Steyr Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm trying to figure out the best way to care for my S9-A1. I just out about 300 rounds through it yesterday after buying it used.

I've never had to care for a gun before, and want to make sure I keep it in great shooting condition. I had a few questions I'm hoping you all can help me with.

1. How often/when should I clean it?
2. Any suggestions on a decent cleaning kit?
3. How much oil should I use after cleaning?
4. Why the hell don't more people shoot Steyrs? Mine put my buddy's Glock and Sig to shame. He's looking to buy a Steyr now, and hadn't even heard of them before.

·
Premium Member
5,073 Posts
Clean it after you shoot it. I believe MPro7 makes an excellent kit. You want a thin coat of oil on all metal surfaces, but you don't want it oozing. You'll figure out how much is enough after a few cleanings.

Steyr has a very checkered past in this country, and our forum is littered with complaints about reliability. There isn't much of an aftermarket for our guns, so that drives away a lot of would-be owners too.

·
Registered
71 Posts

Polymer guns are made for abuse and combat. We, Americans, clean our guns too often and sometimes damage them in the process. In the precision rifle game, the common quote is .... "more barrels have been ruined by cleaning than shooting." I've heard of guns that have never been cleaned and that shot great and without fail. Then a new owner cleans them and they become a peice of junk

I clean my pistols every 1K to 2K rounds or if I'm in a wet environment. My suggestion is to clean it whenever it makes you happy. Cleaning guns is part of the fun of gun ownership, even if its not necessary.

PS- this lack of cleaning recommendation doesn't apply to 1911 pistols which should be cleaned and oiled hourly.

The cool kids are now using Frog Lube and its getting good reviews for corrosion protection.

I've been cleaning with NON-Chlorinated brake cleaner (use NON, which doesn't dissolve plastic) and then using high temp bearing grease or Mobil 1 oil. My AR and GLOCK runs great with the grease.

Cleaning and lubing are often discussed on the Internet with no end to the debate. Use what makes you happy. Its all good.

Just enough so you see a shimmer but not much more. To much oil or grease collects dirt into little balls of abrasive goo and that messes up the operation of the gun. You just need enough for some slippery surfaces.

4. Why the hell don't more people shoot Steyrs?

For me, my hesitance has been the absence of aftermarket products. Steyr has 1% of the aftermaket products that exist for GLOCKS.

After shooting my L9, I now know why there is an absence.... there isn't a need to replace the parts, it works great out of the box. I'll bet in a year or two years Steyr will be the gun of choice for many competitive shooters who shoot manufactured ammo, in particular the L9. The lack of reduced power springs will limit the attractiveness of the pistol to reloaders.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hi guys, I'm trying to figure out the best way to care for my S9-A1. I just out about 300 rounds through it yesterday after buying it used.

I've never had to care for a gun before, and want to make sure I keep it in great shooting condition. I had a few questions I'm hoping you all can help me with.

4. Why the hell don't more people shoot Steyrs? Mine put my buddy's Glock and Sig to shame. He's looking to buy a Steyr now, and hadn't even heard of them before.
Clean it every time you shoot it, even if it's just a wipe-down.
VERY little oil. I'm talking just a toothpick drop on the mating surfaces. A good semi should run perfectly almost dry. In fact, excess oil can trap dirt and debris and cause failures.
Steyrs are not well advertised. A few years ago, they ran into some import problems and stopped bringing them into the USA. they are excellent guns with almost perfect ergonomics and one of the lowest recoils I've ever encountered due to the extremely low bore axis. Nothing really special about them unless you count the fast acquisition combat trap sights, just a good, reliable, accurate weapon. I guess that IS special, though. I carried an S40 for about two years. I'd trust my life to a Steyr.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Clean it every time you shoot it, even if it's just a wipe-down.
VERY little oil. I'm talking just a toothpick drop on the mating surfaces. A good semi should run perfectly almost dry. In fact, excess oil can trap dirt and debris and cause failures.
Steyrs are not well advertised. A few years ago, they ran into some import problems and stopped bringing them into the USA. they are excellent guns with almost perfect ergonomics and one of the lowest recoils I've ever encountered due to the extremely low bore axis. Nothing really special about them unless you count the fast acquisition combat trap sights, just a good, reliable, accurate weapon. I guess that IS special, though. I carried an S40 for about two years. I'd trust my life to a Steyr.
True this, I am beginning my love affair with the S40-A1, although it is the same physical size as my Glock G30SF it has a much better feel to it grip wise and holds 1 more round than the G30sf with the low rnd. concealable 9 round mags. Ahh. diversity is the spice of life and at age 60 I want it all NOW. I will be satisfied when I lay down for the last night on this earth knowing that I tried every new handgun on the face of this earth. (And loved it too!) And had a heck of a good time too! jb

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.