New Steyr M40A1 Magazine Article

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Buzz, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Yesterday at the supermarket while picking up the ingredients for shrimp creole I visited the magazine rack. The one gun magazine that I didn't already have was "The Complete Book of Autopistols" (2007) put out by Harris Outdoor Magazines. It has two HK USPs on the cover. The Steyr article is called "Gun Test: Steyr M-A1 .40S&W- Compact, lightweight, reliable, accurate-what more could you want?" I've only had a chance to skim the article but it's very positive in all aspects.

Also in the mag are very postive articles about two of my most recent acquisitions, the CZ97B and the Ruger P90. I'm one happy camper.

BTW, are gun magazine articles ever negative?

2. mikey

mikey Guest

Nope: as you surmised, with the rarest of exceptions, gun magazine reviews are NEVER negative. :lol:

Is this review, by the way, by Massad Ayoob? He really liked the original M40 way back when it first came out (the main reason I bought one back in 2000) and I heard a while back that he had a test of the new A1 in the works.

Of today's crop of gunwriters, Ayoob, I think, ranks as among the better ones. While he won't always flat-out say something's crap, he's usually at least marginally objective - not a complete rah-rah guy.

3. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

I agree about Ayoob. I wish that the magazine writers were more objective and less concerned about adcvertising dollars. I suppose it comes with the territory, but many of the articles amount to little more than informational puff pieces where you can't even read between the lines to get more. At least with Ayoob you can tell when he really likes something, and when he really dislikes something.

This all leaves us in large part to get our information from the Internet. One is left to to decipher what there is as there is a code to break so that you can discern what is good information and what is crap. My primary rule is to only listen to people who have actual experience with a gun or gun item. I don't want to hear what someone's father-in-law's son's best friend's cousin's dentist had to say. The same with ka-booms and ka-boom causation. It's also easy to pick out the bigtime negative guy who goes from thread to thread trashing a gun because he has an ax to grind. There's a lot to filter out.

I've found that the best information comes from forums like this one where the members are all dedicated to one gun or brand of gun. There will be much more spirited advocacy, but there will also be more frank and candid discussions regarding the pros and cons.

BTW, FWIW, the new Steyr article is written by Mike Boyle.

Buzz

4. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

In (mild) defense of gun rags.

I think the plethora of enthusiastic reviews has to do with the many high quality guns that are being made. When I was shopping for a medium sized DAO or striker fired .40, I was kind of amazed at the number of viable candidates not to mention other great guns. Sig, S&W, Glock, Springfield, Beretta, CZ, FN, H&K, even Stoeger, I looked at a bunch of guns before I settled on the Steyr. It was only because of price that I didn't go with a Sig or H&K. I had never held a CZ before. My dealer had a CZ 75 B Police in 9mm that felt fantastic. I wouldn't be surprised if I end up with one some day. The FN seems like a very good gun too.

Basically, the consumer can get pretty much whatever s/he desires, DA/SA, DAO, striker, SA, polymer, steel, small, medium, large, sub-compact, micro, and get it in a highly reliable, high quality gun.

I don't recall seeing a review in a gun mag of anything by Hi-Point, or back in the day, Llama, or Jennings, or Lorcen. (I do own a Llama, and it functions flawlessly, and shoots accurately, but the sites are too small, the metal is soft and the finish is wearing badly; ultimately it ends up being a good plinker.) Gun rags don't tend to review junk, and I think besides reliablility, accuracy, quality of fit and finish and trigger pull, everything else is pretty much dependent on personal preference. And honestly, if a gun is cheap, but functions reliably and is decently accurate, the rags will give it a good review, which I think is fair.

Oh, and I agree about Ayoob. I respect the hell out of him. I am looking forward to meeting him in May!

5. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Never mind the derned pistols, how'd the shrimp creole turn out?

:lol: yummm
    Ben

6. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

My best yet! In the past I had only used sweet onions, but this time I also added green onions and got some fresh cayenne pepper. Wonderful stuff.

Posterboy, you do make some good points about the quality of guns that we are dealing with, but not all are perfect and some are better than others. A prime exampe is the one writer in the issue of the mag which I have referred to who wrote the article on the CZ97B. He only mentions in passing the size of the gun, and that is a huge issue. He loves the ergonomics but fails to mention that the gun requires very large hands to shoot double action. This is a huge limiting factor as to ownership. He describes the safety and slide stop as easy to reach. The safety is just reachable for someone with fairly large hands (myself) and the slide stop is only reachable by King Kong. Anyone who had handled the gun would know that. I see this thing over and over again, and it is with guns that I know and own. These writers tend to gloss over factors that may well be important to a person. It's not about a gun being junk but more about recognizing that each gun has aspects to it that are peculiar to that gun, or issues, that may be of considerable importance to someone considering a purchase.

Another great example is the Steyr article. The writer in his wrap-up says that all he would do to improve the gun is to have interchageable backstraps to "address my concerns relative to the grip frame and shooter comfort". But, all he says on this issue in the article about the grip is that it is very comfortable and should accommodate a wide range of hand sizes. So where were those concerns about the grip frame and shooter comfort in the article? Not to be found.

That said, the Steyr article is very positive. I guess when they all are it diminishes a gun that should stand out.

Buzz

7. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Leeks work very well in Cajun food as well. I like them using leeks when I make etoufee, and also when I make the jazzed up Cajun/French style shrimp and grits.

I've never seen fresh cayenne, sounds like fun! Were they whole peppers, or frehly ground from dried peppers?

Ben

8. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

Good points, Buzz.

Maybe Steyr Club should have an off-shoot site that is basically an online gun magazine. Members could review guns, heck, have joint reviews involving multiple members, and follow a meaningful format, such as 1) identify the purpose of the gun, then 2) analyze how well the gun achieves its purpose, which would include accuracy, reliability, etc. and then 3) ergonomic and body size considerations. And we could foster a call-it-as-we-see-it policy, and multiple voice articles such as: Mike liked this, but I found the slide lever poorly placed....

...sounds like too much work.

9. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

LOL, yeah, too much work. I may complain about the gun mags, but in the meantime every time I'm in the grocery store I go right to the magazine racks! I really do enjoy them, flaws and all. I just wish that the guns that they list on the cover, allegedly in the magazine, were always there. I guess folks miss deadlines, and such.

All things said, I was glad that the MA1 got a good write-up.

Now I need to figure out whether tomorrow I'm going to go snatch up a used M40 with night sights, if it's still there. If not, maybe a Beretta 92-Two or a PT145. I do have an M9 (and M40A1) but an M40 would be a nice addition.

Cheaper to just buy a magazine.

Buzz

10. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

Yeah, but they are not as fun to shoot!

I too hit the magazine rack before check out hoping for a little fix.

11. smores

smores Guest

Re: In (mild) defense of gun rags.

This is almost exactly what happened to me, except once I got the CZ 75B in my hands I knew that's what I wanted. I had been obsessing over a Glock 32 for a long time, and I had made up my mind that I wanted one on my 21st birthday. The compactness, it felt better in my hand than full-size Glocks, and it could fire .357 and be converted to .40 very easily. Then I stumbled upon this site..... I loved the lines of the Steyr M-A1s, and decided I was going to get a M40-A1 if I didn't like the Glock at the shop. I went there... they only had an M9-A1, and I was going back and forth across the wall. I looked at H&K briefly, but they're just so expensive. The guy suggested I handle the CZ-75. I had heard they were great guns, I always thought they looked cool, and not everyone had them. It fit me so well, I just took about 10 seconds deciding between two-tone or black.

About Ayoob, I'm reading Combat Handgunnery, 5th Ed - which is written by him. I love this guy's style. He definitely knows guns, and everything that has to go with them. I would love to take a class from him some day.

12. DirtyHarry

DirtyHarry New Member

Speaking of ergonomics, who is the guy with the inordinately long thumb that designs everyone's mag releases, or do I just have the shortest thumb on record. :oops:

13. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

At least good to hear a positive Steyr vibe in print.

14. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

Dirty Harry, I realized I had a hard time finding my mag release when I was doing a tense reloading drill in class. Bigger would be nice... I also can't seem to count and shoot at the same time... :)