Steyr Club Forums banner
2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  atdrennen 
#1 ·
I recently picked up a used m40-a1 off gbroker. During my first trip to the range I had multiple issues, but we'll see if the new parts fix it.

My current question:
With a full 12rd magazine, it is difficult to rack the first round. I read a similar thread, and it ended with the gun needing breaking in. Since mine is used, I don't know if this is the case. What's unusual, is that when it does grab the first round, there are two visible lines running the partial length of the round. The 'scars' start on the bullet itself, nick the front of case and continue on an 1/8th inch or so. Occurred with several types of ammo. If the top of the mag has gotten flared, could the round be sitting high and catching on something it shouldn't?

I'm going to post pictures later, as I also have tear drop shaped primer strikes, failure to extract, fail to hold open after last round (may be mag spring issue) and slide doesn't fully return to battery under spring power alone. I've got parts coming from SAI and a new rod and bushings from BT. We'll see, and sorry for the long post. Thank you

#2 ·
You may want to look at various posts here regarding having the wrong follower in the mag. The 9mm follower would cause the cartridge to sit higher in the feed lips and press more on the slide. There are pictures which will show you what a 40 follower in a 9mm mag looks like, but I'm not sure there are any of the reverse. In any case, you can see that the 9mm follower will move the cartridge toward the center line of the mag and higher.

#3 ·
Not sure about your magazine issues, but if you will look at my thread http://www.steyrclub.com/vb/threads/8873-S40-A1-Break-In it sounds like your gun is fairly new. I had all the FTF issues you described until I blew 100+ rounds through it. The last 50 of 200 went smooth. I think these guns are built so tight that this might be normal.
I was thinking after the fact and looking at my hand hold, I tend to let my support thumb ride the slide, and that extra friction may be enough to stop the slide from going fully into battery.

Keep us posted.

#4 ·
Not a long post, but a good solid one. Welcome to our forum :) Thanks for joining us.

Your issues are common in Steyrs that have issues. The guns are built tight in certain places. The two lines are from the bottom of your slide, you can see the lines clearly come from the two protruding pieces leading towards your bolt face.

FTE's are common in Steyrs that have issues. Some are fixed with 1911 spring and plungers. Since then, Steyr has come out with new extractors and plungers, and sometimes this fixes the problems. It did not for me. For me, breaking the gun in fixed the problem. Till then, I accidentally annoyed certain people on the forum by posting my FTE issues more than once. Break in your gun. Used guns doesn't mean they are broken in. 90% of used plastic pistols I have used hadn't been broken in. Mostly LE Glocks, Steyrs, CZ's.

Tear drop shaped primer strikes is also common and not unusual. It will happen.

So the issue you really have is the FTE and hard to feed first round, the latter which I think will fix itself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.