Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yes, that's about the size of it!

100 rounds, 50 Remington UMC 165 grain JHP, 50 Federal 165 grain FMJ. The gun is brand spankin' new, CWO date code. I was loading one magazine with the UMCs, then I'd shoot one magazine with the Federals, and alternate magazines.

First 30-40 rounds were uneventful save two light primer strikes on Remington rounds. Those come to figure greater later on. About the 40th round, I had a real bad FTE on a Federal round that required the intervention of a cleaning rod to knock loose. That was the only FTE in the 100 round event.

What I had was failure to return to battery. After about 50 rounds, it was eight rounds put of a ten round magazine, and it did not matter what I was shooting, how I held the gun, or what I did, the slide would not return to battery after a shot and I'd have to push it in with my thumb. Once I did that it fired fine, then I'd have to thumb it in for the next round, then it might go two or three and then I'd have to thumb it closed again for four or five.

I did learn this: If you're getting one of these episodes where you suddenly have an unreasonably heavy trigger pull and then a light primer on that round, it's because you're not in battery. If you're getting light primer hits, you are likely not in battery.

You know, I'm packing this thing because I don't have anything else suitable for carry. It is a little disconcerting to know that after the first round I might not get any more unless I remember to smack the slide closed.

Hubby wanted to chuck it and tomorrow as soon as we get out of work-back to the LGS and demand a return. I said, not quite so fast. I read on here that these things routinely suck for like the first 300 rounds. I'd thought that was a 9mm issue but apparently it is a .40 issue too. Nevertheless, I want to put another 100-150 through it before I give it up. It shoots like a laser at all ranges. I love the sights and I'd hate to swap it back to them.

Figuring that it might be a lubrication issue, I changed up the lube I used. When I brought it ome earlier today I cleaned it and then lubed it with some FP-10. That's given me great service in SIGs and Glocks over the years but it is more a dry kind of lube than CLP is. So I'm guessing that given the onset of the problem-after I'd been shooting a little-it might be lubrication related. If these are such tight guns, lubrication might be an issue. So this time I used CLP and went heavy on the slide rails. And I pulled out my snap caps and I'm zip-gunning it through ejection cycles to work it in.

I once had this Colt Defender that I truly loved. But it did not love me. It jammed every third round no matter what ammunition I used, no matter what magazines I used, and no amount of tweaking helped. Hubby finally put his foot down and proclaimed it toast. That was three years ago and I've gone through a couple guns a year ever since. I'm hoping that I get this one sorted and that we don't have another nice, but not nice enough going on!

Edit: Noticed something else. When it's in battery and otherise ready to shoot, it seems like it is awful easy to knock the slide backwards from the front. Think "press-checking" a 1911 to see if it is loaded. It takes no pressure at all. Is the spring in these things that weak? It would answer a lot of questions.

·
Registered
632 Posts
the not going fully into battery thing is weird and sounds like you might have had a powder build up in the chamber?

Mine gave me a fit for 2 or 3 rounds one time cause it got full of powder in there. Cleaned it and went back to the same ammo and had no issues. It was sort of annoying in a way, but I was shooting cheap bulk ammo and could visibly tell there was powder everywhere that was un-burnt in the gun.

The lubrication on these things is very important.
I dont want to say they are fussy all around, but I think they are fussy at the start until you learn the character of your gun.

I trust mine to carry it.

As you saw in the other thread, the slide movement is due to the recoil spring and firing pin spring fighting with each other.

After further thought with this, I believe it will eventually eliminate itself when the springs are wore in.

I have not heard from anyone on here with a high round count if theirs will do it, only new users are reporting it.
Seeing as its resting on a roller bearing while cocked, it has hardly any resistance and since the recoil spring and firing pin spring are canceling each other out, your seeing the area of limbo on it.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Steyrs really don't like UMC. That has been a problem ammo as long as I've been a member here. It burns dirty, isn't necessarily round, and sometimes the OAL is wrong. If you were shooting UMC with the Federal that could have caused part of the problem. As far as a weak slide spring, If you can measure the spring rate, you might want to give SteyrArms a call and chat with Jeff. Tell him your problems, they are quick to support Steyr owners.

Glad you love the sights, and this is a great site to get problems sorted out.

