New Steyr SSG'04

Discussion in 'Other Rifles' started by Bushdog, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Bushdog

Bushdog New Member

Finally got the paperwork sorted and have the SSG'04 in hand.

Its a handsome rifle. I have only had a chance to zero it and try a limited number of rounds (30 total) through it.

Initial feelings are favourable: I like the trigger pull (no idea what the weight is, but I would guess 3-4lbs), I like the shooting position with my Leupold 3-9 MR/T scope on medium mounts, I like the effects of the muzzle-break (although no-one else at the range appeared to appreciate it!).

It shot slightly under 1" groups with RG 155gn Small Mark ammo (Palma Match), and about the same with a 168gn BTHP reload. Have not chrono'd anything through it yet.

It seems to suit me, though, and I look forward to shooting it more, and developing a load specifically for it. Its not too heavy to shoot "off-hand" if necessary, and I could carry it all day if I had to.

I like it.

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Sounds like a keeper! Care to grace us with some pictures? I'd love to see the setup...

3. Bushdog

Bushdog New Member

Syntax - I will try and get some pictures taken this weekend. I warn you, though, I'm not David Bailey....

Given the added complexity in changing rifles with our licensing system, you can bet it will be with me for a while!
    The good thing about that is that it tends to make you think more carefully about what you want a particular piece for, rather than just buying everything that takes your eye.

4. Bushdog

Bushdog New Member

I'm afraid I've failed in getting the pictures I took posted on a website, so can't share them with anyone.

I'm looking forward to shooting the SSG04 in our club Fullbore Match, which has stages at 100, 200, 300, 500 & 600m.

The stages will include moving penalty/bonus targets, and will be based on timed fire,with limited movement. It should be good fun! I will post a note on how we get on (unless I am too ashamed!).

5. Bushdog

Bushdog New Member

Well - the club competition was more than a week ago. Considering I had never fired the SSG 04 beyond 100m before, I was very pleased with my performance with it. I misunderstood the scoring system on the figure 11 targets at 300, which certainly didn't help my overall score, but I did pretty well at 500 on figure 11, 12 and a bonus moving 12. For some reason I did not do too well at 600, despite an opportunity to check zero at that distance (the cof ran from 300m - 100m, with zeroing at 300, and then moved back to 600m with sighters again allowed and then moved forward to 500m with no further sighters allowed).

I "guestimated" my scope settings based on info from my ballistic programme, and it was pretty much spot on. The wind was a bit of a trial at the longer ranges, though.

All in all great fun, and a great start with the new gun. I like it very much.

6. lobster

lobster New Member

I was wondering if you happen to know what the threading was on the rifle? I am pretty sure it is metric , right handed or left handed ? what is the pitch? I ask bc I have also just ordered one, caint wait to get it. Any thing new since your last thread? I would love to here more about it.

7. Bushdog

Bushdog New Member

Lobster-Sorry, I do not. Haven't been brave enough to pull the brake off, yet. Its on very tight. My dealer was happy to get a moderator for me (I think it was a T8 he was suggesting). The owners booklet doesn't go into that sort of detail, either, unfortunately.
    Tedious things like making a living have got in the way of shooting it as much as I would have liked, but loads with 168gn HPBT match bullets (tried Speer and Hornady) all group less than 1" @ 100, with best loads getting into less than 0.5", which is all that I can expect. The muzzle brake is actually pretty effective, but LOUD. Have not really had a chance to shoot it at distance, but am still very impressed with it. I think you'll enjoy yours.

8. lobster

lobster New Member

Bushdog, My ssg 04k just arrived !! Wow !! What a beautifull looking rifle. Feels good in the hand, not heavy at all. I wrote steyr an e- mail and asked them what direction the muzzel brake unscrews. I also posted that question here on the forum. I want to find out which way to turn it b4 I start cranking on it. Have picked up the fed. 168gr ammo. Anxious to go shoot it, but it's snowing today and I have to work, dam it. That hammer forged barrel looks great. I will post later after I get a chance to sight it in.

9. Bushdog

Bushdog New Member

Hi Lobster. Glad you like the rifle. Have you had a chance to shoot it yet? Looking at the log-book I set up for mine, I have fired around 350 rds through it so far, and accuracy still seems to be improving.

168gn Federals should go fine in it, I have used various 155, 165 and 168gn bullet loads in mine and all seem to shoot pretty well. Best group so far has been with Hornady SST 165gn bullets (this is the load I normally stalk with).

Like you, work keeps getting in the way of opportunities to shoot it, but I am enjoying it so far. Let me know how you get on with putting a moderator on it - as I said before, I intend to do the same with mine (when the money tree bears fruit again!), and would be interested in your experience.

10. lobster

lobster New Member

Bush dog, I took it to the range the other day, It grouped about an inch at 100 yds. Plan to go again and use some federal 168 gr bthp. I know I can get better groups. Didn't have alot of time or the right ammo. I found out the muzzle brake comes off twisting it to the left, per the steyr armorer at steyr. Just waiting for my next chance to go to the range

11. Bushdog

Bushdog New Member

Stick with it, Lobster. As I say, I think my group sizes are shrinking the more I fire it!! (maybe there's a lesson there...)