Steyr Club Forums banner

New Steyr Owner – The Good, the Great, and the Slightly Concerning…

21K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  tuicatuica 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello Steyr Club! I’m glad to be a member of the forum. I recently purchased a Steyr C9-A1 from a local shop in Tempe, AZ. After handling the gun, I had to have it. The Steyr sits so well in the hand and the trigger feels amazing. I can't believe how quickly and accurately I can shoot this gun. The thing almost shoots itself. I love love the trapezoidal sights and the low bore axis. The magazines are top notch. The magazine well is a little tight for quick reloads but nothing I can’t get used to with practice. The stock grip is a little smooth for my liking. I have already installed rubbed Talon grips to give me a more familiar, secure grip (I have the same grips on my PPS). I have placed an order for Big Taco’s delrin striker cups. If you can make a great trigger even smoother, why not spend the 12 bucks?

The Steyr does so many things right that I’m ready to sell my old reliable G19, almost. I have experienced 16 FTEs (spent casing is still in the chamber) in the 400 rounds fired through the gun. I cleaned and lubed the Steyr before my first range trip. I also made sure to remove and clean the extractor and plunger spring channel on the slide. On both range trips, the gun seemed to run well once it was “warmed up.” The last 80 of 200 rounds were trouble free on the first range visit. And the last 60 of 200 rounds cycled without a hiccup on the second trip. I’m not shooting the best ammo (Freedom Munitions 115gr reloads), but I have never had an issue in thousands of rounds of this ammunition through my other handguns. I have contacted SAI and David is sending me a new extractor. I have read on the forums of using a 1911 plunger spring inside the stock extractor spring to alleviate extraction issues. I have 2 springs on the way from Midway USA and hopefully this will do the trick.

Do any of you have any other suggestions to increase reliability? Heavier, hotter ammo? FYI: the date code on my C9-A1 is SWF, so it’s born on date is June 2014. Thanks in advance for any recommendations. Cheers.

See less See more
#4 ·
I thought op mentioned he talked to David and he is sending a new extractor. Like other said, that should fix the problem.
One thing, reloads are usually a suspect. The case might not be in spec or the power might be lower. While you are waiting for the new extractor, why not get 2 boxes of blazer or American eagle and see if there is any more issue.
Good luck.

#5 ·
I had a ton of trouble with an L9 on extraction, despite it already having a new extractor installed by the previous owner. It wouldn't extract anything below 147 gr ammo, and was having at least one failure to extract per magazine even with the 147 gr. Jeff from SAI sent me a new extractor anyway after I spoke to him, just to be on the safe side. I did the 1911 plunger spring trick which I read on this forum along with installing the new extractor, and didn't have problems after that. I think reinforcing the Steyr's extractor spring with the 1911 plunger spring within it was the main thing that helped, since the extractor Jeff sent was the same as the one already installed (though I still replaced it with the one Jeff sent just to be on the safe side).

#6 ·
Jeff at Sai will tell you or he should that these guns were based on the 40 cal platform ie really tite slide spring, on top of that the latest extractor is a must! 115 grain will give u fte,s in this gun so go up to 124 or 147 at those grains I have zero problems plus during edc your gonna run higher grain fmj hollow anyway,I trust her for edc but you gotta run higher grain,go browse all my posts they speak to all these issues,M9 A1 1000 rds thru her every day carry.

#8 ·
Thank you all for your responses. I am going to try the new extractor and some heavier bullets. If I'm still having issues, I will add a 1911 plunger spring to the mix and see how it goes. I will post an update once I have time to visit the range.

#9 ·
I own older models of the M9-A1, M9, and S9, and never has a hiccup with any of them running all types of ammo, including my reloads - EXCEPT Blazer aluminum. Plenty of fte's there.

I personally prefer the`147gr. JHP for self defense, so that's what I practice with. My reloads for practice and Speer Gold Dot for the "real stuff".

#10 ·
I went back to the range this past weekend with a trimmed down 1911 plunger spring inserted inside the stock extractor spring. The gun now eats everything! I shot 50 rounds of 124gr American Eagle, 50 rounds of 124gr reloads, and 100 rounds of 115gr Freedom Munitions reloads. The ejection of the spent brass was also much more uniform to my 3-4 o'clock. I'm still waiting for a new extractor from SAI and may give it a whirl when it arrives. However, I'm very pleased that a 3 dollar "upgrade" seems to have made my Steyr a reliable weapon. On a side note, Big Taco's glide rite striker cups have made my trigger even smoother. The small amount of creep that existed after depressing the trigger safety is now gone. After another another few hundred rounds (including a few mags some 124gr HSTs), I intend to relegate my G19 to the safe. Thanks again for everyone's sound advice. Cheers.

#12 ·
Ditto to being happy that is issue is worked out....I feel that these pieces are functional works of art....and the least we do to them to have them run smoothly, the better....a $3 spring is like nothing and can make such a difference.....When a spring has lost the proper tension, that just goes under routine maintenance that any and every mechanical device may need from time to time....Wishing you years of problem free shooting with that beauty....

#13 ·
I went back to the range this past weekend with a trimmed down 1911 plunger spring".

"On a side note, Big Taco's glide rite striker cups have made my trigger even smoother. The small amount of creep that existed after depressing the trigger safety is now gone".
Hi Bozzie, i have broken your comments into 2 parts since i have questions regd both.

1. are you referring to the 1911 spring as a "trimmed down spring" or are you trimming it down yourself, if so how?

2. does the BigTaco Glide Rite solution work with older version M9 models that came with a manual safety at the bottom of the slide inside the trigger guard? PS i know the safety has nothing to do with it, im just describing the model i have.

thx

#14 ·
Hello Kalakov,

The 1911 plunger spring is installed inside the stock extractor spring and will protrude slightly as it is a bit longer. I trimmed 1-2 coils from the plunger spring so that it was flush with the stock spring. I have had no extraction issues since making this change.

From what I understand, Big Taco's glide rite cups will work with older and newer models alike.

I hope this was helpful. Cheers.

#16 ·
Another question..has anyone installed the 1911 plunger spring as is..no trimming with success?
The spring will need to be trimmed otherwise it won't fit being the extractor and the extractor can not be placed back in the slide. If you don't trim it far enough you may be able to get it in but then (as I have experienced) the gun will not eject a round when you rack it without the magazine in.

#17 ·
While you are waiting for the new extractor, why not get 2 boxes of blazer or American eagle and see if there is any more issue.
I'm still getting used to my '13 M9A1. I picked up some Remington 115gr FMJ ammo and Blazer 115 FMJ ammo. The M9 ate the 50 rounds of Remington without any issues. I had two ejection failures with the Blazer ammo.

I'm guessing a 2013 M9 should have the new extractor design. Can anyone confirm this or should I talk to Steyr? I'll be on the lookout for a 1911 plunger spring at the next gun show. This thread has me curious to try heavier bullets.

#19 ·
Glad you worked this out. Perhaps a stupid question is why doesn't Steyr alter their extractor springs so owners do not have to perform this operation on a new $500 pistol? If they have redesigned this, I withdraw my comment. PS - Love my M40A1. Never had a problem...;-)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.