Reactions: Talyn

·
Registered
121 Posts
Lots of guys know more about these guns than me. My new S9-A1 was givng me trouble. i just wipped off all the lube on the slide rails and made up my mind to run abour 500rnds through it before I contacted Steyr. It has settled in now and the last 200 rounds has been uneventful. Hopefully, it's ready to go now. I'll know soon because I intend to shoot the snot out of it for the next moth or two. I have run 150 rounds of UMC 115 HP loads with no issues yet. It is nasty ammo for sure. Steyr has an excellent reputation for helping it's customers so I would not bail out just yet.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Finally held an S40-A1 at a Gun Show yesterday. Really like it, and would like to purchase one someday, but these "trouble posts" give me pause. Glocks & XD's (at least my six), never fail to do anything but shoot everything I load in the magazine with boring regularity - right out of the box! Perhaps a bit less accurate than the Steyrs? I'll take that - and retain the reliability. Thanks for the post! Cheers, and Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Finally held an S40-A1 at a Gun Show yesterday. Really like it, and would like to purchase one someday, but these "trouble posts" give me pause. Glocks & XD's (at least my six), never fail to do anything but shoot everything I load in the magazine with boring regularity - right out of the box! Perhaps a bit less accurate than the Steyrs? I'll take that - and retain the reliability. Thanks for the post! Cheers, and Merry Christmas.
I wish my Glock was reliable.

·
Registered
121 Posts
When I first held my S9-A1 it was love at first grope. Ultimately, mine will settle in and be a reliable gun or as much as I do not want to i'll send it on down the road. You can see the obvious quality in the gun when you handle it. I am just sorta at a loss as to why the smart guys at Steyr have not jumped on this spotty reliability issue and snuffed it out. There are many gun brands out there that'll eat anything you put in them without complaint. Personally, I do not care for Glocks or XDs but I could name a half-dozen other guns that are eating most any ammo without complaint. I've got my fingers crossed. My S9-A1 has settled in and not had an issue in the last 150-200 rounds. The weather has been too wet here to shoot but it should be better by the weekend. Me and the S9 are going at again then.

·
Registered
632 Posts
When I first held my S9-A1 it was love at first grope. Ultimately, mine will settle in and be a reliable gun or as much as I do not want to i'll send it on down the road. You can see the obvious quality in the gun when you handle it. I am just sorta at a loss as to why the smart guys at Steyr have not jumped on this spotty reliability issue and snuffed it out. There are many gun brands out there that'll eat anything you put in them without complaint. Personally, I do not care for Glocks or XDs but I could name a half-dozen other guns that are eating most any ammo without complaint. I've got my fingers crossed. My S9-A1 has settled in and not had an issue in the last 150-200 rounds. The weather has been too wet here to shoot but it should be better by the weekend. Me and the S9 are going at again then.
Great post Wayne.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I wish my Glock was reliable.
Got rid of my Glock 19 gen 4 , just tired of FTE problems, and I did the recoil spring up grade, my gen 2 and early gen 3 have no problems, but nowhere near the accuracy of my M9 A1. I think Glock is going to have to upgrade their tooling machines,probably running same ones since 84.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Got rid of my Glock 19 gen 4 , just tired of FTE problems, and I did the recoil spring up grade, my gen 2 and early gen 3 have no problems, but nowhere near the accuracy of my M9 A1. I think Glock is going to have to upgrade their tooling machines,probably running same ones since 84.
They have not updated the design much.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Everyone should note that all arms manufacturers have moved to moulded injected metal (MIM) processes as opposed to machining for most of the parts within the weapon. This makes the weapons less expensive to make, and more affordable for us. The downside of that is that you can't or shouldn't have sharp edges on parts. They are hard to mould. The result is that extractors, which when machined from stock have precise edges, are rounded. This is why when Taln and some of the others have filed their extractors they get improvement. Stamped parts, like in the SIG 250, can have sharp edges.

I'm guessing there is a market for a machined extractor for the Steyr.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Everyone should note that all arms manufacturers have moved to moulded injected metal (MIM) processes as opposed to machining for most of the parts within the weapon. This makes the weapons less expensive to make, and more affordable for us. The downside of that is that you can't or shouldn't have sharp edges on parts. They are hard to mould. The result is that extractors, which when machined from stock have precise edges, are rounded. This is why when Taln and some of the others have filed their extractors they get improvement. Stamped parts, like in the SIG 250, can have sharp edges.

