"New" S9 from CDNN used??

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Guest, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Upon inspecting and cleaning my brand new S9 tonight I noticed that the barrel had debris in it. The type of fouling you'd usually see after a trip to the range. Though I don't see any other wear marks on the slide The barrel appeared fired. Also the breach face looked to have carbon deposits on it with the notable circle from the rim of the round.

Also noted that on my 3 magazines I recieved on the top of the plastic part that sits on top of the spring that the rounds sit on top of(don't know the technical term for it) There was brass residue that I usually see on my Sig after a few trips to the range. It all cleared off easily with some hoppes but I'm just kinda confused.

Is the gun test fired extensively at the factory?

Are the "new factory mags" actually surplus from some sort of factory training demo's or something?

This is my first experience with CDNN and while the pricing is great I kinda expected a new gun to really look new inside.

2. FlaChef

FlaChef Guest

I believe the test firing at the factory is 1 round?
    at least it is w/ other manufacturers, anyone know different about steyr?

3. Guest

Guest Guest

If that was 1 round then I wanna know what kind of ammo they used so I can make sure I never buy any.

4. FlaChef

FlaChef Guest

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

5. Guest

Guest Guest

The S9's that are coming from CDNN have been sitting on the shelf for 4 years with a heavy preservative oil keeping the inards conditioned. I seriously doubt that after test firing that Steyr would clean the gun.

I have no explanation as to why your particular firearm is so fouled. You might want to give Brian a call at CDNN and see what he says about it.

Oh, and that plastic part of the mag you were refering to is called a "follower."

~Oz

6. madecov

madecov New Member

I would imagine test firing is more than one round. More like 3
    They have to make sure it at least cycles

7. Guest

Guest Guest

With my XD I got a small target that had been shot 5 times at 20 yards. If the gun is cosmetically fine on the outside I wouldn't worry about it too much. They probably test fired it at the factory with really dirty ammo.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Yeah it cleaned up perfectly. Even if it was "used" the price is still right. I was thinking about it and if it was sitting for a few years for all I know the crap in the barrel could be foam starting to break down from the case.

There weren't any wear marks on the breach or on the barrel itself (no smiles) or on the slides so it was clear that it hadn't been fired much.

The brass on the mag follower though is still bothersome but again a little hoppes took care of that right away.