Steyr Club Forums banner
2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Okie67 
#1 ·
Hi from Texas.
Took the M40 out back yesterday and I am impressed!
(Like sampling a fine wine for the first time)

#2 ·
Glad you like it!

Welcome to Steyr Club also!

How many rounds did you let it gobble up?

#3 ·
I have ran about 3 full mags now. and 2 FTF in the middle of the mag about 6 rounds (The newness has worn off!!) It being a used gun I decided to give it a good cleaning and found some brass shavings and a lot of crud in the firing pen channel..
When putting it back together all went fine until I started to reinstall the back plate needless to say the retainer spring went AWOL!! I will try to contact Steyr Monday for a replacement spring (glad I found the locking Teat..
Steyr lesson #1 All removal /Installations from now on will take place in a clear plastic bag.

#4 ·
I have ran about 3 full mags now. and 2 FTF in the middle of the mag about 6 rounds (The newness has worn off!!) It being a used gun I decided to give it a good cleaning and found some brass shavings and a lot of crud in the firing pen channel..
When putting it back together all went fine until I started to reinstall the back plate needless to say the retainer spring went AWOL!! I will try to contact Steyr Monday for a replacement spring (glad I found the locking Teat..
Steyr lesson #1 All removal /Installations from now on will take place in a clear plastic bag.
That will sure do it!

Gotta keep your finger over the back part to keep it from popping out.
Just a good tip for ya there.

I'm glad I cleaned my firing pin channel out as well last time I really tore it down. I found brass shavings and all sorts of crap in there.

Are you having FTE's or FTF's?

If you were having failure to fire from light primer strikes, the shavings could have been your issue.

#5 ·
hooray!! Found the spring got the gun back together.

I did not experience any light primer strikes just FTF right in the middle of the mag after ejecting the cartridge the next round and the rest of the mag would run fine until the gun went into battery.

What exactly do the BT spring cups do to enhance reliability? Do they compress the firing spring to give it more power or
force the firing pin/spring to become more rigid as a unit aiding in its linear motion.

While apart I gave the gun another round of cleaning and sprayed out the firing assembly lubed it back up and dry fired it about 50 times (I also found out that it will fire with the breech open partly. Scary for a 40S&W).
I will take it out tomorrow and find out if this cleaning helped at all.

#6 ·
The BT Guides keep the spring from dragging and binding on the guide rod. The metal ring with the slot in it would drag along the guide rod due to burrs on it. Even deburred, the friction was greater than that of the Delrin cups, ergo, a better trigger feel. The binding is in the first part of the stroke as the spring spins slightly during compression. That also goes away, since that part of the spring is supported against the guide rod by the cup.

If you've seen the BT document on the FCG, then you know that the striker moving in the striker channel is pretty well fixed in place. The reason for the roll pin and bearing, is that the sear catch node (the bump on the bottom of the striker that rides in the striker channel) puts an upward force on the striker prior to release. By putting the bearing where it is, the friction just before the break is reduced and a smoother feel is the result.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.