New Steyr owner

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Bradm2, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Bradm2

Bradm2 New Member

After several years of wanting one, I purchased a new M9-A1 on Thursday. I have been intrigued by them after seeing them in CDNN several years ago. Three times I stumbled onto them at gun shows and pawn shops, but, never made the purchase. I was in the market for a new 9mm and had been tossing around the XD(had one previously) and the FNS. Stopped into the local Cabela's and there was the Steyr sitting there at a reasonable price. No hesitation, I bought it.

Per my usual with new pistols, I took it to my Dad's farm and ran about 75 rounds of the cheapest crap I could find before cleaning and lubing. Had several FTE's per mag after the first mag of 5. Had some issues at the end of the gun not going into battery. Took the gun home, disassembled, thoroughly cleaned, generously lubed and boxed it up. Took it out this morning in sub freezing temps wit driving snow. Shot WWB and several different hand loads. FLAWLESS! It ate everything and never missed a beat. After reading some of the horror stories on here last night, I was expecting the worst. I was very pleased. I will throw this out there, The recoil spring is very heavy and I had problems operating it by hand. I made sure I lubed it up well. All in all, I was exceptionally pleased with the gun. I haven't quite got the hang of the sights yet, but, it grouped great. The groups weren't exactly where I was aiming(or at least thought I was aiming), but, they were tight. I was holding point of aim and it seems to be shooting 6 o'clock hold(high). When the weather warms up a bit, I will get dialed in. Overall I am very pleased. I would suggest lubing the recoil spring with REM oil to those who are experiencing problems and see if that doesn't help. That spring is very stiff and the follower is pretty snug to the guide rod.

Brad

2. blueorison

blueorison Member

welcome to the club!

Awesome report, glad everything is working out. When you get Steyr's to work, it is fun and games.

I'm still waiting for a good deal on the new gen of Steyrs. Mine was sent to SAI just a couple weeks ago to get fixed, and I've decided it's time for a new one.

3. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Isn't this the second time you've sent it in, blueorison?

4. blueorison

blueorison Member

The drop safety broke, then the firing pin broke. SAI fixed everything, because they're awesome :)

The trigger now is really heavy, about 7lbs. A little too heavy for me to comfortably shoot in competition. I've used it for competition for about 2 years now.

Hope to try the new gen trigger; if it is good enough, I'll get one.