The Ejector is what I complain about, the extractor looks machined to me.

Oh no, you are correct on that, it is a mimed part.

little bit of tooopididity on my part. I should remember that crap.

The fit and finish of it vs the ejector is pretty good.

When I pulled mine I ran a stone on the sides to knock off any burs and just polished up the part that grabs the bullet.
I have not had a chance to test it yet because I want to modify the ejector at the same time with a stone to see if I can get us up a guide here on effecting brass throwing.

Due to the part being so sloppy vs the rest of the gun, it throws brass randomly.

I simply cannot rack the slide hard enough to throw brass strait up, it always throws perfect when I do it by hand.

Thanks for keeping my brain in check as always eth77.

·
Registered
121 Posts

Has your 75B ever given you problems eating and spitting out everything you put in it? Mine has not. Not disagreeing with your post about MIM parts but there are makers out there that have apparently taken steps to insure that any MIM parts do not affect reliability. I know Steyr is pretty heavy in the police market in Austria and I can't imagine some of the backlash departments over there would give them if the guns they were getting from Steyr were troubled with FTE issues.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Has your 75B ever given you problems eating and spitting out everything you put in it? Mine has not. Not disagreeing with your post about MIM parts but there are makers out there that have apparently taken steps to insure that any MIM parts do not affect reliability. I know Steyr is pretty heavy in the police market in Austria and I can't imagine some of the backlash departments over there would give them if the guns they were getting from Steyr were troubled with FTE issues.
That was my thought.

Not sure how that works.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I can say that mine didn't settle down. In fact, it got worse after another 150 rounds. Fifty of those were Federal white box .40s I got at the LGS when they told me the problem was ammo-related. I still had 10% failures, including two spectacular failures to extract, one of which sheared the case rim. That will get me killed on the street if I ever have to go for my pistol. I only have one Evil Black Handgun, and I carry it every day. Above all, it's got to be reliable. Though about Glocks, but I just don't like the way they feel and I've tried them over and over and ended up getting rid of them because of that.

Anyway, the S-40A1 is gone now. I took it back to the LGS and got a .40 Walther PPQ instead. The PPQ has been excellent, and with exactly the same 165 grain UMC hollowpoints and Federal FMJ trash I was shooting earlier. Out of the first 100 rounds I had one failure to feed with one of the UMCs, on the last round of the magazine, which I think was me bumping the slide release lever.

I'd still be interested in an original M9 or M40 if I ever ran across one; I like the safety a lot. Yo can't get those in the U.S. anymore.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Hiya Cat*

It's not likely that there will be anymore Steyr pistols with manual safeties imported to The States, ever again.

It was explained to me by one of our contacts from Steyr-Mannlicher in Austria that "the safety being located inside the trigger guard created a liability issue for S-M", here in The States.

The manual safety was never an issue for me because there are plenty of safeties incorporated into the design of the modern Steyr pistols without the need for a manual safety, but there are other SC members that would have jumped at the opportunity to have one.

Oh well....

Take care and congrats on your new PPQ, a very sound choice given the many polymer-tacticals available these days, IMHO.

Take care, Sis...an' hava great New Year. :)

Wulf <-- headin' back out for a lit'l mechanicin' on his ol' 4Runner *sigh*

I'd still be interested in an original M9 or M40 if I ever ran across one; I like the safety a lot. Yo can't get those in the U.S. anymore.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My C9A1 was terrible about returning to battery in the first 100 or 200 rounds, and I was really worried and disappointed, at first. I also had some light strikes. I switched to a different brand of ammo and waited for it to break in, and now it works just fine. Most every pistol will have a brand or two of ammo it doesn't like - I tend to avoid hard primers with mine, and everything's hunky-dory. Just let them break in for maybe 300-500 rounds before you make a decision.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Hay Talyn.. Wanna trade it for a nice M40?

Seriously though..Cat91 Try some gun grease on the rails and in the rail channels on the slide. Helped my M40 lockup and function a lot.
She said its gone already.

Not all pistols are perfect.

And no, not trading the glock 20 for an m40.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts