New S40 Owner

Discussion in 'New Member Check-In' started by 1224bret, Aug 12, 2007.

1. 1224bret

1224bret Guest

Hey guys I just bought a S40 from a friend of mine this week I couldnt seem to find any info on it until I found this site but I still have a few questions, How reliable is this gun really? Ive fired a few hundred rounds through it and only had one failure to extract shooting cheap range ammo and no other problems, its a really good shooting gun, Question #2 Will I be able to find S40 parts if it does break? I see that they dont make these any more but do they still make parts for them or will I have a throw away gun if it breaks in a couple of years? How hard is it to find someone to work on them or do you have to send them back every time they break? And are there any problems with this model that I should keep an eye on? I know I have a lot of questions but I really like the gun and I want to know as much info about it as I can.

2. squirrelpotpie

squirrelpotpie Premium Member

Hi 1224Brett,

Hopefully I've got to you in time to answer your questions before all of the notorious Steyr Lemon-Aid drinkers chime in.

#1) re Reliability.....sure there are tales of folks on this site putting hundreds of rounds down range through an S40 without any troubles. I assure you they are the lucky ones. It is only a matter of time or a few thousand rounds at most until you experience another horrible FTE. The only way to totally eliminate the possibility of experiencing an FTE with one of these S40s is to unload the gun to a kind hearted selfless gun nut like me in hopes of recovering a small portion of your investment.

#2) re Parts Availability.... alas Steyr is not currently exporting S40s to the US, and who knows if their promises of future shipments will ever materialize. Rather than going through the hassle of trying to find replacement parts if something breaks in another twenty thousand rounds or so you should consider dumping this thing on a kind hearted selfless gun nut like myself at your earliest possible convenience. (PS - please ignore any postings you might find on this site suggesting you can just drop in M series .357 & .40 barrels or use modified M series Mags for extra capacity. These folks are known deviants and not to be trusted; after all, who in their right mind would use interchangeable parts from different models - just because they could.)

#3) re Other Problems.... the only real problem with these S40s is the lengths that people will go to in order to talk you into selling them yours. Your best hope of avoiding this problem is just getting rid of the thing as soon as you can to a selfless gun nut like me who doesn't mind dealing with all the terrible "issues" these guns are known for.

selflessly awaiting your PMd offer to sell....

squirrel

3. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya *bret :)

Don't listen to Squirrel*! He's just tryin' ta get ya to sell your S40 POS for cheap! I'll give ya $300 for it cash on the barrel, just ta save ya the embarrassment of ownin' one. :shock: Let me know! :twisted:

Wulf

4. 1224bret

1224bret Guest

Ok so this is a horrible horrible gun that isnt really worth anything so I should just sell it. :roll: Well seems like everything I buy ends up in this worthless catagory so I think I will just keep it so that I dont feel Im cheating you guys out of your money. :roll: Seriously though Im not planning on selling If you guys want one so bad Ill take that as it is not a bad gun.

5. Lolita

Lolita Guest

One of the best pistol, ever. The design, the material, the performance. Anyone will want them, and since you're in Steyr Club---Members will want them so bad.

6. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Yes, the S40 is one of the mostly highly sought after Steyr pistols - probably only second to the almost-mythical S40A1.

7. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya *bret :)

Me an' Squirrel* was just funnin' ya, Bro. <shrug> They're great firearms and if I had one, I'd getta S357 barrel from IGB and convert it to an S357...the rarest of the M and S Series pistols to date. :shock: And by the way, SAI services 'em and there's no better place to send it for repairs and upgrades. OK, so I'll go $325.00 and my wedding ring for that ol' POS. :twisted: Welcome to The Club. :)

Wulf

8. 1224bret

1224bret Guest

Thanks guys I really love the gun except for the FTE I get once in a while 275 rounds this weekend 2 FTEs both when the gun was cold within the first mag (am I better off sending it back to sai for an upgrade or just doing the 1911 plunger spring fix?) I dont think its been used much judging by the wear I see. What would be the benifit of getting the 357 barrel for it? Thanks for all the info Bret

9. squirrelpotpie

squirrelpotpie Premium Member

since it is a used gun and it already has at least a few hundred rounds through it
    -check out Hi Ho Silver's extractor tutorial on the home page and give it a thorough cleaning
    -if that doesn't solve the extraction problem consider sending it to SAI

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the club.
    The S40 is widely considered to be a fine gun and you can find a lot of information with the search tool on this site.

10. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

most important thing with s40 is guide rod alignment!!! make sure that when you re-assemble the gun, you line the guide rod up. with the slide upside down and when looking from the breech end of the gun, the guide rod needs to be centered relative to the locking lug. if it is off center, it can hit the little tabs inside the frame and crack them. if they crack or are already cracked, no worries!! the gun runs fine. but having a non-cracked s40 DOUBLES the value in my opinion.

your best bet is a good thorough cleaning. strip the slide and pull the sub-frame from the grip. hose it all down/ lube it all up. be careful when lubing the firing pin and firing pin channel. wipe the lube on and wipe it all off. just leave a film.

also, i can make my s40 jam like clockwork if i tap all the rounds forward in the mag. but...

when tapping all the rounds to the rear of the mag, i haven't had a malfunction of any kind in countless thousands of rounds.

tapping the mag is the key.

unfortunately, if you want to sell it... you're going to have to settle for top dollar. the s40 is very sought after.

11. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Dangit :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

My S40 is still at least a week away from me.....

...and all this talk is really getting me... uh..... frustrated :x :x :x :x

...I SO cant wait to get my very own S40!!!!!!

:? :?

12. banksa

banksa New Member

This was to funny!!