Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just signed up after owning an s9 for a while now. Been shooting it and have had MANY FTE's, stovepipes and FTF's. I thought it was just a matter of time and breakin period. Today I went to the range and shot out of 1 of the original 10 rounders and used (3) 17 rounders, two of which are new. This outing produced more of the same and even worse a new problem. Slide failed to lock after final round several times. SMH. I have been using this weapon as my CW and this is making me lose confidence quickly.

The problems seem to happen after the gun warms up from a few rounds. I plan on going back and taking notes on the mags and ammo used. Never really documented results before but after doing some research tonight I will try to pin point the problem with some info & tips I read here.

Labeling the mags and figuring out if this slide lock issue is a mag problem. I'll check the springs and what kind are in there. I will do more research but this is not good. I have shot a good 400-550 rounds, possibly a little bit more. I shot the first JHP through it today also.

Before I finish this post I would add that I REALLY LIKE this gun. The ergo on it, is amazing. Seriously it just feels great and the sights really help me get on target quickly and very accurately. Trigger is smooth as a babies booty. That said if it keeps giving me problems I will be very upset as I have already invested a good amount of money on it. Bought 3 extra mags, a custom holster and a few trips to the range and spent ammo.

The way things are now, buying the ammo I have spent already will be tough and I have another new 9mm I need to break-in and learn.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hey guys, just signed up after owning an s9 for a while now. Been shooting it and have had MANY FTE's, stovepipes and FTF's. I thought it was just a matter of time and breakin period. Today I went to the range and shot out of 1 of the original 10 rounders and used (3) 17 rounders, two of which are new. This outing produced more of the same and even worse a new problem. Slide failed to lock after final round several times. SMH. I have been using this weapon as my CW and this is making me lose confidence quickly.

The problems seem to happen after the gun warms up from a few rounds. I plan on going back and taking notes on the mags and ammo used. Never really documented results before but after doing some research tonight I will try to pin point the problem with some info & tips I read here.

Labeling the mags and figuring out if this slide lock issue is a mag problem. I'll check the springs and what kind are in there. I will do more research but this is not good. I have shot a good 400-550 rounds, possibly a little bit more. I shot the first JHP through it today also.

Before I finish this post I would add that I REALLY LIKE this gun. The ergo on it, is amazing. Seriously it just feels great and the sights really help me get on target quickly and very accurately. Trigger is smooth as a babies booty. That said if it keeps giving me problems I will be very upset as I have already invested a good amount of money on it. Bought 3 extra mags, a custom holster and a few trips to the range and spent ammo.

The way things are now, buying the ammo I have spent already will be tough and I have another new 9mm I need to break-in and learn.
Many of the S9A1 needed the updated extractor and plunger. Mine did. Has yours had it? You can call Jeff @ SAI and he'll fix you up. My S9A1 had the same issues but has since smoothed out and has been 100% reliable for the last couple hundred rounds.

·
Registered
142 Posts
what ammo are you using??? the federal stuff from wal mart does not work well,
try some higher power ammo and see if the problem fixes itself

·
Registered
632 Posts
Not to say your a bad shooter.

But I relate stovepipes to limp wristing.

I've never personally seen anyone get a stovepipe otherwise.

If the shell is not fully ejecting before the action resets, that means the slide is not going back far enough to throw the brass.
So it just touches the extractor and doesn't fling out the brass before the next action of the slide which thus closes it in causing a stove pipe.

I'd look into the lubrication you are using on the slide rails to start with.

If your using a really heavy sticky lubricant, you might be throwing the timing of the fire arm off giving the gun the effect of limp wristing it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not to say your a bad shooter.

But I relate stovepipes to limp wristing.

I've never personally seen anyone get a stovepipe otherwise.

If the shell is not fully ejecting before the action resets, that means the slide is not going back far enough to throw the brass.
So it just touches the extractor and doesn't fling out the brass before the next action of the slide which thus closes it in causing a stove pipe.

I'd look into the lubrication you are using on the slide rails to start with.

If your using a really heavy sticky lubricant, you might be throwing the timing of the fire arm off giving the gun the effect of limp wristing it.
It could be on the stovepipes. BUT that is not really happening as much misfeeds. The cartridge seems to come up misaligned to the left and it gets stuck. I have yet to go back but I will call SAI and see about getting the extractor kit.

·
Registered
632 Posts
It could be on the stovepipes. BUT that is not really happening as much misfeeds. The cartridge seems to come up misaligned to the left and it gets stuck. I have yet to go back but I will call SAI and see about getting the extractor kit.
I'm not sure man, that is kinda weird.

I'd try some thinner lube and see if that makes a difference honestly.

Just clean the rails and use some regular hoppies oil on it and see what happens, or some 3in1 oil, something thin.

Another thing to try is to load up some magazines, go to a safe place and manually rack rounds though the gun.
I usually use a bucket of sand or point it at the mound out back.

If your not getting missfeeds manually slamming the slide back and letting it loose to ride home on its own, it's definitely a lube issue.

Don't ride the slide home, just rack it back hard like its firing. As hard as you possibly can.

And just because I hate accidents.
Keep your damn finger off the trigger plz. =)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts