New S9A1 Range Report (PICS)

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by BulletBait, Feb 4, 2007.

1. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

HI! I'm one of the regular nuts at AR15.com and I've mostly lurked here in Steyr Club till now.

Back Story:

My old M9 has been great and I've recently decided to go with Steyr as my primary pistol.
    I've all ways been a 1911 guy, and the Steyr is the first plastic fantastic that's seemed worthy of buying and betting my life on.
    The two that seemed to fit my needs best were the S9A1 for CCW and a M357A1 just because it seems fun.
    I looked around and found a gun shop that had a M357A1.
    So I put a down payment on it and also ordered a S9A1 from Davidson's.

Well, I got the S9a1 from Davidson's today, but didn't get the M357a1 as the gun shop sold it out from under me by mistake. :(
    The owner apologized and after talking it over, he promised to order one and sell it to me at cost when (if) they get imported again.
    Or failing that a different gun that interests me.
    He also gave me a free box of ammo (the Speer) to help break in the S9 8)

So I collected the goods and headed out into the desert.

All crappy pics are belong to me.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A total 250 rounds were fired today.
    Ammo L to R:
    50rnds Speer 115G FMJ
    50rnds WWB 115G JHP
    50rnds WWB 147G TCMC
    100rnds WWB 115G Fmj
    [​IMG]

The "range"
    [​IMG]

After firing about 100 rounds without anything going wrong,
    I decided to try to make the gun jam by doing " BulletBait's Ultimate Limp Wrist Test ™ "
    This is done by making an "O" with your middle finger and your thumb.
    That way the only thing holding the pistol firmly and aiming it is your trigger finger!

[​IMG]

Only I am professional enough to handle a loaded gun and a camera at the same time 8-O
    I actually got into thinking about what pics to take for this post and then realized I'm getting too casual with a loaded weapon <STUPID> :oops:
    Anyway, you can see the "O" formed by my fingers, the loaded chamber indicator works (you just have to look at it) and the A1 barrel hood notch is larger than the older M9.

[​IMG]

The S9 handled it like a champ WITHOUT jamming!
    All she did was fail to lock back on the last shot.
    Even that probably won't happen after she is more broken in. \:D/
    Try that with a Block!

If you try this with your pistol:
    #1 Don't be stupid like me and wave it around, even if your alone.
    #2 Expect the pistol to slap your hand. (PIC)
    #3 So don't try this with a Magnum.

I had to photo enhance the crappy pic to show the welt it gave me after 10 rounds.

[​IMG]

After the above incident. I decided to put the camera away for my own good and finish shooting.
    On the last mag I also realized that I still hadn't done a 3 shot group yet :roll:
    Here it is fired at 30 feet.
    I pulled the last shot (wonder where that flinch started at :lol: )
    [​IMG]

At home, snug in the Uncle Mike's #15 used for open carry.

[​IMG]

Final report:
    250 rounds, no failures, despite my best (worst) efforts, accurate, no empty cases bounced off my head.
    She's quickly earning her keep.
    As soon as I can get another 300 rounds through her and a holster, she'll be my new CCW.

[​IMG]

BB

2. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Thanks for the report. Looks to be darn fine piece. I look forward to owning one.

I notice from the photo that the frame has the SAI Cumming Georgia stamp on it. That's the first of those I've seen. Even guns coming directly from SAI in December and January had the old stamp.

Buzz

3. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Congrats and you are already half way to being broken in.

4. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Nice post, Bullet* :)

I've kinda been countin' down the Davidson's inventory and as of a few minutes ago, there are 4 S9-A1's left. Hava great Superbowl Sunday. :p

Wulf

5. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

Thanks Guys.

The Colt's by 7 :lol:

6. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

7. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

:p