New to me Steyr Daimler Puch Mannlicher Model M

Discussion in 'Other Rifles' started by mariog, Oct 27, 2007.

1. mariog

mariog Guest

This is my first Steyr. Full stock to end of barrel, five round rotary magazine, like new condition (90-95%). Bore is like a mirror with rifling!
    Seller says 1950's vintage. I am not sure, as a Mannlicher Collectors Assoc member thought 1970's. I have sent to the NRA for information. Not sure they could make plastic that good in the 1950's. The rotary magazine and trigger guard are plastic. The trigger guard is more like a nylon.

Anyone in this forum knowledgable about these European hunting rifles?

Here is a link to the former owners ad with photos:

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve ... /683109247

My FFL wanted to buy it from me when he got it in. A new owner likes to hear that.

I need a 3/4 inch wide leather sling for this. If anyone has Austrian connections.....

I will be in Munich in February for a couple of days, so I may just look up gun shops there.

Thanks,
    Mario

2. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Does it look anything like this model?

http://www.steyrarms.com/index.php?id=158

[​IMG]

This is the U.S. importer's site for Steyr Arms. Give them a call and I'm sure they can help you with anything you need.

STEYR ARMS, INC.
    P.O.Box 2609
    Cumming, GA 30028
    USA

Email: [email protected]

Phone: (770) 888-4201
    Fax: (770) 888-4863

3. mariog

mariog Guest

Thanks for the info. My rifle looks like that one, but there were improvements at different times from what I have read.
    I will drop Steyr an email with the serial number, and ask for a date of manufacture.

Your help is appreciated.

PS Got down to one handgun, a Sig P226 Elite with 40sw, 357sig, and 9mm barrels. 357sig shoots very flat. Awesome round.

4. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

My avatar makes my feeling about 357 Sig very clear. Awesome indeed. Some say it's over-rated, same as 9mm +P++ or something like that. Mebbe so, mebbe not. I'll take my 357 Sig without any P's added. If you look at the ballistic tables and look not only at fps at the muzzle but also at 50 yards and even 100 yards, the advantage really begins to show. Now I doubt if I will ever have the need to shoot my 357 Sig beyond 50 yards, but if I need to...

Only round that outranks it, for auto pistols less than wheelgun size, is 10mm. Now if I ever fulfill my plans and get a G20, one of my first acquisitions after that will be a 9x25mm barrel. Here's some stats on 9x25 vs. 10mm.

Only question after that is whether to get a 6" or 18" 9x25 barrel or go for the 16" 10mm barrel, add a buttstock and foregrip and you've got an awesome carbine in either caliber, like so:

[​IMG]

My apologies for getting so far afield from your topic, but I get carried away with my "Baddest Pistol" plans. :mrgreen:

5. mariog

mariog Guest

Steyr Daimler Puch Mannlicher info

Found out my rifle was proofed in March 1970, so it was probably built around then also.
    CDNN has extra mags, on sale even, so I ordered one. The former owner also advised me that New England Custom Gun in Plainfield NH has 7/8 inch wide European slings.
    This rifle is so pretty I just can't see bringing it into the woods hunting. It will be a range queen.
    I just got a crazy deal at the local Dick's on a Remington 700 300 wsm with fairly nice walnut. The final price after a big markdown, and some coupons, was $320. Marked down from $520. That will be my hunting gun. I don't think Dick's sold a lot of this caliber. They don't evne stock that size ammo.