New Steyr owner!

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Dobry, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Dobry

Dobry Guest

This is a repeat of what I put in the 'newbie' thread, but I'm so excited!...

I made my decision, and I went with the M9. Called CDNN, and my new pistol is on it's way! :D

The owner of the shop/range actually was excited for me, as I don't think many (if any) Steyrs' have come thru there. Maybe I'll get the shop guys interested. ;)

Should be in next Tuesday, and I'll give a report. :D

2. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

congrats, dont forget to stock up on ammo.

3. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

And be sure to give it a good clean and lube before hitting the range...

Welcome aboard!

4. Dobry

Dobry Guest

Will do, with pleasure I'm sure. :wink:

Any quick suggestions or thoughts on holsters for civilian carry would be appreciated... I'm searching the forum now, doing my homework.

Thanks guys.

5. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I love my Blade-Tech UCH. Are you leaning towards leather or kydex? I would advise you to stay away from glove leather holsters...

6. madecov

madecov Active Member

DeSantis makes a pancake.
    There is a ton of info in the Holsters forum.

7. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Congrats again.
    Are you looking for IWB or OWB and is there a price limit?

8. Dobry

Dobry Guest

Thanks SELFDEFENSE, and no, there's no price limit, within reason of course.
    I was just looking at the UCH's. IWB. But this is my first defensive pistol/CCW so I'm trying to get as much advice as I can. I'm a small guy (5'6") with a semi-stocky frame (meaning meaty in the middle :wink: ). Also, I want to work my way up in the IDPA. So that's also a consideration, and I'd need a holster that qualifies at least for Novice.

The shop/range where I've trained and practice has not been much help on this topic. So, again, any advice toward small guys would be appreciated. I'm also waiting to hear back from the area IDPA guys. I figured they could advise me, especially for what I would need in a holster and other equipment to work up into the Novice ranks.

9. SELFDEFENSE

I prefer IWB (even tuckables) with one anchor point. I currently use High Noon tuckables for $35 which are servicable for carry, but I doubt are IDPA approved.
    Milt Sparks and Blade Tech are top in the leather and Kydex worlds. As mentioned before, the Holster Forum sticky has a bunch of makers for Steyrs. You can also look at holster discussions in very active forums like GlockTalk, to get an idea about the makers you see listed in the Steyr Forum sticky.
    Good luck.

10. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

Dobry, the Blade-Tech SRB (Sting Ray Belt) Holster is IDPA approved and not horribly expensive @ $65. I plan on getting one when I have the extra $$$. I don't yet have one so I can't speak to it, but as evidenced above Steyr Club members speaks well of Blade-Tech's UCH.

I recently bought a Concealco IWB holster but I can't use it without suffering significant hip pain b/c my pants are too tight to accomodate the holster and gun. So now I have to buy pants a couple sizes bigger. Sigh. For now I will have to settle for the open Hawaiian shirt over the T-shirt method while carrying my G23 in a Blackhawk! Serpa holster. This keeps me from carrying regularly.

11. Dobry

Dobry Guest

Just picked up my new M9, and I'll give it a good clean and lube this afternoon. I'll take it back to the range tomorrow.

Very excited... it's a beautiful pistol.

12. SELFDEFENSE

Range report, range report 8)