know of at least four FFL holders that will handle a transfer for a fee ranging from $10-$30.

I'm a woman with smaller hands, and permanent nerve damage in my dominant hand that makes holding (retaining) a pistol a challenge especially if it has significant recoil. I currently have a Sig Sauer P229 9MM with a Hogue grip on it, and a Walther P99AS .40S&W with a limbsaver grip on it and I have no problems firing, or retaining either weapon even with my damaged hand though it took a LOT of practice at the range and dry-fire drills a-plenty to mitigate my limitations. With the Walther, the limbsaver grip helps with the recoil while not adding much in the way of girth to the grip (Walthers in general are good for shooters with small hands as far as that goes). Another possible plus for the Walther is the type/location of the magazine release - a lever release located along side the triggerguard a feature shared by HK weapons.

Aloha from Maui :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have what I consider somewhat small hands - same size as my wife, which she thinks is great since the guns I buy for myself are comfortable for her - and the M9-A1 has worked great for me. For a range gun, comfort should be a high priority, since you won't enjoy shooting an uncomfortable gun. Frankly, I think that a lot of people with carry permits choose the wrong gun, as most folks seem to buy the smallest gun they can and despise shooting it, thus having very little experience with a weapon they hope can save their life. In your case, since carrying isn't a factor, you should have no trouble finding a gun that is not only a good fit for your hand, but also big enough to provide a more pleasant shooting experience (more accurate, less recoil) than a small gun.

hopefully, i will soon count carrying as a factor. we're in the appeals circuit challenging the laws as unconstitutional, and the Chicago ruling gives us hope.

any any case, glad to see another Hawaii shooter! there are too few of us in this state!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts